Universal Puzzle Quest 2 - by Namco

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I'd say I have a top great time with this game despite the little nuisances (little at least for me), I don't remember that PQ1 provided me as great fun.

2. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Could someone post how long these wait times actually are? Is it a couple of seconds, a couple of minutes or what?

Thanks.

3. Struan73

Struan73 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    @ mlkaufman,

for me it is always only a couple of seconds. I haven't measured it, but I strongly believe, that it is always below 10 seconds (I guess between 5 and 6)

Struan

4. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I timed multiple time and it seem change, it's like if ios or the game are caching stuff and sometimes it speed up a load.

For loading an area it's 3/6s, the point is to avoid wanderer as much than possible. There's many teleporters and you should use them as much than possible, so most often you don't have to pass through too many empty area. When you reach a new area there's new stuff like fights to do or something than this load time isn't a problem.

Myself I'm not disturbed by those load time, except when rarely I have to walk through a series of empty area to reach a point, at least it's relatively rare. But really even if I don't know the technical detail, it makes you wonder what's so big to load to take this time. An area seems to be only a fullscreen snapshot (or is this sort of half 3D?), few characters and their small animations, few sounds, and possibly the music but I cut it off to be sure to minimize load times. Overall those load time don't spoil my fun in playing the game, but it's really the first point to improve.

When you finish a fight or a quest, the game shows in sequence messages listing the bounties, gold, xp, quest finished, next quest goal. Between each there's a pause to let you the time to read the numbers or details, and you have to wait it ends before to be able to do anything. This whole time is relatively long, I take care read each message, so it makes the time a bit less long. I felt this a minor problem but it's really something that need a fix.

During a fight there's sometime, very rarely a delay before the first spell cast or a first attack/item use, it's not that long like 2/3s but very noticeable, but that's very rare.

Still during a fight you need wait that a spell cast ends before to be able to cast another. The only time it is a small problem is when you want chain a spell cast multiple time and its a spell not ending your turn. The few spells my character know and I'm sometimes tempted to use like that are fast to cast, so I can't multiple touch in series but the wait time is very short.

About bugs, I noticed:
    • Options aren't saved so each time you restart the game you need set them again (music/sound/fights hint level/quests hint level).
    • Sometimes when you open a chest if during the mini game you get no item and no components then you could get zero gold too. A double check of this is needed but I'm almost sure.

5. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Second game that I paid $9.99 for (the other being Plants vs Zombies) and I must say that both times I felt like I got my money's worth. Great game is easily worth the money.

6. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    after a battle it takes about 5-10 seconds before i can continue.

7. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Same here. May only complaint is that the play is not as smooth as i would expect. Still love it though.

8. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    :D

I didn't time but as I quote above it's one of the weird stuff they should fix. Read the messages shown after the battle this makes it less disturbing. 10s after a 10mn fights ie you don't make fights every seconds. Myself I agree it needs a fix but the first thing to fix is more the load time that seems not disturb you.

I'm blessed by luck, those nuisances doesn't disturb me and Puzzle Quest 2 is just a great play, and the more I play it, the more I find it better than Puzzle Quest 1.

9. morphman

morphman Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    If you are jailbroken and use retinasizer the game looks fantastic (aside from a few static backgrounds on the menu screens. It also much improved the target areas for selecting things.

Load times are the same.

10. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Are you sure you are in right section? It makes no sense for iPad version, for the graphics you can't make more perfect with is already perfect. And for user interface PQ2 is close to be excellent at one exception and it's user interface is a lot better than in PQ1 ipad, any text is very clear and most are quite big all most important touch are very easy and other works well, there's a clear organization. There's only some popup panel that just require a touch to show them when some other require keep touch to keep the panel open and those last panels are tedious. Also the only touch not very easy is those relative to character or enemy status of current effects, touch one isn't as easy but quite doable anyway.

EDIT: And about load time, it seems that like few iphone users as I progress further into the game that they speed up, often now it's more 2/3s than 5/6s.

11. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    As much as I am liking this game, I have to say the flaws are glaring- aside from the excruciatingly sluggish pace- having whole screens which you do nothing but pass through with no interactive elements whatsoever, loading too much- the enemies are waaay imbalanced.

I mean, how can you have a chance against an enemy that has (A) Far more hit points than you (B) Does more damage with simple physical attacks than you (C) Never misses 4-gems and has UNFAIR luck getting brutally evil combos and (D) Can easily stun you so that he can move at least 4 times in a row while you stay there watching your life points disappear?

It's all down to luck, which is not fun.

Meh, Gotta go back to playing... that damn Cockatrice is gonna die, dammit...

12. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Universal App Question

I bought this app on US release date and I really enjoy it. I am getting an iPad for Christmas and I am wondering how universal apps work. Do they just load on each device and play as a new game on each, or do the save files also transfer? I am fairly far into the game and was wondering if I will have to start a new game once it is on iPad.

Thanks for the help.

I posted this in the iPhone version a few days ago, so sorry if you have seen this question before.

13. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Yes, all you need to do is download the game on your iPad and enjoy...all over again. ;) Because in most cases, saved game files will not transfer. There are a couple of games that use OpenFeint (...or AGON...or one of those social networks) to transfer games from device to device, but I can't seem to remember which game(s) it is or what network they use.

There are jailbreak programs available that can access the necessary files within iOS to move saved games from device to device, but I don't know anything about jailbreaking to comment any further.

14. Casmi

Casmi Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Great!! thanks for the reply. I guess I can enjoy this game again :).

15. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Are you sure of this? I read multiple time that you could restore a backup of an idevice on another idevice. That's the way to proceed when you buy a new device and that procedure should restore all saves.

But I haven't tested by myself.

16. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

It sounds like you've encountered a boss-type foe too soon. A few more levels and maybe a special item or two should do the trick.

This sort of thing happened to me all the time in the original PQ. I remember the Storm Giants in particular, and thinking "No way I'll ever beat these guys." But five more levels, some damage-reducing armor, and, yes, a small helping of luck turned the tables. Eventually, that is ... it still took a few tries.

17. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Welll...no, I guess not. Would that work between an iPhone/Touch and an iPad? I could see it working between two like devices, but I don't know if it would work from, say, an older generation device to an iPad. Maybe somebody who's actually done it can comment? I started fresh with my iPad and have never really needed to transfer saves between devices. I play different types of games on my iPad and iPhone and don't have many common games between the devices.

18. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #38 Qordobo, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    Well for me there isn't really that sort of boss in PQ1. But those incredible tough boss in PQ2 are all optional secondary quests, that's the secondary quest series "A greater challenge". Level 21 I still have to beat one of them, they clearly require a lot of strategy and tactics adapted to specific strength of those optional bosses. Funnily the first time I met the Yeti I almost beat it, I had only one sword attack to kill it and then it thrown it huge spell attack doing a lot of damages killing me instantly. :eek: The cave ogre seems even more tough. I think there's one of them per underground level but they are optional.

EDIT: The yeti spell I mention is doing... 999 damages. :D It's pointless to mention that you have to avoid it get enough mana to cast it. With my assassin I have various possibilities I already tried few like pick as much than possible the red gems and kill it as fast than possible. But for an Assassin the right tactic is probably through confuse and weaken.

EDIT2: Yep beat it, spoil:
    And that did it, it was like fighting a little kitty. :p

19. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I have one question can someone explain the different tabs in the spellbook?

Here what I noticed:
    • First tab (red) are the classes spells learned as the character progress.
    • In second tag (purple) there's a list of spell not enabled, when I try select one a message explain that I haven't yet achieved the requested quest.
    • Third tab (green) was empty and an enabled spell appeared here but I didn't noticed when nor any message mentioning this new spell addition.

20. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Can anyone tell me how the game runs on the ipad 2? Does it run slow and have the same bugs? The problems people have reported with the game on the iphone/itouch have kept me from buying it.