iPad Push Notifications are now LIVE

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Jun 15, 2009.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So why is this in the games section?

Cause the first app with it is Tap Tap Revenge 2!

I posted a quick mention in the Circuit_Strike.One thread as having notifications on cause the game to run a LOT slower, to the point where it was unplayable until I turned the push service off. So please be aware that having Notifications on can slowdown games.

TTR2 update:

What's new
    • Support for Push Notifications on iPhone OS 3! Tap Tap's icon on the Springboard will be badged with an unread count for new feed items. SMS-style alerts will arrive when you're challenged to a game by your friends.

• New interface for sending a challenge to your friends, or creating a Battle. Choose from a list of Tapulous friends, or send email to others.

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Switching wifi off before starting the game is the best solution - ads slow it down too.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    TTR2 works just fine. But CSone doesn't at all.

It could be because TTR2 was obviously made to make use of 3.0 and it uses a special active throttling to avoid slowdown

4. jwr94

jwr94 Well-Known Member

i have just installed it!!!!!

5. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    is this only for iphones?

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    no, the notifications will just appear whenever you have a wifi connection if you are on an ipod touch

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

How can the notifications slow down the game? They should be pushed to the device whether the app is running or not. And the app itself can push events to the server of the devs if the user creates such an event. What in this infrastructure can slow down a running app?

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Notifications don't magically appear out of thin air. The device maintains a constant IP connection to Apple's servers. The third party's server tell's apple's server you have a notification.

The device checks with the server to see if there are notifications.

If notifications are present the device has to retrieve them then do the appropriate action. Sound, Badge, Alert (same as a sms pop up), or a mixture of the three.

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Yes, but that would mean that the notifications would slow down the system as a whole and overall, the phone is of course already having a connection open to get calls and sms (while that not being a ip-connection). circuit_strike.one seems to have other problems.

Well, in few days we can all see the behaviour of apps with this feature enabled.

10. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Anyway, i seriously doubt notifications are the cause for slowdowns...that would completely make Apple look like sh..

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It definitely is the cause. I turn notifications off and CSone plays just fine. But CSone was not tested by Apple on 3.0 so I don't blame them (Apple) or the dev of CS.One (h.grenade)

Until all apps are certified to be working on 3.0 then this could come up again so I figured I'd give everyone a heads up before they went and downloaded it.

12. antonioj

Apr 27, 2009
    But you just explained it. What i meant was that i doubt push notifications will slowdown a 3.0 fully compatible app.

Anyway...anyone wants to test push with me on tap tap? My username: ares07

13. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I often go into airplane mode before a gaming session.

14. I've experienced no slowdowns when push notifications have been enabled with the last two apps Apple wanted us to test. At least on my ipod touch 2G...no slowdowns. What do you mean they are now LIVE? They've been live for past month or so on select apps.

15. antonioj

Apr 27, 2009
    he means anyone with GM installed can test them...it´s a not a private test like the ones you participated in