iPad Puzzle game: Alio the Woodcutter

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by snow_mani, Dec 11, 2008.

1. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is a new puzzle game available. I'm tempted but overbudget and trying to not be so impulsive with my app purchases (my budget and best intentions not to purchase did not last long when I decided to cut back last month!) :rolleyes: However my latest credit card bill was waiting for me when I got home from work today. So I would like to know:

1) Has anyone here tried this one yet?
    2) If so what do you think of it?
    3) How difficult and how many levels?
    4) Are there clear instructions given?
    5) Do you have to restart at the 1st level when you go out or get stuck?
    6) Any other feedback?

Thanks!

Here is the link: Alio the Woodcutter

2. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #2 BrettArchibald, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    Sorry I can't help you with any of your answers there, but I would just like to add my voice to yours... This game looks really interesting, and I'd be interested in seeing / finding out more about it.
    (Really cute graphics too!)

Edit:
    Have you seen the developer's website? It shows off a video demo:
    http://alio.lyxite.com/

3. snow_mani

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'll have to check it out

Thanks! I didn't see it. I'll check it out.

4. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Has anybody tried this yet?

5. snow_mani

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The video is promising

I checked the video out on their website and it looks good. The video is a mini tutorial that shows you how to play the game.

I have no self control and will probably buy this before this coming weekend is over.

But it would be good to hear from anyone who has played it.

6. snow_mani

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6 snow_mani, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
    40 levels over 6 stages

As well as posting my questions in this thread, I also emailed the dev to ask how many levels there are. They've responded to say that there are 40 levels split over 6 stages. With new levels planned for future updates.

I think I'm just going to give in and cough up the AUD$3.99 for this puzzler. :rolleyes:

7. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I really like puzzle games that seem simple at first but get progressively more complex and difficult, hoping to see more reviews of the game. From the video I don't think this is the case, and it probably would get annoying but wouldn't it be cool if a subtle chopping motion with the iPhone actually brought each tree down?

8. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Be sure to tell us what you think, OK?

9. jdr

jdr Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'll probably buy it because it looks like something I'd enjoy, but I'm going to wait a few days to make sure the price doesn't drop. :)

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was going to start a thread about this. It looks really good. It'll take me over my "budget," so I think I'll wait a little and see what others say.

11. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    OK, I caved and bought it. I'll post back later today with my impressions. Now, I need to get some sleep if I can resist Alio's call to play.

12. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Naturally, I couldn't go to sleep until I tried out the game. I like it! It's a great puzzle game and it's not as easy as it looks! I think it's worth the money.

13. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Great to hear!

14. AlioW

AlioW Member

Dec 12, 2008
    This is Alio speaking

I am thrilled to see people so interested in this game and discussing about it. I'd like to clear one doubt. This game can be more challenging than you thought. If you find the first 3 stages tough, I'm sure you will have enough challenges before new levels are out.
    If you find most levels are too trivia, don't worry because the difficulty was reduced on purpose. I can make much more challenging ones. :)
    Do let me know your thoughts, so that we can do a better job improving it.

15. AlioW

AlioW Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Thanks a lot. This means a lot to us.

16. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It is the Woodcutter himself! :eek:

17. Awesome awesome game. Gonna play the heck outta of today some more. I was initially worried thinking it'd be super hard but that isn't the case. It'd be frustrating bigtime if it didn't have an undo last move or undo as many times as you wish which in fact you can. Graphics are absolutely gorgeous for a puzzle game. Red tree 1, Orange tree 2, Green tree 3 height. You got rocks you can't move through. The water shows which way river is flowing and they are animated. Direction is important so you know where to slow down the flow so you can cross. Also a trimmed tree acts as a bridge across water. The old spot where the tree was cut down becomes a stump which you can walk on to cut other trees and is also your pathway. Controls work great too. Tap to your destination and he'll quickly move there.

Trees fall opposite of where logger is standing and it'll show shadow image of tree where it'll fall and space(s) it'll occupy. Just tap on tree to chop it down. I will say there are a lot of English mistakes and it cracks you up but nothing that you couldn't understand or hinders your puzzle solving. I'll probably submit a list of fixes as their native tongue isn't English. Goal is after he cuts down all trees he has to have a path back to his truck which he moves automatically if path is available.

First image shows a yellow tree that if I cut down the yellow tree logger is standing by my path to the truck will be blocked. Since I can't cross the river as the flow is to the right and you can't move diagonally the tree and rock are blocking it.

2nd image shows I have cut big green tree first which blocks river flow which enables me to cross the river now as the flow has been slowed down indicated by red. Cut yellow tree opposite way and I have a path back to my truck.

Honestly this is a lovely unique game. Unique I say cuz I'm trying to compare it to any that I know and my mind is running blank.

Stage 1 Tutorial - 6 levels
    Stage 2 Classic - 9 levels
    Stage 3 Stream - 8 levels
    Stage 4 Forest - 9 levels
    Stage 5 Rivers - 6 levels
    Stage 6 Challenge - 5 levels
    total 43 levels.

Attached Files:

18. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I've been playing it now for a couple of days and it quickly turned into one of my favorite games. If you like puzzle games .... you'll love this. It gets harder as you progress but not so hard (at least so far) that you want to throw your iphone/iPod Touch into the wall. To the developer I say ..... Great Job!

P.S. my other favorite puzzle games are Pathways and Ivory Tiles

19. tangerine

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Great game! I've been playing off and on all day. It's pretty addictive. Thank you, developers, for the undo button. I'd be lost without it!

20. AlioW

AlioW Member

Dec 12, 2008
    So great to hear such possitive comments.

Do you guys think it a good idea for us to build in a level creator and a place to share your custom created levels?
    I already have a prototype of the level ediror, that'S how I designed levels anyway.

For guys who missed my earlier posts, I'm one if the developers of Alio.

I really appreciate your feedback, esp. Mrbass