Universal [Pulled] Darkin - (by ten foiled hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 14, 2014.

1. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Can I cancel a line by swiping outside the board? Doesn't seem to be working for me.

2. #162 ten foiled hats, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    The line drawing mechanic feeling fluid and natural was the highest priority we had for Darkin from a very early stage because if you don't enjoy the mechanic you're not going to enjoy the game. At the time we made the decision since we like to move our fingers around to get a view of the best link possible (especially on smaller devices like an iPod/iPhone) and link really quickly and still be accurate, we chose not to implement a cancel mechanic but rather let the player retrace back. Seemed to make the linking feel more intuitive and allowed for much quicker links.

We'd be curious to hear what other players think as well.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #163 JCho133, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    So how about I was playing yesterday (almost eternal on torture) and I got 3 green bags in one game :D

And in regards to above: Yeah, interfering with the fluidity was the first thing thought of when I read kioshi's message.

Plus, retracing is as quick as the initial linking, and there isn't really much of an "outside."

Although, there could be an alternate way to doing this. Perhaps a button for canceling? But the UI is already packed... Hmmm....

Perhaps making the upgrade button multipurpose? So if you tap it while a link is going it'll cancel it?

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I find the tracing mechanic to be user friendly and efficient.

Btw, just left my solid five star review on iTunes, great job! :D

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Probably one of the most fluid ones I have ever seen really.

6. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Several people have mentioned this game's large size. What exactly is the installed size? Thanks!

7. 208 mb

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Completely fine for me too I'm happy to use it as it is but I do like how it works on Fable Age is it? Where you just drag your finger up into the far right and a cancel image will appear and you let go to cancel.

Also one thing I'm unsure how hard it is to add but on Dungeon Raid one thing myself and my fiancée enjoyed most was taking it in turns competing on the leaderboards. It would be nice if possible to be able to enter a name for the high scores kept on the device and possibly have more than 1 saved file slot.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Wait, the iTunes description says there's an auto save feature. Is this bugged at the moment?

10. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Thank you, I didn't quite understand at first. What was perm what was temp, some people were wrong and mentioned perm stat upgrades, some people were wrong and also mentioned recieving items like Dungelot 2 that help just for the next round.

I got it all straightened out as I've played the game a ton today.

The link mechanic is extremely tight and in my opinion perfected :)

11. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    A low health indicator would be nice, sometimes dying catches me by surprise. One thing I'm at 50% next thing I'm dead, hehe.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hehe, but that's the best part. It's like a vampire snuck up from behind ya

13. The auto save feature is a two part feature:

1. If iOS kills your process after you leave the app in the middle of a game or if you forcibly kill the process in the middle of a game, when you start Darkin again it will present you with a "resume" button (looks just like the play button except it has two triangles instead of one) and it will resume where you left off before the process was killed. The intention is so you can minimize a game to come back to it later without the fear of losing your game to iOS process management killing it in the name of resource management.

2. Any XP you gain and unlocks you receive during game play will be persisted even if you quit the game by exiting to the main menu. The new game started will begin with that clan at the same XP as exiting with anything new that was unlocked (Clans, modes or abilities).

14. AshleyTheNeko

AshleyTheNeko Member

Jun 10, 2013
    I appreciate the apology. I guess I was mistaken about download restrictions. I'll just have to wait to enjoy it until I inevitably get a new iPod. Game looks excellent.

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Also it's awesome that this game doesn't make my phone feel like it's on fire nor burn through my batter or use my data! So many many things, haven't had a whole lot of time to play yet but up to round 300 on my current game on normal difficulty.

I'm guessing the best by now is insane?

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I haven't played normal that much, but my best on Torture is 238

Ahhh ok, I see how it works now. I used to just minimize it without killing it. Glad to see I can kill it too.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    "Addicted to Darkin: You survived 500 turns"

Nice achievement (only casual mode, damn, and i thought it was normal)
    but since i'm never in the top ten percent (!) in these kind of games, this makes me a bit proud.

This might be my hardest choice for GOTW, ever...Darkin or KeroBlaster.
    Both masterpieces in their genre...hmm

18. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Okay, finally got around to playing this for a while. It's a great game, carnival like atmosphere, a lot of stuff just gets thrown in your face without explanation - which is kinda refreshing. It is a very 'busy' game, almost exhausting to play, I will need to give it some time. The level of polish is insane, and as others have said the game mechanics are very solid and very comfortable if you have spent time in a rehab clinic from playing Dungeon Raid until you lost your job, your wife, and your cat.

Someone mentioned 'Scurvy Scallywags' a couple of pages back. Another match 3 that gobbled up hundreds of hours of time from me, it is okay to mention it here because it is very different than this game. If you haven't tried it, add it to the list.

19. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    As good as this is and I'm really enjoying it if I had to pick between the two I'd still say that scurvy scallywags is my favorite.

20. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Scurvy Scallywags was very odd, something about the graphics and sound effects was simply so intoxicating that a person just... couldn't... stop... playing. I actually encountered a glitch in the game where I had endless premium currency (no, I didn't hack it) and this *still* wasn't enough to make me bored, I just kept playing it for months on end. Gak, good thing I deleted it because one squawk from a parrot and I would be playing it for another few months. It was time to put the pipe down, ya know?