iPad Puzzle Quest patch is out... verdict?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Whitecloak, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Whitecloak

Whitecloak Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I'm a huge PQ fan, but I held off so far on this due to all the complaints/issues.
    I'm SO ready to jump on this game, just want a few confirmations that the update makes the game playable... or that it's still crap in which case I'll just write this game off and never get it.

Anyone? Thoughts?

2. Duke

Duke Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I too held off until the patch, and decided to buy since it was released today. I loved playing Puzzle Quest on my PSP, and it was literally the first game I looked to see if they had on IPhone when I received it from my wife for Christmas.

I have only very minor complaints. Out of battle the text is still somewhat small. I have no problem reading it, but I do have to focus a bit more than should be needed. Also it bugs me that they allow you to lose a turn if you mess up a move. It's infinitely easier to mess up on a touchscreen on quarter inch orbs, than with a gamepad. Like I said, minor complaints, nothing that makes me regret purchasing.

I really have not notice any slowing down at all (the FPS actually seems better than my PSP version), although I have only played 5 or so battle thus far. So perhaps it just hasn't arose yet.

Seems like they made some good changes. I've been somewhat disappointed with most games I've bought thus far, so I'm more than happy to purchase a game I know is a quality title. $10 is really not too bad of a price, especially since people are claiming 20+ hours of gameplay. Most $60+ RPGs for new gaming systems barely last that long.

Definitely a quality game and a good value.

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I lost my character once I started a new one --had all the storm gear and everything.....the update did not fix a thing. I still do not have my old character ----- T|hink its time for me to give up on this game ...too bad I love this game ----this sucks.

4. 78er

78er Member

I take my lost characters back with this update. Font is sharp. And game starts faster. I think, this update is serious good job...

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    After countless hours playing Puzzle Quest on my iPhone (I'm near the end, but I'm not anymore THAT sure...everytime I say: this must be the last quest!...new quests come up...this game is HUGE :) ) I had the opportunity to play 1 hour with the updated version.

I have to say prior commenting on the update that I liked the game very much even before the update, and despite the (right) critics I personally liked Puzzle Quest more than any other App Store offering (and I think it's one of the best recent game I played on any platform).

Having said that, the update bring:

1) a (very slightly) improvement in the intial loading
    2) crispier graphics (the 'blur' effect is gone, you can see it even in the title screen)
    3) more responsivness in touch screen (expecially when levelling up)
    4) the gem collapsing frame rate is a bit faster (I didn't notice all that lag before tough, it was perfectly playable)
    5) they have changed the fonts to render them a bit more readable.

In all honesty, while they ARE much more readable and I think they will please a lot of people, I do not find that 'game understading' is changed that much....if you can read now, with little difference you could have read the text before the upgrade (I think criticism was a bit exagerated);
    Some text is still tiny (ie: description in the inventary...there are the tiniest font of the whole game, and they are unchanged).

Some things I hoped that would change and aren't:

1) you still have to tap to continue dialogue, and the symbol of 'continue' (a little arrow) is placed in the middle of the dialogue...not very beautiful.
    2) when examining objects or long lists, you have to tap on the side arrow up and down...you can't use your finger...veeeeeeeery old :)

These were the things I noticed, maybe it's just me but I think that even the music was changed (seemed more fluid in the transitions, no more pauses...but I played only an hour).

I think it's the best game in the App Store; certainly I'm playing it non stop and stopped playing any other game.
    Despite the whole 'chapter one' criticism, it's the game I played more (MUCH more) than any other.

Now....chapter 2 and 3...and Galactrix? :)

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Nice analysis Pitta (post #5).

I agree and I've also enjoyed the game before the update.

Of course it could be more than a port. Anyway, a great and unique game.

7. greyscot

greyscot Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Got it, but no match for PSP

I have Puzzle Quest for PSP (and really like it) but also bought for my Touch thinking it would be great on the go.
    Well, for me, the Touch version is very poor (even after the upgrade). The gameplay and quality on the PSP (or even the DS version which I have seen) is far superior. I still have found the Touch version blurry, clunky, overly busy, and so visually straining that I have once againg removed from and await another possible upgrade (though I doubt it can be saved ... some games are best not ported to the Touch).

8. Dismiss

Dismiss Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    It's definitely better on PSP, but the thing is, despite the system supporting a memory stick, they never released the balance fixes they added to the 360 and PC versions (not to mention the expansion). This content is (or will be) included in this version. Still, it IS mystifying how they managed to make the iPhone version run and look worse than the DS one.

Still, credit where it's due, the new version is noticeably improved technically. The battle interface still needs quite a bit of work, however. There's no way you can check out status effects and equipment, and the screen is somewhat cluttered. The size of the playing area wouldn't be an issue normally, but the iphone/touch platform depends solely on a touch screen, so I think that they could have engineered the game in a way that fit the platform better.

