iPad Puzzle Quest- yay or nay

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Buster08, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Buster08

Buster08 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    So, is it now worth it to buy this game with all the updates and promise for free updates for chapter 2? also, is this game at all battery intensive? I'm on the fence and I wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts.:)

2. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    #2 parranoya, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    yes its good ---not perfect but good. Buy it --- why not also look into the responses to the updates in other threads ---this might help you make a very diffculy decission...to buy or not to buy a 10$ game?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I'm in the same situation as you, and I have decided for nay. I don't want to support the sloppy way the iDevice conversion was made. I'm waiting for the part two and see if they will make a more serious effort with it.

4. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    What $6 game? I thought it is a ten dollar one (it is 8 euros here).

5. Moog

Moog Active Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I've was sitting on the fence for a long time on this one too. I finally got it a couple of days ago because I was particularly bored and had an itchy mouse finger while hovering over the "Buy now" button.

Now I wish I hadn't bothered. While it's OK I can't see myself playing it any more.

6. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Idk, but I love your signature lol.

There are way too many puzzlers in the appstore. how much is this one?

7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I have it on the DS, PSP, XBLA, and PC, and now this. Spent about 20 hours on it. Loved every minute of it. And now with part 2 being free, that's 40 hours for 10 bucks. A bargain. And IMHO the game is perfect.

There's two games I would pay $10 for. This and Zuma (Rolando and Spore tricked me).

8. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    yay
    its good, got alot of replay too

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Dangit, now I have to buy the PSP version to keep pace with Deb. :eek:

It's a decent version of the game. It's still a bit fuzzy for my taste, there's a definite chug factor to the animations, and I haven't figured out how to see the descriptions for status effects. BUT, PQ is a tremendous game and to get a game of this magnitude for ten bucks is a ridiculous bargain, just as Deb said.

10. howiedeano

howiedeano Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Yay

Personally I hate match three games, tried a few and found them tedious. Having heard lots of positive reviews for various versions of PuzzleQuest, I thought I'd try it anyway. The first iPhone version was an almost unbelievably shoddy conversion, even so, playability wise, the game was great, the tiny text and bugs just put me off to the extent I didn't play it.

The recent update has tempted me back, and the more I play it, the more I like it. It's much deeper than I expected, requiring a level of strategy more like chess, the story, character development, music and graphics all combine to make, for me, the best game currently available for the iPhone.

(My second favourite game happens to be Crystal Defenders, another shoddy conversion but great game, wish they'd update it like PuzzleQuest...)

11. manolis

manolis Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    definitely yay.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I finished chapter one, played it more than 25 hours (I'm still playing).
    Imho the best game in the App Store, hands down not considering the 'free' chapter two.

13. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Puzzle quest is great. Its way more of a mach 3 game than you may think. I have the DS version which is great. The ipod version is just as good, the text can be a bit hard to read but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. I think its a great game for a great deal on the perfect plat form. It even has more classes to choose from than the DS version. I've played the PC version and I'd have to say handheld is a way more suitable platform because they don't really upgrade the graphics on PC - it just gets way bigger (too big if you ask me).

Its a very original polished game for a good price. Get it if you like puzzle or RPG games.

14. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Puzzle Quest is a great game, but I would prefer the XBOX Live Arcade version or even PSP/DS version of the game.

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yay! Its the only match 3 game you'll ever need.

16. Buster08

Dec 5, 2008
    Okay, I am leaning towards getting it, but is it at all intense on the battery?:)

17. Buster08

Dec 5, 2008
    Anyone!!??

18. howiedeano

howiedeano Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    No more than any other average game, battery life on my iPhone 3G playing it has been fine...

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    FYI I can play for 1-2 hours without noticing any performance hit (iPhone 3G) on the battery: I wish I could say the very same thing for many other games or apps that are imho un-usable if you're away from a power source.
    And BTW, this is something that should be evaluated in EVERY review of ANY game imho.

If you're on the fence though, consider that a lite version of Puzzle Quest, according to the news, is on the way...so you could wait and directely judge the game (or better, judge the technical aspect of it and the game mechanics, the story and the more strategical/RPG aspect of the game doesn't ramp up till some hours from the beginning, and I doubt the lite version will provide that much of story).

Hope it helps!

20. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    The presentation could use some work still but it's a yay. Especially since it looks like Chapter 2 will be a free update.