Puzzle Game Features

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Hey everybody, been a while since I posted anything. So while doing the updates to my first game, I've been working on completing my second game.

I was just curious what you guys think of this or would like to see more of in turn based puzzle games.

Essentially will feature 60 different levels, each level has a "optimum/least number of moves" and tracks your personal best for that level

As well I have a daily puzzle as well (maybe weekly takes some time to come up with the levels) which won't list the best possible score. So when you complete the level you can upload your name/score.

Some questions are, what do you guys think of having a field to upload e-mail address, for potential "prizes/giveaways?

How many moves do you like your puzzles to be? Right now they are between 4-17, and yet while I find them hard, I know it takes some people like 60+ moves to get it so... ya I'm not sure on difficulty :p

Note - I don't really plan to have an undo option, for the simple reason of it would be easier to "trace" out all the moves, controls are tilt or touch based

How do people feel about having a time as well, or is it unneeded since it's counted in "moves"?

Should levels be unlocked as they play? or have all 60 available at the start?

Thanks for any insight

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I wont mind entering my email address in the game. Though I m not going to submit my primary email address here at any cost :p

I like the 4-17 moves. Maybe make the last few levels a lil more difficult with 25+ moves.

No need for this game to be timed IMO.

I`d prefer if you keep them locked unless the levels are too hard to finish. In which case you can give the user a "skip level" option if they fail to finish it in one or two tries.

3. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Alright so essentially don't need much to change much to suit what you want =D

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Josh -

Lots of questions, and you are going to get valid different opinions on all of them.

E-mail -as long as it is optional - that Facebook stuff that seems to be in everyone's face is really annoying.

Number of moves seems good - really depends on the types of puzzles that you are offering. You might want to have a challenger mode with harder puzzles though with anywhere from 30 moves on up. Some of the block sliding puzzles can take more than 100 moves, but it still is fun as long as you see progress.

Timing can be fun for tension. Although since it is moved base, the time really would not be a valid posting as the person could just figure out their moves, then do them rapidly to have a low time score. But some people like to be timed even with the moves to keep the pressure on. You can always have an option - for move based puzzles having a timer for me, always makes me feel stupid - even though I always solve them, sometimes it takes a while.. So personally I prefer no time.

Again the unlock should be an option - have a career mode that is locked, and has to be opened one at a time - with an option to skip puzzles. But, have an option of unlocking all puzzles -
    "Warning - unlocking all puzzles will not save your progress in Career Mode, are you sure you want to do this?"

So people can do the puzzles, but will not save the move counts. If you do this you need an option to reset everything so they can go back and do a career if they wanted to.

My 2 cents...

5. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    okay I read plutos and agree with what he said but on the level unlocking you should do what ragdoll blaster does when done solving one puzzle not one but a few are unlocked, such as if you have trouble you can just skip that one and keep going and solve it later imo