Universal [PULLED] The House of the Dead: Overkill- The Lost Reels - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    #121 dexter77, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    Maybe you are wondering about something that is not possible (or compatible with the market needs), assuming that SEGA can also port the full game in all its glory only a small percentage of devices could be able to run it, take a better look at the original version, there's so much graphic and real time post fx that should be hard also for a 4th gen ipad to manage all that stuff...
    In some way i completely agree with what you are saying but still remains that it's not a realistic view.
    Apple devices are comparable to consoles but at the same time are still not consoles at 100%.

2. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    Found a strange bug, if you miss to shoot a breakable door the next zombie wave will completely ignore you passing over your character and hiding outside the screen, the camera stops to proceed along the rail forcing you to quit the application.

3. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I like the game,the controls are the top(the Virtual Pad)is my favorite,while accelerometer it's not fun like in other games,like RAGE HD,the level are 12,divided into 3 chapter,I've buy the last with the stripper,NAKED TERROR,and is my favorite,the only think I hope they update the game for are the music,it's boring the same background music in an arcade game when you have to repeat the levels lot of time,and I appreciated a lot the original WII,PS3 soundtrack,so I hope they added some songs from the original soundtrack! I buy the 6 combo gadget,and i've upgrade the magnum playing with CANDY STRIPPER(Fast Reload)the fourth charater,but I don't do fast cash,any tips for fast cash?

4. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thanks for the tip, beat him on my second try ( didn't see this the first time)

5. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I'm having lots of fun with this and I was not at all sure I would. The default aiming method is incredibly good, which is crucial in an on-rails shooter like this.

Unlocking the Tap Frenzy almost felt like cheating, but it's a great way to consistently earn a lot of cash once you invest in (at least) maxing out the combo multiplier.

Apart from buying the extra chapter, I can't see any need to spend more real money on weapon upgrades or gadgets. I managed 'S' rating on every level in the first 2 chapters using only a fully upgraded Colt.

I can see why people think this game is short, but I'd prefer it to be very good and short than have more detrimental issues such as poor controls, paywalls or overpriced weapons and upgrades.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just beat the two part story and it felt long and short at the same time. It felt long because I had to grind to get the stuff I wanted but short because obviously it's just two areas that repeat the places you visit in different zones.

The absolute best level to grind is stage 1 of the 2nd area. That level takes around 2 minutes to beat being ridiculously short and there's lots of Kash in that level. On average without getting S ranking, I'd get around 6,000 ish Kash per round. It felt almost like cheating. You could get more if you S ranked it everytime as well. I used that to get all the stuff I wanted.

I noticed that all the guns are effective in some way once maxed out. For precision and general use, the Colt is the best. For a secondary I'd say the auto-shotgun is decent but somewhat slow. The assault was my favorite weapon for a time but it burns ammo very quickly. However I may prefer using that over the shotgun but it doesn't feel as fun. I actually didn't upgrade the firerate for the assault because it already shoots way too fast.

7. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    I am not expecting a true 100% port. But it can me MUCH improved upon. Look at the Unreal engine games like Infinity Blade, Lily and Rage. All prime examples of how games push the hardware of the iOS platform. HOTD isn't even making an effort to do that to come closer to the Wii experience. That is what I meant to say. I wanted a HOTD SO bad but I pass. And it's not often I pass Sega because despite being a mediocre iOS publisher (Sonic Racing was almost the DS version instead of the better one it could have been) I like their games (I STILL hope they release a Super Monkey Ball killer game for the iPad again).

I KNOW this game could have been A LOT better. A LOT. And they decided not to go there.
    That is what hurts after sending them letter after letter begging for a port of this game to iOS.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    madebymadison, you never know...Overkill may still come to iOS. Just because this exists, doesn't mean that Overkill may not come in the future. You know, like...Overkill, not The Lost Reels. ;)

That said, I'm more than happy with this. Been playing it on and off all week. First of all, you have to be a complete idiot to spend real money on Kash. There are more than enough tips in this thread to ensure you're getting an S on every single level, every single time and like L.Lawliet said, 2-1 is ridiculously short and generous. It's also perfectly clear why Tap Frenzy is unlockable and not available from the start.

Overall, for $6.99 (with Naked Terror, of course), this is an easy recommendation. Sure, I'd love a full port of Overkill, but if not, at least I know I'll always have House of the Dead on my iDevices, especially considering how relatively small the file size is too.

9. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    how do i beat the 2nd boss (screamer)?

10. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    Upgrade the machine gun to the max (ammo & damage) then shoot to the screamer when he's hiding behind the zombie wave, different upgraded weapons are crucial for beating bosses.

11. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    thank you

12. sakinnuso

sakinnuso Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    hell. looks like the took out the cool stuff that made HOTD: Overkill really fun. No hilarious banter between the agents? No awesome cut scenes? No purchase.

Sega keeps winning.

This is sad. I thought this would've made a fantastic IOS port.

If they're going to mutilate Shenmue like this, thanks, but no thanks.

13. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Ive only completed the first 4 lvls (replayed level 3 twice),have all B's.How do you get A's. All headshots, receive no damage, collect all collectibles? what ?

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

You'll need to buy the combo multipliers (x6 and x9) and when you do, you'll have no trouble getting that S rank!

15. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    ^^^

Thank you sir :D, Im on it

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Focus on unlocking the score multipliers. I started off by upgrading the shotgun completely and then once I got to 2-1 and started "grinding", I bought both of the score multipliers and the colt. Upgraded that and I could probably tap my screen blindly (with Tap Frenzy) and get an S on any level.

EDIT: Hate you KC. :p

17. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

That's interesting because I got the Colt as my first bought weapon (because it was relatively inexpensive) and found it quite easy to get S on everything - not including Chapter 3 because I still haven't bought that yet.

If there is something magical about the Colt, I honestly didn't know. I expect my game experience has been different from other people's - both bosses beaten with S rating on first attempt. Maybe they should put a warning on the Colt if it's that much of an uber weapon...

18. xhoffzillax

xhoffzillax New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    What a bummer 3 1/2 hours all guns with upgrades all perks and all trophies died like twice and tap frenzy could be better.

Looks like this will be a when I'm bored app till updates.

19. deadcandance

deadcandance Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I bought the stripper pack Got my tap shoot option open. Now when I play the unlocked level it just kick me out after a short while and closes the ap. anyone else?

20. deadcandance

deadcandance Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I bought the stripper pack Got my tap shoot option open. Now when I play the unlocked level it just kick me out after a short while and closes the ap. anyone else?