Universal Puzzle Strike (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 3, 2016.

1. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Come check out: http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/general-guides-character-guides.5996/ and http://www.fantasystrike.com/guide/index.php/Puzzle_Strike

I own Yomi on iOS and physical and only Puzzle Strike on iOS/Steam. Ever since I started playing like a month ago, I've beeen wanting to get a physical copy of the game.

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Ok.. I'm definitely going to pull the trigger and get either this or Yomi... I'm just NKF sure which one yet. I've been reading a lot about both and they both seem very interesting.

Any guidance on which one out of the two you would get based on ease to understand etc...

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I would try them out for free on the web, at their official homepage. The iOS versions are, as far as I can tell - at least for Yomi - pretty much the same.

They are somewhat different. Yomi is kind of a rock-paper-scissors kind of game, there's no deck building involved. There's deck management, though. It is quite deep. I found it interesting, somewhat easy to understand, but hard-ish to master. Especially if you try to learn multiple characters, as they all have their nuances. This is a fighting game in essence, played as a card game.

I haven't played Puzzle Strike, but it seems to be more deck-building-like. From the rules, I would guess it would be slightly easier to learn, since characters should play similarly, asides from their unique abilities (represented by the unique character chips). So there's that.

Also, Puzzle Strike is cheaper, I suppose, so if you're uncertain, maybe you could try Puzzle Strike first. Though they seem to be completely different games - i.e. I suppose you may like one and not the other.

4. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I have been watching this closely and actually bought Yomi - as I have a few deck builders already and Yomi looked very nicely implemented. I'm very happy with it - had great fun playing it. I will probably get PS eventually, but had not seen Yomi before.

5. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Good choice. Not to knock against Puzzle Strike but finding matches in Yomi will be slightly easier... and there's always the addiction of collecting inscribed and gold cards for characters :p

6. doctorfedora

doctorfedora Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I take Japanese text and make it English text, for
    Kyoto
    Yomi has the advantage of being available in two additional languages that Puzzle Strike isn't (yet), and I hear that Japan was actually the second-largest market for Yomi. HOPEFULLY with the Japanese Puzzle Strike translation coming in (hopefully) the next few weeks, that should help the matchmaking situation a bit.

7. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice... I'm still debating between the two and will check out a few YouTube videos before buying one... Yomi had been on my radar for a long time but the $9.99 plus IAPs made me stay away...

Did you DL any iap?

8. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Puzzle Strike has IAP also. I think you roughly pay the same for the game + all the characters.

The game is expensive for an iOS game but I think it's worth it. Puzzle Strike and its expansion is about $60 and $40 if bought in real life. Yomi would cost about $10 per character... And their are about 20 characters...

That said as others have said. Try the browser version or watch the WatchItPlayed gameplay series for those games. Or even watch the video reviews for those boardgames.

As both games are pretty different. If you like fighting games like Street Fighter then you might like Yomi. If you like deck builders or games like Super Puzzle Fighter than you might like Puzzle Strike.

9. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I actually bought the iOS version of Yomi, and as soon as I learnt they were re-releasing Yomi via Kickstarter in a 2.0 edition, I kickstarted for the full package.

After which, I went and bought both Puzzle Strike (& Expansion) and Flash Duel--and then also kickstarted Pandante 2.0 & the expansion. It's safe to say I love everything these guys do.

Yomi is basically a more complex Rock, Paper Scissors (which is underselling it, really)--blocks and dodges beat attacks, with blocks returning the card to your hand and dodges allowing you to 'counter' with a throw or an attack. Attacks beat throws, and throws beat dodges and blocks. If two Attacks/Throws occur at the same time, the Attack/Throw with the lowest speed will connect.

Throwing an opponent knocks them down (although some characters cannot do this with their throws--Lum the Panda being one, because he has many different throws), meaning that you can use a 'mix-up'--they cannot dodge, and if they block, their block has to be an odd/even number depending on the opponent's attack (so 1 and 3 would negate, 2 and 6 would negate, etc.) On top of this, you can combo cards together, provided you have enough 'points' to do so (1, 2, 3, etc.) and they do not have 'starter' or 'ender' on them (so starters can only be used in the beginning of a combo, enders can only be used at the end--only usable otherwise if you have a 'linker' attack).

Also, each character's Face Cards (J/Q/K/A) are special abilities (Yomi versions of hadouken/shoryuken/etc.) with Aces being 'ultimates' (Shinkuu-Hadouken, etc). Certain numbered cards (1 - 10) also have 'active abilities' that you can activate before a round starts, using the card to activate the ability instead of attacking/dodging/blocking with it. Some last indefinitely, or until the player gets hit, breaking the power. Some last for just one turn. Each character plays differently (has different playstyles--'Glaciers' versus 'Speedsters', damage-over-time versus outright blitzes) and has different moves, attack speeds, techniques and strategies.

It's a very complex game, at its root, and a lot of it revolves around the fighting tournament 'mindgames' that two opponents get into. "Will he play this card? It seems like a good time to--but I should block. Though he might be getting ready to throw. I'll use a special." the "I know that you know that you know that I know" stuff.

