Universal Puzzle Craft 2 (by Chillingo, Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 17, 2015.

1. shrinkish

shrinkish Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I think landscape does feels good with this

2. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    #82 HLW, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    It's been a while since I played Puzzle Craft so I'm not sure how different this one is, but I'm enjoying it so far.

A couple of questions:
    - What does the Sorceress's Hut do?
    - do the workers from the Magic Portal carry over to other towns? Currently it says I have 1/81 (on the second town), if I used up all 81 on the second town would that mean I have none for the third town etc?

Oh and I need people for the embassy stuff Gamecenter ID: HLW10

3. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yep! I noticed that last night when I unexpectedly played for 2hrs straight :)

I do kinda miss playing in portrait though. Wonder why they changed that..

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmmm how exactly do you add people in the embassy? I feel like everyone in the embassy was added from my Gamecenter friends list.

I suppose they wanted to have it more of a landscape view to fit as much as they could on the screen rather than scrolling long lengths across the map. I did like the convenience of portrait but it looks better in landscape..

5. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes they are (or from Facebook), but I don't have enough people on Gamecenter with this game - that's my Gamecenter ID.

6. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    #86 indalico, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    They don't give enough workers from the buildings to buy everything that needs them. The other workers will need to be bought with runes. Forgot to mention the workers do carry over from other towns.

7. firsttouchgame

firsttouchgame Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2015
  8. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I don't have an embassy yet, but I tried to add L.Lawliet and HLW on GC. If anyone wants to add me on there, my name is the same as on here.

9. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Anyone know how videos work? I had a bunch but haven't since yesterday...are they limited per day or something or did I mess up a setting when I tested the game in airplane mode?

10. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    ...And they just reappeared. Must be that I watched all of them or something.

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    There is a limit per day and it usually resets 24 hours after you watched the last one.

12. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I just acquired the embassy part. I think it's great that they made quests available to do with your friends. Not sure if they can be completed easily though

13. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    I loved the first one and I love this one. I bought the IAP for increased challenges. It seems to be an artificial way to help you rank up a bit faster, but with the challenges, it still makes you earn it. I am amazed at how many layers there are in this game. You should spend all your runes on hiring more people. That's where you get the most value.

14. Nycteris

Nycteris Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I crashed and lost my savefile in updates, in the first one and it frustrated me so much. Should I try 2? Is it worth it?

15. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I don't understand progression in the game. I was working on the first town, Shipwreck, when the game decided I must move on to the 2nd town. But in the 2nd town the farm only has 10 turns (with the well) and I burned through my coins in about an hour, especially with the mine costing 100!! coins per shot. Seems like an IAP-fest to me. I just want to play the damn game.

16. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    When the game came out, I played for 5 hours straight without stopping, and without spending a cent on IAP. Here are some tips that helped me out, in no particular order:

1.) Go for the big matches when they are available.

The more you scoop up, the more resources you get, the more bang you get for your moves, the more buildings you can build, the more stuff you can accomplish in general. Also, the bigger matches you make, the more bonus resources you get, and the more able you are to collect those bonus resources because more of them spawned, and the more experience you get as a result. Last but certainly not least, if you can match up a long enough chain of the bonus resources, you get coins, which gives you money, which gives you more cracks at the Fields and the Mine.

2.) Spend runes on hiring more workers once you build the portal.

The more workers you have, the more species you can unlock, the more you can reduce your limits on how many of X gathered resource gives you Y item, etc.

3.) Do ALL the missions and challenges.

These things level you up, so you can build more buildings, and they give you more money, so that you can work in the fields more. They are very useful.

4.) Abuse your tools, and craft tools to get even more bang for your buck.

Tools do not use up moves, and they are a quick way to vacuum up a lot of a specific kind of resource. You don't get bonus resources if you use the tools to get a lot of a particular resource, so be aware of that. Also, they make it easier to get the bonus resources so that you can get the more hard-to-get items. Also, don't be afraid to spend your influence to get a bunch of free tools from the portal, once you build it; the magic tools in particular are very powerful, and using them at the right time can turn things very quickly into your favor.

