Universal Puzzle Strike (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Thelo

Thelo New Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Hey guys, this is Thelo, developer for Puzzle Strike. Just letting you know that I am aware of the bug where the custom room creation screen's two textfields crash the game for the iOS version, and that I will have a fix soon (or at least, as soon as we can get it through App Review). Thanks for the heads-up, and my apologies for the inconvenience!

2. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I own Tanto Cuore, Legendary Marvel and DC Deck Building in real life. Puzzle Strike digital only. But that is exactly how I would rank the games also :eek:

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I have all the Playdek games on iOS but only Ascension is the one still on my iPad and I play Ascension on daily basis (>60 MP game going). For deckbuilding on the fly CCG, I think Ascension is the "industrial standard"

I think the game should have included this play guide (http://www.fantasystrike.com/guide/index.php/Puzzle_Strike), directed to me by the PT review, which explains things way better than the tutorial itself! Shame.

Apart from the fact that I may not be joining the MP any time soon, due to not async, I think this is a keeper.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Bought it, plus the bundle IAP.

I'm a sucker for these Sirlin games, unfortunately.

One more for the backlog, though I hope I'll be able to pick it up even if for a spin during the weekend. :)

5. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm intrigued by this game although I've never really played deck building games before. I own a few such as Ascension but haven't played it much.

Advice on if this would good as new to the genre? Also do you play on ipad or iPhone?

6. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    @pbsnellie, do you own yomi and puzzle strike? Which would you recommend for a newbie with deck building genre games?

7. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yomi is a dueling card game. Each character has a fixed deck and it's not a deck building game. Puzzle Strike is :)

8. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    @raylancer. Thanks for clarifying. Do you have either games for iOS? If so do you like it/them?

Do you think this is a difficult game for beginners who haven't played the original?

9. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I have both, and I own the actual physical copy of Yomi. They are both pretty different. I highly recommend doing this before buying either. Yomi is a fighting card game similar to fighting games like Street Fighter. Puzzle Strike is a deck building game based on Super Puzzle Fighter.

Watch these tutorial videos, learn the rules, see which one you like. There are more videos from beyond the rules if you want to see gameplay.

Try the online browser version for free: http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

Browser version is pretty close to the iOS version in terms of UI and such. They both are relatively easy to learn, but the hard part is mastering the characters. Preference wise... I think I might like Yomi a bit more since I played it more in real life.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Puzzle Strike (by Sirlin Games)

I would personally have a hard time recommending any of these games to beginners. They are very nuanced and not especially easy to fully explain and feel competent at.

If you're a beginner to these games, I'd recommend Ascension, Star Realms or Dominion (though not the ios version, from what I heard it isn't that great).

My humble 2 cents :)

11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #51 PBSNellie, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Sorry I missed this. I sent you a response to your PM. I also suggest Ascension. I have Star Realms but I found it kind of boring. Maybe I should revisit it. Dominion has a fully functional online game. I have the IOS and like it, even though most everyone else doesn't! The IAP is pretty steep but you have a lot of free territory to decide whether to invest in it or not.

12. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I appreciate the feedback as I have been intrigued by these kind of games but haven't played them...

13. lavenders2

lavenders2 Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Im mostly interested in multiplayer, but I have heard some players unfortunately say that the playerbase is lacking. Does anyone who actually play online know how long it takes to find a game?

14. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I love Star Realms, it's really good. We bought the physical game, we liked it so much. Give it a little more love and see if you can get a friend to play with you. Personally, I would suggest buying all the expansions as they become available. They add new mechanics to the game that make it much more interesting, and they are cheap.

Dominion has great expansions and the mobile version's are certainly much cheaper than the real ones. My worry is that either too few other people will have the expansions or the matchmaking won't put you with other players that have them. I've read that even if you buy them and mark " include expansions I don't own," you still usuall get matched into a base-set-only game.

I love deckbuilders, I was thinking of trying this one. I really don't like the art or the UI, though.

15. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I don't either but the game mechanics are so good that I'm willing to deal with it. It really looks worse than it plays and all in all it actually plays pretty good. Deck building games are my favorite type of game and I'm so glad I gave this a chance. It'll keep you busy for a long time.

16. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    Now that we have Yomi and Puzzle Strike, I wonder if we will get an iOS version of Flash Duel.

17. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I have played more games of puzzle strike already than I did of Yomi. Way more fun and easy to get head around.

Sometimes feels like a bad beat when you get crashed and can't counter crash or crash in your own turn. Until you realise it was because you only have one crash gem on your 25 token deck lol

18. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
  19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Curry: The game play is somewhat like Ascension. Remember what the tutorial says: the purple chips are the most important chips which bring about victory.

Mutton: Yup! But remember you also need to manage your card flow some what as it is less "random" than Ascension and a lot more strategy and interaction between players

Curry: I think implementing the interactions can make it playable async, like "Nightfall". Can't advise if it is good for newbie as we are both noob to the game too. But after reading the webpage, it is not too hard to get the game going as the game gives you info about what each card and event means.

Mutton: MP ppportunity missed! To answer your second question, we play it on both iPhone 6S and iPad and find the UI works well on both, but YMMV

20. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Just got this game and got to play like 3 matches, I'm actually really enjoying it and don't see what all the hate is about ! Haven't got to do multiplayer yet as I'm still trying to learn some strats. =]