Puzzle Strike, on the other hand, is fun for an entirely different reason. I've played it less than Yomi, but my friends and I love playing it together. It's essentially Puzzle Fighter in the same way that Yomi is Street Fighter. Each character is different and has its own chips/abilities, but you build up whatever you think would be effective from the bank, in a regular deck-building style.

Draw the random chips, buy new chips using drawn gems (or chips that give +1 to your currency for the turn when used), while trying to limit yourself to whatever you think will be useful for the game, without adding too much bloat, else your hands will get increasingly difficult to use--and if you don't buy chips, you'll be forced to add useless chips, which can result in your hands being near-unusable if you draw them.

At the same time, you need to make sure that you maintain control over your own field; 'Gems' will be constantly added each turn, and your opponents can fling them across. You can either send them over one at a time (using specific chips/combos) or combine the gems into larger gems in order to fling them over at an opponent all at once. Opponents can, of course, react to this--blocking your 'gem attacks' with certain reaction chips, provided that the gems they fling back ("smashing them") are of the same size (or bigger) than the gems you've sent over. (If they counter with a gem larger than the gem you've sent, you end up the equivalent of the leftover gems.)

Likewise, there are plenty of different character strengths through their specific chip-abilities, and combos can also be used--some chips are 'singles' that just do one thing, whilst others have little markers on them, meaning you can use another chip of whatever colour the marker is.

E.g. Chip A (red) says; "(Purple ->--meaning you can play another chip, a purple one) Chosen opponent discards a chip and can't play (Purple Shield/Defensive Reactions) this turn." so you'd play a purple (or mixed-colour) chip after it (Chip B); "(Red/Purple) Split the largest gem (2/3/4 etc.) in each opponent's gem pile into that many 1's (single gems), then combine two gems in your gem pile."

Your turn would end there, because there are no other coloured arrows indicating that you can continue the counter. Of course, there are chips that also give you additional attacks from the get go, so if you have the right chip combinations, your combos can be however many chips you have in your hand, provided they combo together. Character abilities usually help with this.

There are also built-in 'catch up' mechanics--the more gems you have, the more gems you get as currency, the more ammo you can use to fling at your opponents, etc. You just run a higher risk of losing if you don't get rid of them ASAP.

It helps that the guy who made Puzzle Strike--David Sirlin--also actually worked on both Street Fighter II and Puzzle Fighter HD.

10. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    @Daxmort...

I truly appreciate your post sharing about both Yomi and Puzzle Strike. I'm so torn with both games as I am new to deck builders and call these kind of card games as I never played either of these kind of games before...

I've never been a street fighter arcade game kind of fan but played it when it was out etc... I do see how deep and complex it can get as it clearly has strategy with some guessing as well... Each character clearly has strengths and weaknesses that require to be understood so we as the player can use their abilities at the right time...

I totally recall puzzle fighter or super puzzle fighter and enjoyed it a lot. I probably liked it a lot since it added the puzzle or drop down gem idea which blurred the line of action arcade fighting to something with the puzzle twist. Since I liked super puzzle fighter it might be where I would like that kind of game better...

Tough decision as the are clearly different... Hoping to get one that isn't overly complicated as I don't have as much time to play and dedicate a huge amount of time learning complicated fake mechanics... That being said info enjoy reading about strategies and watching you tube to learn. On the surface the Yomi cards might seem easier since it is more graphical with action, defensive, and numbers while puzzle strike is color driven chips.

Again, I appreciate you willingness to share.

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    After watching a number of YouTube videos to learn the game... I got it and this game is amazing! The tutorial is helpful although Youtube videos will provide a bit more clarity... I love the ability to view the top player lists had the ability to watch other replays! Awesome...

12. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    @imdakine1

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's always fantastic when you can find ways to get others interested in new games that you yourself love.

13. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Kine, left you a message but I'm sure it got buried. When we get back in town I intend to get more into this. I bought the all character pack and can't wait to try them out.

14. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I have to say I tried it out with a bit more time today and it actually isn't as daunting as it initially looked like. I had a blast with it, really fun game.

15. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    The game grows on you... As I'm not a big online gamer I will buy the full character pack as well.. I appreciate their UI and connectivity to online and may become less shy with online gaming!

Great to watch replays of other matches via the online mode.

All around great game for the initial $3.99 and $11.99 for additional 16 characters.

The only game that has torn me away from crashlands!

16. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Sounds great... Looking forward to us newbies learning the game! Less daunting than expected although I can see getting overwhelmed with so many characters and trying to understand their unique strengths!

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    This is growing on me, a newbie, too.

Too bad the MP is sync. I am not getting there anytime soon.

I think some in the initial 4 is really hard to use. But I am not spending any $$$ on extra character for the time being.

18. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Can someone give a hint to the Setsuki's challenge? It's driving me nuts, and there's supposedly TWO solutions?!

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Same here, #2 and #3 seem to be much easier...

20. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    I really wish there were more people on-line for matches. The AI is way too easy and I need practice!