Perhaps in time a zooming feature could be implemented for battles and inventory? Anyway, looking forward to the next instalment, as this game is probably my favourite handheld title bar none.

9. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a nice improvement, for sure. We raised our score from a 1 to a 2.

10. suthakamal

suthakamal New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Not getting a lost character back?

Hi there parranoya.

I'm at TransGaming, and would like to give you a hand with this, as we're pretty certain that the lost-hero bug has been fixed in version 1.1. If you'd like to contact us through our support email address at gametreelive.com/pq_faq.html we'll get someone to look into your problem quickly.

Thanks,
    -Sutha

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Thanks, Sutha, to you folks at TransGaming for the update. With the release of 1.1, I've now picked this one up today from the App Store.

I also have and enjoy the PSP version on UMD (as well as the DS version). I had hoped the PSP network download version would offer the bug fixes and expansion that I could take advantage of and replace my UMD version, but I understand it is just the UMD available as a download.

I'm optimistic that this one will turn out to be the best portable version, with nice graphics like the PSP but without the bugs, and with the expansion additions. If TransGaming continues their updates, this should indeed be the best of the portable options. :cool:

12. Whitecloak

Whitecloak Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    So I went ahead and bought the game... got to say, kinda let down.

I've played it for PSP and PC and am a huge fan.

But it is a sloppy port for the iDevices. There's just no getting around it. You can make excuses and defend it as much as you want, heck, apparently it was even worse before the update, but it disappoints on so many levels.

The text is harder to read than it should be (no joke I have 20/20 vision and the text is a strain.) The implementation of the main battle screen is crummy- I mean, I'm no graphic artist, but I swear to god give me an hour and I can describe a design that would have a larger battle display and an elegant solution to seeing mana and status effects scroll onto the field and then off again as to not take up screen real estate. The graphics are muddy, low res and not at all crisp. The touch implementation is shoddy and feels off...

All in all wishing I had my 10 bucks back. I sincerely hope they release a REAL update so that this becomes playable.

Such a freaking shame. They already had a brilliant addictive fun game.

All they had to do was put a small amount of thought into how to best use the iDevices strength and optimize... what a letdown.

Im telling you, all the big companies are putting out such ASS... it's the small companies and single devs who are innovating and really thinking things through and updating and polishing their products.
    Maybe in a year or two they'll start taking this platform seriously.

13. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    In all fairness, the game is a port and not a complete redesign of the game. I'm not sure why so many people were expecting a new slick interface. I don't believe that this version of PQ ever billed itself to be that.

The blur and small text problems from 1.0 have been fixed entirely in the update. Complaining about non HD graphics is really a non sequitir considering your iDevice has a 480x320 screen. Comparing app graphics to PSP games has always struck me as especially asinine. The PSP runs hardware dedicated to gaming. Your iDevice's top priority is making phone calls and/or playing music.

What really makes me laugh is all of these @!PQBIGGESTFANSJFC!!@! (holding their world's smallest graphics violins) failing to mention the one large remaining flaw in the game- the inability to read equip/spell status effects. This is the problem that needs to be fixed in the next update imvho. I could careless about PQ with new additional multitouch features. I just want to play the game discretely during PHY lectures.

14. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Actually, I believe Whitecloak has a legitimate point about the graphics of the port, and his expectations are not unrealistic.

It's my understanding that the PSP's 4.3" diagonal screen has a pixel resolution of 480x272. The iPhone & iPod Touch have 480x320 in a 3.5" diagonal screen. So, why wouldn't the graphics be sharper on the iPhone/iPod Touch than on the PSP?

For example, the graphics for the Orions: Legend of Wizards port are crisp and impressive, IMHO.

It's my guess that the initial effort did not adequately adapt the existing artwork to the dimensions and resolution of the new display. It's my expectation that future updates should bring the artwork in line with a better port to our display, and the crispness should rival the PSP.

Again, I'm optimistic that the continued future development and updates will make this the portable version to own, with our touchscreen interface, the bug fixes implemented, the expansion incorporated, and sharp graphics to rival the PSP. :cool:

15. Whitecloak

Whitecloak Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Hey Mycroft, good looking out man!

Actually, I was going to respond to s0mah's post with a rebuttal myself... but then I saw that he posted at 3:35 am and he wasn't really making any sense, so I left it alone!

:)

16. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Puzzle Quest. Oh how I've missed thee

I thought I'd go back and try it after the patch. At least the text is readable now. Graphics are still pretty blurry and effects jerky.

Anyone else think that double tapping to activate a spell is pretty poor?

Despite the detractions, I still managed to get hooked again....