Push

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Underoath777, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    #1 Underoath777, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    Hey. Can anyone tell me how push works please? I just got the new iphone 3GS and i got the AP mobile app but im not sure how it works or what do i have to enable.
    Oh and what other apps support push?
    THanks!

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The makers of the app set up a server.When you get say, a new IM then the server sends a message to Apple's servers. Apple's servers then send your device a message.

Open a Push enabled app and you will get a notification asking if you will allow it to push notices. Say yes.

In Settings there will be a new area called Notifications located under Airplane Mode and Wi-Fi.

There you can turn all push notifications off or for specific applications or even specific kinds of notices.

AIM, BeejiveIM, IM+, Star Defense, Tap Tap Revenge 2 all have Push enabled

3. Underoath777

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    Oh i get it, but i thought AP mobile had push on it. Im gonna try it with IM+. Thanks again for the response!!

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I never used it so I didn't know. I just assumed it was cause you said you had it and couldn't get push to work.

luckily it's a quick download. After you open the app click the country you are in and the Push Notification pop up appears asking for permission. Then give the app your zip code, pick the headlines you want, and it's good to go

5. Underoath777

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    #5 Underoath777, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    Thats weird, i never got that push notification.
    EDIT: I did get the notification after deleting the app and re-installing it but when I go to Settings- Notifications it says it is off and when I tap it there are no options to turn it on/off
    EDIT #2: After trying many different things, I found out that you have to select a US city in order to get Push notifications. I live in Canada and this app isnt even on the Canadian App Store, thank GOd it was for free because I have an American itunes account with no credit card. :)

6. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Is there any way I can set up push notifications (text popup) for Mail?

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hmm.. Then you are talking about push email. So you'll need a mobileme or an exchange account that supports push email.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    yahoo also does push.

But to answer the original question by marioman, No. You can't get the text pop up for emails.