Universal Puzzle Craft - (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Sounds like Chillingo destroys another game...

This will go free just like Catapult King did, it's like they try to cover all bases, by giving it a go for 99c up the charts, then as it drop outside the top 100 and are not featured by apple any more they make it go free and get featured by apple again by being the free app of the week.

Just buy WarGames or Dungeon Raid.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #82 Misguided, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Can you clarify, please? Is the issue that you don't have enough gold to enter puzzle mode, or something else? I honestly don't mind the presence of IAP in games in many cases, but this sort of thing where you have to wait real time is one of my pet peeves. There's even an exception to that case, where a game is designed to be played for a couple of minutes each day.

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    ugh. I have been looking forward to this one. looks like I'll be waiting too. I watched Sanuku's video and was so boggled when I saw something timed (the tax thing) on a payed, non social game. That was the first red flag. this sucks..

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Queuing up as well. Will likely purchase once the balance gets sorted.

5. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Kinda bummed to see how this one went out to the point where funds (actual money) restrict gameplay. I would have loved to have picked it up, but the pay wall seems so unnecessary. Imagine how many buys they would have from TA alone if such a wall didn't exist.

It's crazy how many willing buyers we have around here, but this kind of business/game obviously makes us scatter from a purchase like this.

6. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I have a rule of thumb generally. If I have to wait to play a game I bought, unless it is a preorder, I shouldnt have bought it. Guess this falls in this category, I shall pass. Thanks for the info, guys.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I was going to accept everything about the game until I saw the gravity of what Killercow said... A pay wall to just PLAY the game is unacceptable. It's why I am disgusted with almost every Facebook game, and most building sims. The fact that you are able to buy your way into a game is shameful. Allowing people to level up certain things in game to expedite stuff is one thing, but to restrict gameplay EVER... No.

It's why Bubble Witch Saga's popularity has boggled my mind. I'm simply astonished that the game does so well... For being so... So.... Mediocre.

More than anything, though, I think I'm most sad to see an end to real gaming as we know it.

In no world, in NO circumstance, in NO situation is consumable IAP acceptable! But developers are greedy enough to know that yes, it works. We are a crow like society where we invest money to make things Go faster, happen now! And maybe it's that reason which we should look to ourselves, since if we didn't BUY, and it didn't make money, they wouldn't be doing it.

But in the end, there is a reason the movie Idocracy exists.

Soon, we will all hear this line: "go away, 'batin!!"

And if anyone wants to know why Ow, My Balls exists, watch that movie.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    So I have been playing this game for 45 minutes or so and it is a nice, enjoyable casual game. There is definitely some strategy involved both in handling the matching part of the game and in managing resources. There is certainly some real depth to the town building and management aspects.

It is way to early for me to tell if excessive grinding is required in order to avoid spending more real money on IAP. I hate that in paid games as much as anyone here. In any case, this is quite a polished game and worth a gander if you are not too offended by the possibility that it tries too hard to sell that awful IAP stuff.

9. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Other review sites have good things to say about it. Check out STP's review...

10. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I know...jeez now I'm torn. Prob will wait a few days but this does look good. And hey it's only a buck

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am really enjoying this game, very polished and well designed. I play games in short bursts, so this is perfect.

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Similar early impression here. I'm a little bit past where Sanuku's video ended, and I have almost 300 gold. Hard to tell how much overall strategy there is. It would be nice if decisions had a real impact, but I suspect that this is kind of the fishdom model where eventually you unlock everything.

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    It seems clear to me that the length of time it will take to unlock things is directly tied to how good your strategy is. If you fail at strategy the game will wear out it's welcome.

For instance, I am using the simple tactics to sell resources I have an oversupply of and using that in-game currency to buy resources needed to craft buildings that will increase my production of the harder to get resources.

14. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    This looks interesting. I've wanted another Dungeon Raid style game. While I don't like consumable IAPs as much as the next person, if they are entirely shortcuts and not needed then whatever.

However, what's this about the game giving you money every X hours? To me that's huge flashing lights saying stay away from this. Having such a mechanic means at some point you must run out of money if not extremely careful. And then you wait or pony up some $$$.

Hmm.

15. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    My game crashes on loading screen every time...any other iPod touch 4g users experiencing this? Gonna try to restart my device.

16. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    #96 sooz, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Ok...hit the paywall and I'm ticked off.

Can someone tell me if the bonus queue up? So if there a 1 hour bonus and I don't play for 3 hours...when I come back it'll just be the one bonus,right? So any chance to get momentum is basically dead.

17. Proc19

Proc19 Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    About 45 minutes in and liking the game. Simple, casual, but still fun (for reference, I'm a huge fan of Dungeon Raid). With some basic strategy (keeping an eye on market price for selling resources and collecting more resources to sell for coins than the 30 coins I spend), I've always been able to come out ahead when farming, at least so far. I don't anticipate ever needing IAPs to sustain the game unless the tile draw changes significantly (e.g., some sort of difficulty ramp later).

18. Proc19

Proc19 Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    One possible suggestion that's worked for me so far -- spend your resources on as many lumber jacks as you can afford early on, then try to make it a goal to always collect at least 6 lumber when farming. That will ensure that you always net positive on farming (since I assume you're collecting other resources as well during that time).

19. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    As an (amateur) developer, it's frightening to read people quibbling over spending 69p/99c. You spend more than that without any thought walking to work probably on a can of drink or sweets etc.

Making a game requires hard work to make it and years of training and experience and seems a lot of people don't want to put a value on that skill any more. It's sad.

Anyway, downloading this now. I don't care about iap. Never used it in any game, my choice - if it means I have to give up on a game, then so be it.

20. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    People aren't angry about the price tag of 99 cents, they're pissed off at a 99 cents app that has IAP and a 2 hour timer that limits you.