Universal [Pulled] Darkin - (by ten foiled hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 14, 2014.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I feel I must show a debt of gratitude to The Frost for pestering me to get this game. Unlike others in this thread, I liked Dungeon Raid but I wasn't a gigantic fan.

This, however, I'm finding myself enjoying way more (no offense to DG). Great and addictive game!

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #142 Ayjona, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Simply listing the games I have installed on my device, here's a few examples from a variety of different genres of games where quitting to main menu saves your progress (or in a few cases warns you that progress will be lost unless you save manually):

Anomaly 2
    Ascension
    Autumn Dynasty
    Autumnd Dynasty Warlords
    Bardbarian
    Block Fortress
    BF War
    Bloodmasques
    Bug Heroes
    Bug Heroes Quest
    Bug Heroes 2
    Carcassonne
    Descent
    Empire
    Final Fantasy 6
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Heroes & Castles
    Indigo Lake
    Lone Wolf
    Lords of Waterdeep
    King of Dragon Pass
    KOTOR
    Monster Adventures
    Nightfall
    Pacific Skies
    Puzzle Quest 2
    Starbase Orion
    Ravenmark
    Ravenmark Mercenaries
    Rebuild
    Scurvy Scallywags
    Skulls of the Shogun
    Spiral
    Summoner Wars
    The World Ends With You
    Warhammer Quest
    XCOM

Games where returning to the main menu instead wipes all progress without warning:

Wayward Souls

Incidentally, Dungeon Raid works just like my suggestions. Returning to the main menu adds a "Continue" choice to the main screen. This is perhaps the most telling example, as Darkin and Dungeon Raid belong to the exact same genre (indeed, they define it).

While this is definitively not an exhaustive scientific study, nor a reliable sample selection, it does cast some doubt over "There is no other way around it" sentiments ;)

(And here's another perspective: why not add this feature regardless? It is easy to implement in any game that already saves progress under some conditions, and it ensures that no one will loose progress by mistake :) )

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I can definitely can see your point after reading that list. I think all of them have a story mode and some sort of progress in common, while Darkin is endless and only saves the the unlocks to make you more powerful for your next run. Also, why did you want to go to the menu in the first place? To check stats? There aren't any... to change class? That means that you will be quitting the current game, there isn't much to do there besides starting a new game. Please don't take it the wrong way its just the way I think it works.

4. Sadly this is correct =(. We would have loved to have restricted installations on the iPod 4 but there simply is no option to do so. What we could have done is restrict all iPods, which we didn't want to do. We're 100% with you AshleyTheNeko, this is not a problem that any user or dev should ever have to deal with. We sincerely apologize for this :(

We'd be ecstatic to find some form of solution for this, so if anyone knows something on this topic that we don't, please chime in or PM us with a solution!

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #145 Ayjona, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Far from all of them. Most importantly, the original Dungeon Raid is on the list, and it works exactly like Darkin :)

But yeah, this is by no means an important issue (I'm arguing for fun at this point :) ), and I see your points as well :)

(Though Inwill say that in my own work as a dev, I do think about such stuff, and believe attention to minuscule detail can indeed make at least minor differences.)

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ooo Templar sounds good, I have to say so far I haven't noticed the damage double with the number shown when I attack from above. Or does it just double on the attack? Or was I too tired to notice it double : (

As for the saves logically you would pause and close to home thinking it saves that way but just shutting down the app is better and I'm happy to have that. Just would be nice for a heads up or something somewhere as I suppose many will do as I did and lose their game where they are doing well.

7. We will at least be adding in a warning upon clicking the exit to main menu button and will also be testing the option of simply having it save on exit as well. From what we can tell, there is no harm in having it that way =D.

Thank you everyone for your feedback on this! If there are any other ideas for this, please let us know =D.

8. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    This or devil shard?

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    My personal opinion - this. Devil Shard is good but this is great.

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Here's one that is out there, but could be neat. Different color skin themes. I'm not sure how much work that would take, but I'm thinking like a Turquoise, a Slime Green, and then, in time for Halloween, an Orange and Black get up.

Not that I don't love how it looks, because I definitely do. Keep up the good work!

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm glad you didn't do that. I own and ipod and don't want to be deprived of this game :)

Btw, is it possible to try again to compress this game into a smaller file size? I feel like its definitely possible but since I'm not an app maker, I wouldn't know. I just judge based on all the other 300-400 apps I've played and their general sizes.

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Seconded.

13. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I totally agree.

But i have to admit, that darkin is a great substitute.

14. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    So I understand different clans have different abilities but before you play a match when you goose a clan. Do you get to only choose one ability? Or do the abilities you unlock mean your able to obtain them when you collect enough moons in the game. Noob question lol

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I enjoyed DR but the next two best of all in this genre, Scurvy Scallywags and WarGames:WOPR were, i'd say easier and not so deep and therefor more up to my prefered alley of games.

Well, this games blows all of them out of this universe (lol only imho).
    The theme, this incredible smooth gameplay and the music, specially when it gets dramatic...chickenskin everytime. Wonderful soundtrack !

This thread goes pretty fast and reading through the whole didn't solve my problem. Looks like i'm the only one who doesn't understand "purchase upgrades: Hearts + Regen". What do they do, and please, i'm not english native.

16. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Upgrading Hearts gives you more HP every time you pick up hearts on the playing field

Upgrading Regen gives you auto hearts every turn. So, if I have Regen at 5, I get five hearts added to my HP regardless of what I match.

Hope that answers the question!

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Loving the game so far!!

18. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Superthanks Jerutix !
    It seems i managed to look in the wrong section of the screen everytime while playing slowly just to see what's going on, lol.

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I have to admit: I have never played Dungeon Raid!

Darkin is frickin great. I am loving this game. I'm a high-score junkie at heart and this game serves up gameplay that scratches that itch pleasurably. Great job devs :D

20. First of all, each clan has a defining trait that is with you from the beginning (e.g. Reapers - Better starting stats, Assassins - 2x when attacking from above/behind, Night's Templar - Linking 4+ tiles in a straight line gives 2x). Each time you play a clan though you get additional experience (XP) which the XP box in the upper right hand corner signifies as it counts down to the next time you level up.

Each level will unlock a new ability. Some will be passive abilities (think of an ability that is enabled all the time like double coins in your coin loot bags or has a chance of enabling/has a trigger like dodging) and some will be instant use abilities (think the abilities that you are presented with when you collect 20 moons, some of which are clan specific) that you can store and use in your bar at the bottom of the screen.

Once you unlock an ability it is available to you whenever you play that clan. The abilities unlocked are displayed underneath the clan in the clan selection screen to show the player which abilities they have unlocked and what the particular abilities does.

This was a bit on the lengthy side, but I hope this answers you question.