Universal Puzzle Craft 2 (by Chillingo, Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 17, 2015.

1. riverstomp

riverstomp Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    More observations

Since my last post I continued playing despite feeling a bit uncertain after the transition to the third town. My new verdict now: The basic mechanics from version one were extended in some clever and unexpected fashion; after figuring out the newer features I am now very happy with that game. However I still think that a tutorial section and a more informative UI would help tremendously with the general enjoyment.
    I am now L 31 and probably in the endgame phase of the third town. As I see it only 4 buildings are missing. At the beginning of the third town I lacked severely on money and resources, but now money is not an issue anymore but the whole thing starts to feel like a grind; much more time need to be invested in the progress.

Two things still bug me:
    - the online quest part still is not functional. I cant connect to a server
    - the freetoplay model. I am no big fan of ftp and would have preferred to pay a fixed sum for all the features.

Right now I am looking to buy an extra package to support the developers; still not sure which of the three alternatives (-50% bonus time, 2x challenges, 2x tool limit) would fit best into my playstyle.

2. Puzzzle Master

Sep 23, 2015
    As the Puzzle Master, I finished all the King.com, Juice Jam, Cookie Jam, Two dots and more without buying even one IAP, i taking myself the Puzzle Craft 2 challenge

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Sail the boat over shallow or deep water (I forget which).

4. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I bought all three, but they all offer big advantages, the challeges let you level up fater but the bonus time and tools are great too...

5. Tizona

Tizona Active Member

Jan 26, 2013
    After a lot of hours playing this game.

I have played this ggame up to level 40 where the game conjured a barrier to stop me from advance further. Probably waiting for the next update.

If that is the case, that will be my first complain: you releasehed an unfinished game.

Next thing on the list is the sea puzzle map. The previous version has 2 maps, farm and mine. You farm to get food for the mine and you mine ore to make tool to farm some more and both maps can generate coin and trophy if you upgrade citizen to maximum level.

Sea puzzle map extend that into a triangle of item. Some tools need salt and seawater to craft. But since the sea map has a different mechanic and add different challenge to the game, I give this one a praise.

The different plant/animal type is a very nice touch. Especially, some corn/chicken which can be collected with grass and tree are great idea. But some tree and animal which drop vegetable is nearly useless due to low drop. Probably need more worker to reduce the harvest requirement, which is blocked because the game can't progress through that magic barrier.

Collecting long chain to unlock plant or animal is a serious grinding issue. Collecting carrot to unlock the next thing eat a lot of coins and time. Collecting long chain of apple to unlock the next thing is next to impossible with rune since you can't hire worker to reduce harvest requirement, which is blocked because the game can't progress through that magic barrier. Yes, I copied and pasted from the last paragraph to express my anger.

Three type of currency is also an issue. Crowns are gained from doing puzzle, which needs tools to go through in some hard puzzle, otherwise it is a breeze. Unlocking the royal puzzle in the previous town cost goods in the town which the game will prioritize high tier of goods such as inks, silver, and apple, leaving you with hundreds of hay and wood. It annoys me a lot, but it may balance the puzzle and force you to play some more. So I am a bit ambivalent on this.

However, If it wasn't because of some irritating bug in the first game, I would still play that game, but the bug where of you accidentally click on icon instead of the dropped item and then you lose the item, in my case workers, you lose them forever, and in case of workers there is a cap. Because of that I uninstall the game with absolute hatre.

This version fixed that, which I would praise the developer to the heaven for that.

My personal and extremely bias conclusion: I like this game a lot more than the first one because you fixed that bug. I will await the next update.

6. Jezzerh

Jezzerh Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm enjoying the game so far but really struggling to collect 'soup'. I have the carrot and cucumber unlocked but rarely see them on the puzzle grid. They seem to appear when I link ten trees together. Anyone else got an easier way?

7. Garnek

Garnek New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    The easiest way to get a carrot is to link 8 grains together, just use wheat or corn.

8. slappypappy03

slappypappy03 New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Collecting whirlpools

I have a challenge to collect 5 whirlpools in one visit. Is there a trick to making these appear?

9. kidd546

kidd546 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Looks like the new town update is coming on October 1st, according to their Facebook page.

They said it would be 40 hours of gameplay- seems like that is as long as I spent on the previous 4 villages. Not sure how accurate that estimate is!

10. snippygal

snippygal Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    The comparisons in this thread to the original Puzzle Craft inspired me to pick it back up again, and I'm really annoying jt (the original). I particularly like the extended time available on the field, with certain items counting for free moves earlier on, and with many more days earlier on, too. While I like the "quests" and unlockable research items in PC2, and the variations those offer, I pretty much miss the straightforward gaming of the original.

One thing I DO miss about PC2 is the automatic pick-up of items on the town map! I keep forgetting I need to tap on them to claim them.

11. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    The original Puzzle Craft was one of my favorite games. What a shame to see it corrupted into a complete freemium mess.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Have you tried it? I don't like freemium myself but this one is one of the best kinds of freemium out there.

and NEW UPDATE IS OUT. I'm still far from accessing the swamp area but there's new species and items to collect. As expected, PC2 is a wonderful game.

13. kidd546

kidd546 Active Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Fair warning- the new town costs 20 runes to unlock, no other option to unlock it. Make sure to save up.

14. PsYcHoNoVa

PsYcHoNoVa Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    
    The snow level is pretty.

15. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Update out!

Seriously, the freemium system is quite unobtrusive.

16. TW0R

TW0R New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Just got to the 4th town. How do I get wheat since it doesnt grow? Can only collect enough grass at a time to get one or 2 and theyre usually spread apart.

17. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Use the fertilizer to get wheat. You will eventually be able to build things that add a spring season (which will add wheat)

18. PsYcHoNoVa

PsYcHoNoVa Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    
    ATTENTION CHILLINGO!

Please remove or fix the sound of the annoying high pitched bird, that's heard while on the farm. The sound is extremely loud, and is 50 decibels higher than everything else. For some reason it is tied into the Music setting, instead of the the Sound setting. Therefore, I have to play the game without the music, which is a bummer because it's good.

19. igorgorina

igorgorina Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I find the constant message and "you deserve a reward" stuff very annoying. They feel obtrusive, my play experience could have been so much better, without that constant spamming.

Other then that, the game feels good for relaxing, chilling on your couch when you have nothing else to do. The progress is straight forward, you will find all the f2p elements you would expect from such a game, but the IAP is not in your face, which is quite a nice change.

All in all, a nice match 3 game combining mincraftian elements.

20. ATGames

ATGames Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Thank for info. That's interesting because we had feedback like this in the past and we've already lowered volume of birds on the fields greatly. I assume it's still to loud for you. If that is the case - with the nearest update we will lower it down.
    Are you playing with headphones?