iPad Puzzle Quest vs. Aurora Feint

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rpb1975, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I know, I know....there are many threads for puzzle quest and aurora feint. I have searched, and I could post the links if that would make some of you happy. For those that want to help me, please advise:

I have aurora feint, and I love it. However, I keep hearing about Puzzle Quest. I have seen many gameplay vids and read tons of reviews, but I can't quite figure out why I should have both. Is it better than Aurora Feint or very different. I haven't played PQ on any platform, so I do not have a reference point other than vids and reviews.

I am intrigued for $7.99, but that is not cheap by app store standards either. And I do know that Chapter 2 is coming out.

Thanks in advance for the constructive input in helping me make my decision. I love this forum! :D

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Good post. Both are gem matching games and have RPG elements to them. Having never played Aurora Feint myself and having JUST purchased Puzzle Quest (and feeling a little lost) I'm interested in the differences as well.

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Why not check out the Puzzle Quest Lite version?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304641991&mt=8

4. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
  5. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Aurora Feint has better graphics, and you can tell its been designed ground up for the iPhone. The gameplay though, is heavily based on match-3, its a pure grind and PvP combat in the Arena.

Puzzle Quest is not multiplayer. It is a port so there are a couple of rough edges (cosmetically) but they can be overlooked, and have been improved a lot since updates.

It is also a real RPG. The match-3 aspect of the game replaces a regular RPG's battle system. Imagine replacing the turn-based battles of Final Fantasy with Match-3.

This means, Puzzle Quest has the following features:

- Characters, and classes
    - Stats like HP, Experience, Levelling etc..
    - Magic
    - A real storyline
    - Over 20+ hours of gameplay for Chapter 1. It's probably been more like 30 hours for me and I haven't completed it yet because I'm doing stuff quite slowly
    - Quests following the main storyline
    - Side-quests to gain extra experience + money
    - Shops that sell items (weapons, armour, rings etc..)
    - Random battles (creatures appear randomly)
    - Taverns where you can read about the current affairs of the world
    - Properly explore a huge world map, not like the pseudo-clicking-map-thing on Aurora Feint

Features rarely found in other RPGs:

- Capture creatures you have fought and gain their spells
    - Research spells
    - Forge weapons using runes
    - Siege other cities

I still enjoy AF, but Puzzle Quest is in a league of its own. It's a REAL game.

6. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    As Phi6 wrote, the two games are quite different.

Aurora Feint is a match-3 game with socialization and tools to upgrade your match-3 options.

Puzzle Quest is an RPG where combat is arbitrated with various match-3 minigames. Puzzle Quest has a storyline, side quests, classes, etc.

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    agreed. Puzzle Quest is much deeper a game than Aurora Feint.

arn

8. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Thank you very much for that long comparison, Phi6...that was awesome! I think I am getting Puzzle Quest before money burns a hole in my pocket! I just have to figure out what to delete...I love Aurora Feint as well, so I think I will have three match three type games on my iDevice.

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Aurora Feint is just a match 3.

Puzzle Quest is much more than that.

There ;) :D

10. wilwired

wilwired Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Male
    Project Manager
    CA
    Completely agree.

The PQ updates have cleaned it up quite a bit since release... I play it everyday now. Personally, I'm quite happy with what they've done...they earned some respect by paying attention to our demands =)

11. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    PQ is quite boring, i like its RPG elements, but Aurora has much better match3 part. If you want great fighting system try Orions.

12. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    im downloading puzzle quest :D after playing lite version and wanting more ,then im gonna get aurora feint soon after finishing pq

13. AznChaos

AznChaos Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    My vote is for PQ. AF is just too boring it seems like you do the same stuff over and over again. The Power ups don't seem useful and it takes forever to level up. I feel PQ has some good strategy involved and is much deeper.

Thats just my opinion.

14. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Ok, so I said I would reply after playing both games. I gave in and bought PQ after playing the lite version. I am totally addicted, and I can't wait for Chapter 2 (when is that supposed to come out)?

I still like Aurora Feint a lot for different reasons, but PuzzleQuest is in a league of its own. It moved to my #1 spot on my iPod. If anyone is still on the fence, buy PQ. I do also still like Aurora Feint, and I don't think PQ replaces it because they are different in strategy and style.