iPad [Pulled] PuzzleQuest Chapter 1 and 2 )by TransGaming)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by currymutton, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    MYST IS ARRIVING ON IPHONE???

Great!!!

Any links with screenshot or a release date?

(Still no PQ update :( )

2. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
  3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
  4. elv

elv Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Is PQ a game that is very long, or does it have good replayability ?
    Adventure games usually don't have a good short term replayability, but here it's more of a puzzle game after all.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #145 Pitta, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    Personally I would rate PQ chapter 1 very long: I'm about 23 hours in and I think I'm near the end because I'm getting a lot of quests with Gruulkar name. I've plenty of things yet to do:getting runes, conquer cities, capturing enemies, training mounts, acquiring new spells...

The game is an RPG though (more than a puzzle game imho), not an adventure (like 1112) and if you like, as many RPGs, you can replay it with a different character class.

6. elv

elv Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Pitta, it was really useful! You're right it's an RPG so it can be very different when replayed.

7. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well, with the TA announced submission of an update, and the knowledge that it will be a downward pricing model (which was the cause of much anger towards the developers!) I think that I'll pick up this game when the update comes out. It's not so much that the small text bothers me, I think. Or it's $10.

Well, maybe it is. But since it seems to be confirmed that future installments will be cheaper, I think the decision was made for me. I've been looking for a deeper game since I got my Touch with little luck. Orions is fun, but the campaign is not (Orions being one of the few "deep" games I've found). And god knows Aurora Feint leaves me lacking, longing for the so called "RPG-ness" that is supposedly offers (Sure you level up, but there's no story! And it seems to have so much potential too....Well, at least they are vocal about their plans for the game).

So the natural choice is puzzle quest. Despite Having games like Aurora Feint and Samurai Puzzle Battle (the latter of which was fun, but like Orions, the campaign is flawed), I still hunger for something more. I'm no match 3 fanboy, but I can't argue that Puzzle Quest doesn't look fun and engrossing, especially compared with it's archaic and dated ancestors like Bejeweled.

So I'm holding out for that update.

Besides, to offer my opinion on the whole "Chapter 1" thing, if the other installments are anything the size of Chapter one, all three would be like 180mbs. Which is a very large file. Which is unreasonably large to me, an 8gb Touch owner. Splitting it up almost seems the ideal, play through Ch. 1 , get Ch. 2 delete Ch. 1, free up that space, etc. As unreasonable as it initially seemed to charge $30 for an iPhone game (This was, of course, the reaction when it first came out, before it was confirmed of a downward pricing model) what with the App store cutting out all the extra costs of shipping, manufacturing, etc, I can kind of understand if it's a huge game. But I wonder what the other installments will cost.........

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hi Maeks!!!
    It was really interesting reading your opinion regarding the 'split chapter' policy.
    While I have a different opinion, I never thought that it could be a space problem for others.
    I do not think tough, even if there are some cutscenes in the game (I already got some, really cool) that the whole disk space will be 'PQ ch1 space X 3'...the whole game is already there and spoken cutscene can't occupy that much more (I think the whole game can be well under 150 Mb).
    We'll see, maybe I'm wrong.
    On the price point part...I honestly feel that I got much more from this chapter 1 than any other game I bought on the App Store, but this is personal preference (I completely stopped playing any other unfinished game I have...Rolando, The Arena, Orions, Enigmo...just to name a few).

As a owner of all the game you've spoken about, as a NON fan of 'match-3' games, as a lover of RPG and good stories for decades now...I do not think you'll be disappointed by PQ.

As you, I was disappointed by the progression of Aurora Feint developement and total lack of story (Aurora Feint is though my very first 3-match game I really played a lot) and while I think Orions is a wonderful product, I liked more the Duel than the campaign (a bit boring imho).
    Idem with Samurai Puzzle.

I have to say that while match-3 is important in Puzzle Quest (as luck)...I do not how to say...in higher levels I feel is MUCH more important which objects you equipped, wich spells/abilities you use to win a fight.
    It really gives me a LOT of satisfaction to win against an Ogre chieftain with more than 80 HP left with just 5 HP, just using strategy and abilities (and luck, obviously...a lot of Heroic Efforts involved).
    Forging objects and especially learning spells...are a different matter...(yesterday I almost throw my iPhone away, after trying to learn the Call Horde spell...you know what? It was fun :) )

Puzzle Quest (this is valid for every version of the game, but especially appreciate on iPhone) is that type of game that give you a sense of deep involvement like any other 'serious' RPG, but that you can play for just 5 minutes chuncks...that's what I like so much about this game.
    This is true for higher levels and when the story get a bit more serious and free...but you can try the free PC demo (or XBOX360 free demo) to have an idea.

9. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    And after you have done that you can ask yourself if you really want a much worse version for the iPhone or buy the game on XBLA.

10. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    So any ideas when the 1.1 update that was previewed a week ago will hit the store? Seems to be taking a very long time! The article said it had been released for review.

11. 78er

78er Member

Version 1.1 available on US Store out now (71.2MB)

12. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    update - old news ----I found out about that a whole 2 minutes ago----but I was on the toilet so I did not post about it out of respect for all of you.

13. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    THat was fast. THanks.

14. Babalu

Babalu Member

Jan 2, 2009
    so what were the improvements? is the text alot better now?

15. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Eh, they cleaned up some of the "blur" but it has a long way to go before I invest in Chapters 2 and 3

16. Shyningfade

Shyningfade Member

Jan 14, 2009
    So there are still slowdown issues? I'm on the fence about this one and I was hoping the update would do a lot more than address some slight blur. If the text is only barely improved, I don't see why they even bothered with the patch.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #157 Pitta, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    Just to let you know that the level cap is 25 (just reached).
    I have still tons of quests to do (not counting capturing enemies, forging items, training mounts and so on).

Some quests are really really nice and unexpected in terms of story.

This game is simply AWESOME, best game and best value, hands down.

Anyone knows when next chapters will arrive?
    Is Galactrix planned?

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Am I the only one playing this game?
    ....sadly I finished Chapter 1.
    You can continue adventuring, doing quests not previously finished, random encounters etc (cool thing)...but obviously you cannot advance the main quest and continue exploring new areas; having already reached the level cap I stopped playing just to avoid multiple level up when chapter 2 arrives.
    I now desperately need next chapters :(

BTW, the PC full demo of Galactrix is out (not the flash battle version, the full 5 level one)....really cool...I strongly hope they port it on iPhone soon (just to avoid the impulse instant buy on PC or XLBA).

19. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Improvement???

Am disappointed they did so little to improve the readability. The only change I see in text is the battle screen. While I can now play the game, my eyesight is not that awful that I should have to strain. I know I'm not the only one in this category. I've addressed this issue with Transgaming again and am hopeful they will put a lot more work into parts 2 & 3 to make it easier to read.

Has anyone noticed any other changes in text besides the Battle screen?

20. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    A great game

I'm also playing this one, a great game, it's one of my top three! :cool:

I had posted elsewhere that it's my guess that the initial effort did not adequately adapt the existing artwork to the dimensions and resolution of our display. I would expect that future updates should bring the artwork in line with a better port to our display, and the crispness of the graphics should rival the PSP.

I own the PSP version on UMD, along with the DS version, but I'm optimistic that the continued future development and updates will make this the portable version to own, with our touchscreen interface, the bug fixes implemented (bugs that the PSP unfortunately doesn't have fixed), the expansion incorporated (that we don't have on the PSP or DS), and sharp graphics to rival the PSP.