Universal Puzzle Craft - (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You still can. The Boat is big enough for us all that want to finally see Developer take some Action and stop forcing us to buy their iAP.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #42 Vovin, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Oh, he did, but then the IAPsea swallowed and drowned him.

There are more than enough games without IAPs that require a lot of grinding.
    A bit of grinding does not harm anyone, imo. I just din't understand why Gabrien is always judging so hard when it comes to optional IAPs.

3. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    this game is still not out in my country appstore.

so looks like you've just saved me a buck...

er...i really dont think any developer of any game is going to come out and say "yeah, you need to buy IAP, or else it's just a grindfest"

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This guy knows what's up. :p

Oh, and yeah...Gabrien saved me a buck too. If I'd listen to him more I'd be saving another buck. :p Then again, I'm losing an additional $2 because of him, so it balances out. :p

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Sure? It's a dangerous game to come to touch Arcade and lie about the necessity of IAPs.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh, I'm definitely not saying that the developer is lying...it's just in this day and age, you'll see the term "optional" everywhere on the App Store, but that doesn't mean that some "encouraging" isn't totally possible when it comes to purchasing IAPs.

That said, I haven't played the game, so I can't comment on it specifically. I was just talking in general.

7. ArsThanea

ArsThanea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 9, 2010
    www.atgames.pl
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hey guys,

Game will be released tomorrow at the European Appstore so you can figure out that you don't need to buy inApps to finish the game.Every one who played our game finished it *without* inApps. That was the main goal for us: to create game which will be awarding players for playing, not punish them. There is few options when you can spend your money, but they are not obligatory.
    In game there is only one currency and you can easily earn money by collecting resources and selling them in ingame shop.

The game takes about 10-15h of playing to finish and it's not iapps driven. If any of you will be on the Gamescom Cologne tomorrow we are happy to show you the game.

Best

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I also believe that every gamer feels different about grinding. One can't grind enough just out of pure fun (or maybe a mental disorder) while the other one can't stand even a minute of grinding. So all opinions about the necessity of "optional IAPs" will differ. Legend Four is a fantastic example. And yes, I agree, there's also a big difference between IAPs which are either "encouraging" or "forcing". That's what I've meant. Happy Street, for example, is - in my opinion - heavily encouraging, but not forcing you to buy IAPs as long as you're patient and happy with slower advancement and about 30 minutes gaming time a day.

In my definition, "forcing IAPs" means that you have not a single chance to advance in a game or finish a game without using IAPs.

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

I have to completely agree. The game idea and mechanics are really quite fun and the overall presentation is great too. However in my opinion the IAP's really ruin the game because without actually purchasing any, you're gonna be doing a lot of waiting around and I really hate that. it's a real shame because if this game had followed the Kairosoft method of creating a fun building/strategy game without the need for IAP's then I could defo see this doing well, but as it is I really can't see myself going back to it

10. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    lol - so any IAP, period is bad? Just a blanket universal statement?

What about expansions of content like in games like Ascension? What about free light versions of games that use IAP to upgrade to a full game? What about grinding games like Tiny Towers or Pocket Planes where you can play for free all you want, but just "level up" faster by supporting the game?

I cannot imagine how much I would have missed had I not taken advantage of IAP to unlock unlimited turns in a game like Triple Town.

11. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    will you be there on friday too ?
    back to topic:
    2 hours left and i think i will pick the game up
    sure iApp isnt great but on the other hand zenonia 1 or inotia had a lot
    of grinding too there just was no iApp to speed the grind up

12. ArsThanea

ArsThanea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 9, 2010
    www.atgames.pl
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hey mattll

Unfortunatelly we will be leaving Thursday evening.
    But soon we well post some reviews from the journalists who finished the game without buying any of inApps. They are quite positive. I'll say once agai: The game is not iApp driven. If you need money to go to the fields you can always sell some of gathered resources in game market.

13. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    What's up guys and gals!

Back from my vacation now and just want to reiterate what our friends at Ars Thanea are saying. This is absolutely NOT an IAP driven game. If it was then it would be free :). Puzzle Craft allows you (like many thousands of other paid for apps out there) to pay for a 'shortcut' to completion, but that's all it is. I hope my previous comments on here hold me in good stead-always been honest-and those of you on the fence decide to take the plunge. You won't regret it I'm sure!

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You mean all 68 of your posts? Or some specific ones from those which managed to build your reputation? Because every single one of your contributions has been inside Chillingo threads, doing little more than rattling off sales pitches. Which is your job after all, right? Just like the claim here: it sure "sounds friendly" and who is actually going to go looking through your previous posts (even if there are only 68) to check for what specifically you could possibly mean?

15. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Chillingo guy answering posts inside Chillingo threads...well, yeah? ;)

I didn't start any of these threads, friend, I just chime in every now and again when posters are unsure about controls, monetization models, etc. Probably part of the reason my post count is so low. I'm sure if you read (indeed it seems you already have) all 68 of my posts, you'll agree that if they are sales pitches then I sure as blueberries am not being employed as a salesman. Besides, what does number of posts have to do with integrity?

It's fine if you don't believe me though, I still hope you play the game and have a great time with it.

All the best
    Dan

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Folks, be civil, please. If you want to have a general discussion about the evils of IAP, please do it outside this thread. Let's try and keep the conversation to the discussion of IAP in this game, specifically. As soon as some people grab it tonight, we can get more firsthand info. I'm going to be sitting in my car for 2 hours later and would love to be playing this, but it won't be out yet.

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I love match 3 games and this one in particular looked really good fun.

Having read the last 2-3 pages I've decided to save my money, I dislike IAPs intensely and I'd rather not buy something that encourages them to continue at it.

tbh I'd much rather the game was £2 and no iap's at all. but hey, its not up to me. :(

18. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    As much as i appreciate Gabrien's contributions here ( you saved me a lot of euro's) i can't recall buying a Chillingo game wich i regretted due to iap's.
    Dan has always responded in the forums in a very galant way.
    It's hard to believe the dev here is making any money on a €0.79 game (apple-chillingo-dev) Normally i would buy a coin doubler or something but a 10 hour game for a buck with some grinding doesn't sound too shabby for me. As long as there is no pay wall or endless grinding it's cool. The only thing that worries me is Gabrien's statement he got out with less gold as he started with.
    Anyone else's comment on that would greatly be appreciated.

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You said you hoped your previous comments here hold you in good stead. Implying that, you've built up a reputation upon which your words alone are to be trusted. I wondered if there was any substance to that claim or if it was just a confidence trick. Then checked your posts. Then asked you if there was something I was missing.

20. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Haven't played the game yet, but almost every game these days has something you can 'unlock'. I for one like the sense of progression, and if the devs want to charge a buck for people who don't like it, more power to them. I'm not a fan of consumable IAP but paying for a 'cheat' or expansion content is fine.