Universal [PULLED] The House of the Dead: Overkill- The Lost Reels - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Did you ever ask yourself about the difference in price tags between the Wii and iOS versions and to how it could affect the content?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    This is an old game, it isn't worth that much.

Also see Rockstar's ports ;) Max Payne, GTA, all of them the complete deal + upgraded graphics and a crazy low price. All he's saying is that Sega can/should do a lot better, and I tend to agree with him. Just goes to show how awesome Rockstar is, too :D

Hope your wife is doing better man. Best wishes there.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks JBRUU, i really appreciate it.

With Sega's decisions with Zaxxon Escape and Sonic Jump, i wouldnt get my hopes up too high for them. Not sure if they are even considering fixing Jet Set Radio's controls. Even Sonic Dash wasnt well received.

Sega just feels mediocre on the iOS scene. I wish they'd put in more effort in this department.

4. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    How do I get past the 1st boss?

I keep shooting it, but it doesn't take damage and then I get hit by the junk he throws because I can't shoot or avoid it!

5. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    The game was solid on the Wii so I'll give it a shot for 5 bucks on an iOS device. Looking at the youtube videos of gameplay, this definitely looks like 5 bucks worth of game. Now, that $55 game that came out recently? Yeah...

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I am on the exact opposite side of the fence as you. This is one of the few titles that has IAP currency that I will keep on my device for a while. I would pay for more levels and I would even pay more for the option to dl the dialogue. Once you unlock the 6 combo gadget you can get 10 k a level pretty easily. Just invest into Kash fountain and you are looking at another 5 - 10k again.

I am using and iphone 4 and this has a little slow down every now and then. But the fact that its smooth and I can pop heads on the go and grab Goregasms constantly is amazing. Maybe becuase I am left handed - but this has the best aiming control / virtual pad of any game I have played on iOS.

7. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    Exactly. It's all about the smoothness and no graphical hiccups in a game like this. You need to be able to do things on the fly and quickly and if you have a game that stutters or slowdowns to the point of causing issues with aiming you ruin the experience. The devs lowered the graphics in order to reach a broader audience of devices.

8. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    You can get the wii game for under 10. A handheld is the perfect Platform for this game. The short levels are perfect for on the go play yet if I'm hearing this correctly they combined multiple levels into one level. It just doesn't sound like they did a good job making this a good iOS game. Even though I absolutely love this game I just can't bring myself to buy it since it wasn't done the right way.

9. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Same here! ...i used to unlock the max chain first of all and then...
    a Massacre!!:D

Popping zombie heads has never been so much fun!
    Controls are perfect for me, i've unlocked the tap tap option but i found
    the virtual stick so comfortable that i can't stop to use it.
    it's all so smooth!

10. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013

How do you unlock the tap option?

How do you get past the 1st boss?

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    On the fence in this one. I did really like the Wii version.. And the impressions sound good overall, but I can count the number of Sega ports that I played for a couple of days and never looked back.

But this is House of the Dead.....

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Anyone know how long this game lasts before you beat everything? (Two levels?)

13. Sega needs to have some kind of joystick support. All of their games basically are designed for a joystick especially jet set radio and sonic games. Hopefully soon the apple wireless joystick will come out, or maybe sega can start using the icade or gameloft duo gamer joystick. But I think that both Sega and EA would gain by having some kind of joystick support, cause a lot of indies are starting to use icade and gameloft is using their own gameloft joystick for ios.

14. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    Yes I did.
    I still don't understand what Sega did.
    And I am more than happy to pay a lot of cash for a good port (I just spent 165 dollars for the three Idolm@ster games by Namco, priced 55 each).

This game is just TOO GOOD to be treated/ported this poorly. Sorry.

15. skeerup

skeerup Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I have to agree. I've completed the game and have most of the upgrades in under 5 hours. I wish it was the entire Wii game. Doesnt even start the game outside.

16. xhoffzillax

xhoffzillax New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    1 hour to beat entire game with the extra level. Would be nice if they had the original arcade ones to purchase.

17. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    1- to unlock the tap option you must simply complete the first two chapters

2- to Beat the first boss you need to upgrade your Magnum (ammo & damage are the most important) then shoot to Jasper's head when he stands in the center of the stage, you must to shoot also a load of bullets to stop the garbage ball that he throws against you (just look at the blue energy bar on the bottom screen to understand if you have enough fire power to block his attacks).

18. shimmy83

shimmy83 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    Good but it's waaaay too short. Beat the game, and the extra "movie". Was fun but for $7 total bucks the games too easy and too short.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Although the Wii/PS3 version of this game is the exception, all the rest of the House of the Dead games are short. They're meant to be fun arcade shooters to play over again - not an epic Halo game.

20. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013