5.) Carefully pick what species to use.

Every species has a drawback and a benefit. Figuring out optimal combinations (and making sure you check the "Active" checkbox so that they will actually show up in the field XD ) is key to maximizing output over input.

6.) Abuse free moves.

Free moves are essentially free resources. Early on, the Turkey will almost always be better than any other waterfowl because the first two times you match them are free moves, making it that much easier to acquire lots of resources. Also, certain buildings you build also let certain types of resources have a number of free moves as well. Pick and choose what species you use wisely, and you'll have more than enough resources to take care of any challenges and quests you may have.

7.) Unlock the building that lets you spend food instead of gold to use the mine as soon as you can.

As has been noted, spending 100 gold to go mining is very expensive. There's a building that lets you spend food to go mining instead, and it's a GODSEND. This means you can exhaust all of your gold on the fields to get a ton of food, then blow through your excess food to get a ton of mine-specific resources. It lengthens your play sessions and maximizes your gold investment in the fields.

8.) Try to get the free runes for skilled play for each mining session.

A free rune will always drop per mining session, but it is nested inside another resource. You match a certain number of that resource with the rune-nested resource (and it HAS to be a match, it can't be a tool) to then acquire the rune, and it'll tell you how many of that resource you need to match in order to get the rune. You have three tries to make the match, and using a tool does count as a try, so keep that in mind. If you don't match it in time, the rune dissipates.

9.) Be patient, and take your time.

This game has ways to speed things up or make things easier to play the game. All of these are 100 percent optional. Take a deep breath and don't spend runes to save your field for the next session. Don't spend runes to go three extra moves in the mine. Don't spend a rune to double the amount of moves you have in the field, you can build a building that spawns a tool that does the same thing. Don't spend your gold to buy decorations for your towns, no matter how appealing they may be. Don't freak out if you can't match the rune-nested resource in the mine. Don't spend runes to allow silver and coal to normally drop in the mine in addition to being bonus resources, as that only works once per mining session. Be frugal, and use common sense to get the most out of each gold or rune investment. Also, there is no time limit for your moves, so you can think about each match before you make it. Use that freedom of thought to your advantage. Last but not least, use the market and sell some of your excess resources if you are uber-desperate to keep playing but end up broke.

Make of my advice whatever you will. I hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

P.S. I was one of the original evangelists for the first game because I absolutely adored its design and concept. Yes, it has free-to-play monetization, but it powerfully rewarded skilled and thoughtful play back then, and it carries that spirit and adds a hyperbolic level of complexity and appropriately scaled rewards for navigating that complexity in this sequel. In short, the game is AMAZING, and if this doesn't get 5 stars from TouchArcade I will be a pouty face.

17. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I appreciate all of the thoughts Mr. Album - a couple of those things are news to me, so that's helpful.

18. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes.

In addition to the tips from MrAlbum, once you have access to the shop you can sell items to get coins, you can gain coins per run this way. I haven't had to buy coins or trade runes for coins.
    Also if you have any wood left over from the first town you can go back and craft tools which carry over to the second town.

I've been having trouble getting pigs, but I've been using chickens not turkeys - I'll try turkeys instead, the free moves might help, thanks for the tip!

19. PsYcHoNoVa

PsYcHoNoVa Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    
    I only have one issue with the game. The Sounds/Music is slightly messed up. Some sounds are abnormally high, while other sounds are abnormally low. If I adjust the settings to lower the high pitched bird, I can't hear anything else.

I'm looking for Game Center friends to complete Quests with. My Game Center name is PsYcHoNoVa

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    If anyone needs to add me on GC, my username is in my signature.

Also, this game seems a bit stingy on first but eventually you'll be able to collect a pile of coins because you won't be playing every single time you open the app, so you can just collect coins and leave if you're busy (stockpile). Also, gems are best used for buying workers and saving / adding more turns to your best runs (or maybe that's all you can do with them?). Don't be afraid to spend them to get the rare mat build ups.