Universal Puzzle Strike (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 3, 2016.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Don't want to go online cause it is not async

The init set gets boring pretty fast and I am going to do the challenges for now.

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I wow they would add a one player tournanent mode... I'm an off line gamer who will try online but as I try to play I've been playing with one player to learn their skill and choose to go through and play each character. While it is fun, adding a one player tournanent mode even fit just cosmetic structure instead of me playing against each character provide a sense of achievement. Or maybe it is an issue of accomplishment I want so some sort of one player track scoring... I believe it aka tracks online record games?

3. crushedguava

crushedguava Member

May 14, 2013
    Double Take can play chips from the DISCARD PILE!

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

I asked for the same for Yomi, but they never really considered it, sadly. I would love one such mode though.

5. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Isn't this game populated online?
    I was looking to it instead of Hearthstone (or similar ones), but few players = players too strong for me ^_^'

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Isn't Yomi's Survival Mode close to this idea?

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

True, should have explained better, my bad.

I guess the thing with that mode is that there really is no end game or long-term purpose. What I had asked for would be something like Street Fighter where each character would play a sequential set of battles until defeating an end boss and finishing a campaign.

Survival mode is interesting if you're into high score chasing or surpassing your previous survival streak, but other than that it's somewhat sterile for me.

But you are right - in that regard, Yomi at least had that.

8. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I was looking at lost portal and kept running into an old game called Spectromancer and decided to buy it although it is four plus years old I think... What drew me in was the premium title with a large one player campaign and a couple of varieties of modes for both offline and online.

A bit dusappinted that they wouldn't do the one player tournanent style mode for Yomi or this as I think it would just enhance the game.

Street fighter and other arcade games included it and as deck building games don't they hold in person tournaments? I'm new to this genre so I don't really know but I have to admit this game got me hooked after seeing a tone of online videos from the board game version etc... (Non electronic).

Please consider adding this developers!!!

Many of us travel on planes for works and gave up to 5 hour flights so a tournanent mode is very practical to consider not just a practice mode!

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Spectromancer is a really good game. It's probably the best in terms of single player campaign.

You may also consider an older game called Battle of Gundabad.

10. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    It's really hard to find an on-line match.

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I am hooked now after playing puzzle strike although I know these games are all different and may not be card games but board games. My main problem with Spectromancer is is ruined the tutorial by starting a duel and bedding to stop and went back and now the tutorial is over. I'll learn the game but would have been love to go through the tutorial! I'm likely going to buy the IAPs as well.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Try: Lost Portal CCG
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=281942

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Much like my post in the Ascension and Star Realms threads - are people still playing this regularly?

After a late start with several repeat playthroughs of the tutorial and a few days of trial and error games, I'm finally beginning to get my head round the mechanics. It's definitely one of the more complex card/board games I've played and there's clearly several layers of strategy to learn and perfect for each character. Really enjoying it - not that I'm doing much winning at the moment - but still, it's the taking part that matters.....or so I'm told!

14. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Yup still playing (and will do so for many years) .. Much like Yomi, this has a lot of depth, lots of characters to get to grips with, also really good single player and a great community.

Excellent game!

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Ever get that feeling that someone's following you?! #

# Excellent, that's what I like to hear - again, thanks for the feedback.

I tried Yomi but it didn't grab me as much as the others I've been asking about. Even Puzzle Strike required me to consciously stick with it until it clicked but there was something there that made me think I needed to as I knew there was an excellent game beneath the fairly steep first few learning hurdles. Might give Yomi another try and see how I get on with it 2nd time around.

16. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Heh .... Seems like we have similar tastes! :)

Yeah Yomi is different and with the rock, paper, scissors mechanics - it can seem random. But when you start looking into character strategy (there's loads on the Sirlin forums) and realise that a lot of character knowledge can reduce that randomness - it is pretty cool. I signed up to ILY (international Yomi League) really soon after buying, so was forced to play a bunch of multiplayer. That taught me a thing or 2! So I don't play loads (that's generally cause I have too many games and you gotta spread the love) but Yomi will be on my iPad / phone for many years!

The great thing about puzzle strike is is has the same characters and Sirlin feel, but without rock, paper scissors.... and deck building instead. Love it!

17. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I think you've pretty much nailed it on the head for me as far as Yomi is concerned - it's the lack of 'building' that lets it down for me. You have your predefined deck and the skill - and I admit, it is a skill - is knowing your deck and how it best works together for maximum effect.

Personally, I prefer the fun of learning the cards and playing to generate sufficient resources to purchase the cards you want for your current strategy. I'll be honest, my strategies are often random in nature, poorly planned and typically formulated through luck of the draw - but still, the choices within my deck are, loosely speaking, mine. Yomi is a bit more limiting in that regard, it allows for the 'how/when' to play but not so much of the 'what'.....if that makes sense?

I'm not knocking Yomi - in itself, it's a really well put together game and app - it just doesn't tick the boxes/float my boat quite as well imho.

18. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Sheeeeeeeet... Have you been analysing my play style? ;) I know what you mean about Yomi but the app addict in me has £10 and 500Mb to play that style from time to time!

19. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Lol! Reason enough, ever there was one!

20. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    So, is it worth stumping up for the extra character pack in this? Does it make that much of a difference to gameplay and add any real longevity, apart from the challenges?