Universal Puzzle Strike (by Sirlin Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 3, 2016.

1. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    You can play any of the bot characters. Its a good way to get a feel of what each character does and get to know the game, if you then later decide to buy more characters for yourself. There are also challenges and quests. . It takes a few go-rounds to get the hang of it, but I'd never played it and am starting to pick it up pretty well. It seems like a lot of strategy involved once you get going. I like the game, the artwork, the fact that everyone is on an even footing with the cards (chips) so you can't buy your way to the top. And you can play the AI offline, which is really a nice bonus.

2. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm more asking, since there aren't a lot of people playing online is it still worth buying for AI matches ? Like are they smart enough or challenging enough ?

3. doctorfedora

doctorfedora Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I take Japanese text and make it English text, for
    Kyoto
    The AI is serviceable enough until you get reasonably good at the game (though it does make the occasional baffling decision). I bought it largely to play against friends and family members, personally.

4. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Bought this and am enjoying it so far. Still trying to grasp the flow and strategy. But overall app seems well implemented. Only bug I've found so far is that I cannot create a custom game without the app freezing up and forcing me to close it.

5. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe this will help, character guides :)

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/general-guides-character-guides.5996/

For anyone on the fence, you can try the game for "free" on the Fantasy Strike website, but it's played in the browser (for those on PC/Mac, etc). Just hit the play button on top, then Puzzle Strike.

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Seems my last question goes unnoticed.

BTW, having trouble creating a new account? Anyone else having this problem as well?

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I like this game so much, but lack of async means it will easily fall off the radar for me. Very unfortunate.

8. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Dove in as well, and I think I'll play it quite a bit. Trying to wrap my head around the rules and a few characters as I've never played the physical version. Then maybe I'll be ready to play some multiplayer.

My experience with deck builders is limited to what I've come across on iOS: Ascension, Penny Arcade, Star Realms, Tanto Cuore, etc. I'm certainly no expert, but this seems to be quite a bit more complicated/tactical, and I'm looking forward to digging into it, even if it means taking my lumps, haha.

9. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    I created an account when I purchased Yomi, and was able to sign into it successfully.
    Some of the people in the lobby chat seem to be experiencing some server issues, so things may be a bit wonky right now.

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #30 currymutton, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Quick Incomplete Biased Impressions (QIBI) after the tutorial:

1. Tutorial offers no explanation of what the numbers on the chips means nor on the character boxes either. No explanation whatsoever the advantages of the "gems" combination or other game mechanics. May be I have missed something.

2. The app should really include the rule book some where inside

3. No crash, no hangs, just that I cannot create a new account or it always show me as offline even I have WiFi connection on.

4. Not async is kinda let down but I can live with it I guess (Edit: may be not; I am giving myself a 12-hour cool-down period before seeking refund)

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Are you playing on an iPad, iPhone? I was curious about how it would be on an iPhone 6 in terms of UI. Is it too small?

12. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I have tried it on both of my devices (iPAD 2 and iPhone 6+). In both cases I find I need to hover over the "bank" chips to figure out which is which so I'd say either the UI is adequate or inadequate for any mobile device depending on your familiarity and tolerance. I suppose once I become more familiar with the game and the chips/cards I will rely less on having to do this.

Tried again this morning and am still unable to create custom game/room without app freezing up during entry of room/game name or password creation. Anyone else have any luck with creating a custom game?

My most wanted feature would be an async option for versus play.

13. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I tried it on 6S and it is not too small

Read the PT's review and going to give it another shot.

14. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I agree. I tried the web version way back when and found everything too tiny, similar to this version. There is plenty of unused or wasted space so I think the UI could be better designed so that everything is legible on an iPad (the costs in particular on the top of the chips are just way too small).

I think the gameplay is super clever so I will stick with it in the hopes of some big patches down the road.

15. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Does anyone know are these devs good with patches and what not ever since this game got released however long ago ?

16. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I would say yes.. Yomi has been out for 2 years and it's been updated 14 times since.

17. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok so someone tell me, do I dive in? I was looking forward to it and I watched how to play so I know what I'm in for, but I also know there is like no players online.... So someone help me out

18. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I'm playing the AI for awhile with the different characters until I get the basics down, then I'm going to troll online. That's normally how I do PVP because the players out there are usually miles ahead of me. Each time I play it makes a little bit more sense.

19. mudrash

mudrash Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Highly recommend the physical version with all the expansions! There are a bunch of new starter teams too. Good luck.

20. KakitaMike

KakitaMike Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 27, 2010
    Ohio
    Assuming this mirrors the physical game, it would be difficult to do async since you can react to what your opponents do, resulting in a lot of back and forth interaction. Imagine a game of async magic the gathering if you are familiar with that.

I loved the physical game, my only complaint being the chips and elimination nature of the game. Most deckbuilders end at some condition, at which point someone wins, but everyone else is playing up to that point. You eliminate players in this game, so it was rough in person having one or two people sit around after getting eliminated.

I'd put it in my top 5 deckbuilding games, behind tanto cuore and marvel legendary, and above dominion and dc-deckbuilding.

All that being said, have no idea how it plays digitally.