Universal [PULLED] The House of the Dead: Overkill- The Lost Reels - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This is a nice surprise for tonight. I've been playing house of the dead ever since it was first introduced to me on the Sega Saturn, still my all-time favorite video game system. I just hope it plays well with the other control methods, I'm sure the tap frenzy controls are probably what everyone really wants, so hopefully it doesn't take much to unlock them.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking forward to House of the Dead, provided it's not got IAP unlocks AND a $4.99 price (unless provided content on purchase is good, then IAP is fine).
    Tap-to-shoot games are fairly rare on iOS; and this is not one of them... but I think House of the Dead is a step in the right direction of including more diverse games on iOS.
    For a series like House of the Dead, with roots back in the 1990s, I find the current graphically style nostalgic.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here, it doesnt need updated graphics, it if did we'll be moaning about the huge file size !

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Woah! Now this is a surprise release :)

Love the House of the Dead series, and Overkill was beautiful in every exploitational and gritty way! <3

Definitely picking this up, though I can't help but wonder if this will be as offensive as the original Overkill, considering Apple's guidelines. But I won't complain. Definitely getting this!

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Looks really fun, thanks Sanuku!

7. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Is there an in-game shop option for extra chapters or everything else?

A Three chapters game looks like a starter pack than a full pack, i wonder if they're planning to add more levels... i'm basing my assumption on the fact that the original WII version it has many more, this is the only reason why i'm asking if there's an IAP option...

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sanuku, how much is the 3rd chapter?

9. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Hey Sanuku, Thanxx for the video!!

The devs has done a brilliant port, watching the graphic seems that the original look is preserved, hope that the gameplay will be smooth too...

10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Seems like there's just 3 types of common enemies per area. Couldn't they at least at some variety to clothing colors?

I would have preferred a US release/upgrade of Flick (Typing) of the Dead. This game looks dull. Setting aside the charming campy theme, HotD seems way behind, say, Rage.

Random comment: man Sanuku you're way better at some games than others. Pretty on point with headshots this time! :D Zombie brains everywhere!

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You both are welcome :)

[​IMG]

Should be around $1.99

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Sanuku thanks for the video. Cool to see the game in action.

True but I did buy Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, and After Burner Climax at launch, so passing on this isn't as big a deal. I hope we also see OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast eventually.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's interesting that the IAP material is apparently for the stripper level; they must think we're a bunch of sex starved dweebs.

14. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I would gladly pay 165$ for this Game!

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks for the image, buddy. :) $1.99 it is.

16. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    Me too. With proper programming the iPad2 and up can do much better graphics that rival the original Wii version (or in some games even enhance them like in the Lost Winds series). So I had kind of hoped they'd port the whole damn thing to iOS not three stories, and incredibly downsampled decors and textures that make this look like House Of The Dead 2. This could have looked like Rage (like someone mentioned earlier).

I'll still get it though. But Sega Sega Sega you need to get your act together.
    Two episodes and a third iAP plus consumables plus watered down graphics? What have you done to my favorite Wii game? Seriously.

*back to Idolm@ster @3GB that looks breathtaking. Less strippers though. :eek:*

17. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I think it's a mistake between World,and level,the game it's divided in 3 world,each one with 4 levels,the first world it's in the game,the 2 world it's in the game locked,when you beat the 1 world,you unlocked,and it's ready to play,the 3 world:Naked Terror,it's a IAP,to buy,are the level with the strippers,the lady that was in the PS3 version,so are 12 level,divided into 3 world,that can be mistaken with 3 levels,but toucharcade play the game,and says 3 world,12 levels..

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013

Wait, the game is going to cost $5 and they charge for additional chapters?!?!?!?!?

So the game only has 2 levels?!?!?!?

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    So happy with this purchase. :) Yes, it's cheesy, there aren't a lot of enemy types, there are only 2 worlds with 4 stages each (and the additional world for purchase making them 12 levels), but the levels are long enough, the touch controls are frickin' spot-on (can't wait to get the tap mechanics too), if the graphics on iPad aren't retina, then I'm blind...and I dunno...it's frickin' House of the Dead. Well worth the purchase.