iPhone [Pulled] Dead Space for iPad - (by EA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    On the flip side you don't need the IAP too play the game and I never understood why ppl would want to buy a game and then cheat in the first place :)

2. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Just completed my first run through in about 4 hours. Effin' unbelievable game, $10 well spent.

For everyone complaining about the IAP, they are just for little upgrades and extra power nodes (you'll understand when you play), you definitely do not need to spend any more than the initial $10 to play this through and enjoy it fully.

3. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #103 amroc, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Man, I'm so impressed with this. Both with how well it runs and the quality of the experience.

TBH I've been quite cynical about iOS games that present themselves as big console experiences. I don't want to start Gameloft bashing, but I have a few of their games so I feel justified to at least mention that I've found them all deeply disappointing, same with Rage. I feel they've set a rather depressing precedent.

So I was expecting Dead Space to follow suit. But no, so happy to say that it's really surprised me! Having played the console version of Dead Space, there were so many features I was assuming would be totally omitted. Like, the limb shooting mechanic, statis, weapon modes, upgrade bench, the waypoint guiding system etc. But it's all in there.

To the dev team, if you're reading this, fantastic work on going all that extra way. I'm no longer a cynic. Suddenly my iPad feels like a "big" games machine.

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    @amroc - I absolutely agree. Let's hope this sets a precedent for other game publishers/developers to invest in 'fully-featured' iOS gaming experiences.

And to those who complain about the price of titles like this, when you consider the amount of work that has clearly gone into Dead Space, I feel that the price-point is entirely justified. In fact I think it's a bargain.

5. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    So everybody seem to love the controls of the game?
    I dont! it works fine when walking and running but as soon as its time to battle those monsters it is just very annoying.
    Sometimes i cant even get my sight up so that i can shoot from a distance.
    And when i do get my weapon up it is really hard to aim.
    And if the monsters get up close (happens to often due to i cant get the weapon up) when i try to slice them with the saw my character just changes and look strait up in the air!
    Its like the game doesn't register my movements correct.

6. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    I haven't noticed any problems with aiming or melee attacks. I thought the controls worked well. I particularly like the use of touching the world for certain functions (instead of touching icons), like the gun for reload, statis gauge on back for stasis etc.

7. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I do not think the game is difficult enough to NEED to buy IAP, i.e. cheats in this case.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Just bought the game and played 10 minutes or so, and I'm already stuck...
    I'm at a locked door, and just found a Plasma Cutter, and the game tells me to shoot the control box.
    I'm guessing it's the box next to the door that has a blue glow around it...
    Now, I'm aiming at the box, and shoot at the darn thing, reload, and shoot again, and nothing happens!!!

I'm getting a bit frustrated here, I mean, I've been playing FPS games since the days of Wolfenstein and Doom, so I'm not a newbie, but I sure feels stupid, only 10 minutes into a game and already stuck.... .... :eek:

I can see from this thread, that people are much, much further into the game, and no mention of this particular problem, so there must be something obvious that I'm overlooking, so can you please help me out?

I must say, though, that the graphics and general feel of the game so far are awesome, but besides having a hard time destroying that *bleeep* box, I'm wondering why they decided to have the aiming recticle floating so severely when aiming.. I can see problems in the future hitting anything from a distance. Always assuming I can get through this friggiing door....

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

There were some boxes at the beginning that you had to tap on to expose the wires. They had a blue glow around them.

10. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Lol!
    I just figured out what I did wrong.
    This is my first FPS on an idevice, and I thought that where the aiming recticle was, that's where the shots go. I didn't realise at all that that wasn't the case...
    Next time I'll pay attention to where the actual gun is aiming, and not the recticle....
    Feeling a bit silly now... :eek:
    Thx for the suggestion though Bazooka. :)

11. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    First, on topic, I think we iPad gamers lucked out and got the slightly superior version for once! Woot!

Technically speaking, the team who made this REALLY know their stuff. For instance, the fog things, when you approach them they fade out. You don't notice it, but if you pay attention, they leave JUST before they cause the framerate to stutter (transparent polygons, even a single one the size of the screen, can slow the game to a crawl as the deferred tile rendering advantage is thrown out the window).

I have to say, I hated pixel doubling at first. But then I tried it with games like Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies and I can't really see any advantage to the HD versions (I already had the lower-res versions) other than "crisp graphics."

IMO there's rarely reason to double-dip unless the game is 3D which then makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Of particular note is Toki Tori. Awesome game, no HD version, but even more playable/etc.

12. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    True that, bro! Even the IGN review confirmed it as well:

13. omyard

omyard Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I just beat this tonight and, man, what an experience. It looks, sounds and plays wonderful. I had no problem with the controls on the iPad. Sure they're a bit clunky, but once you get use to them they're fine.

I plan to go through it one more time soon and then probably another time before I go through Dead Space 2 when it drops in price.

The only reason I could see to buy the cheats is if you don't plan to do multiple play throughs.

14. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Now starting Hard difficulty.

Tips:

I guess I was lucky enough to decide on upgrading my Rig and Stasis first. These 2 gave me enough opportunities to efficiently do melee attacks thus conserving on ammo for the brutes or later stages. Then I prioritized my Disc Ripper. The problem with melee attacks would surface in the later stages when multiple enemies could come at the same time and because the game wasn't made for speed movements, stasis + melee strategy could be too slow. The Ripper solves this problem especially with the pregnant and baby monsters. Exploding necromorphs: stasis is a must. They can't explode this way. Final boss: this is the only time when I loved the plasma cutter. Defeating the boss with precision shots made this a cake walk. So yeah, preserve your ammo, initial upgrade priorities should go to your rig, then stasis. Find those nodes. The game is too short so don't rush, relish every moment and search every inch of the rooms for goodies.

15. NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Just like Bad Company 2 for the iPhone, this is missing the option to invert the vertical axis. Makes it just about unplayable for me. :(

16. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Oh no! I was looking at picking this up today, but no invert vertical axis is a problem for me too! :( I played the PS3 version and it has an invert Y option is available... Guess I will have to play this version :mad:

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Just got it on sale ... Holy cow! Jumped wice already! Very well done!

18. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up: indeed the World version is on sale but not the US one).

19. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    Great to hear....!

Started downloading as soon as i saw a mail in this topic with the word "sale" in it....;)

20. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    So it's on sale everywhere except the US? Man EA is really all over with their pricing strategies lately. And after getting burned bad at Xmas on Sim City I'm waiting to buy anything from them.