Universal [Pulled] Darkin - (by ten foiled hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 14, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #61 L.Lawliet, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Ultra Mini Review:

My final verdict is that this game IS better than Dungeon Raid but far from definitive.

I was actually hoping to delete Dungeon Raid after getting this but ultimately I cannot. This game overall is better if I had to choose one but it's lacking some of the best mechanics from its inspiration.

In Dungeon Raid you have character customization (pre-game character tweaks), character building (in-game ability sets), equipment (randomized equipment you find in-game while leveling up), and overall upgrades/progression (upgrading in-game is the best part; getting new weapons + making them more powerful or making your abilities more powerful).

The last bits are what I wish this game had the most. Getting abilities and equipment and upgrading them. Because of that, this game lacks the true feeling of in-game progression as in Dungeon Raid you feel your character progressively growing while in this game despite stat increases, you character always feels 1 dimensional. Because you can't keep abilities, you can't upgrade them like making them stronger or decreasing cool down.

Each game has its own charm but don't let this dissuade you from getting this game as this match 3 formula is the best of its kind and is oddly completely under-used. Darkin also adds new things that Dungeon Raid fans will love like different modes. Cool music and way better progression system are just a couple things Darkin does better. If I had to pick one game to buy, it would be Darkin but it's not perfect spiritual sequel that you might be expecting.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    These 1 use items are all earned entirely in the current game, right? This isn't one of those grind for several games to save up enough credits to buy a single use power-up is it (as it was in Dungelot)?

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    No, not at all. You do what you do for that game alone -you can only carry 4 items at the same time and when its game over you loose them- as long as you can play it. Next time, you start from zero, and the only thing the game saves are the drops made by bosses containing new abilities, power-ups, modes or characters... at as small chance of dropping. Its perfectly balanced too. You will love Darkin.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No no not at all you get them through playing your game and use them while playing the same game, you usually get an option to pick which skill you want and I think you can have 4 saved up on your bar at the bottom to use whenever you want. Seems generous so far, I was getting skills that I didn't even have space for as I hadn't used them.

Edit : as for the review at the top don't forget Dungeon Raid didn't come with many of it's features had the game from the start and most of what's on it came through updates.

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    2 1/2 hours and this baby is mine :)

6. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Correct. They're random drops (appearing on the selection screen) and you can't keep them after the game. It's hard to compare those two (and I admit Darkin/DR is a lot more fun to pick up and play). Dungelot s sort of a mini-RPG experience mixed with some other elements. This is a closer to a match 3 game with enemies inside the match 3. You gain new abilities the more you level up that stay with you, but that's about it that's permanent. Everything else is a random find in the game.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice. I dislike games that encourage grinding in multiple runs to achieve some ONE TIME thing. Grinding for some permanent unlock is alright, but having all of the power-up purchasing entirely contained to one's current run is by far the best.

8. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I totally agree. I don't like my games hinging on the amount of a special items I own that I had to grind for - that will ultimately disappear. In most instances with grinding for single use items is they lead to IAP, Darkin/DR have absolutely none. I think based on what you said you'll like this game.

If you're on the fence, try Dungeon Raid (free). If you've already played or own it, you should know what to expect :)

9. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I really am not digging the vampire cartoon theme at all. I have Dungelot, Faif, Tower of Fortune 2 and Devil Shard on my phone right now. What other definitive match-3 would anyone recommend besides those?

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I agree I wasn't sure about the graphics from the video I first seen but they are very crisp and very good so I'm happy with them.

As everyone else has mentioned the only other worth talking about is Dungeon Raid but it has no wide screen support, I believe Horde of Heroes was quite good too.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This. And 10000000. And this.

Oh, did I mention this? Because this is really good.

Do you have this yet? Or are you just lookin at the screens

But yeah i think this (Darkin), 10000000, and Devil Shard are probably the best match 3s on iOS right now.

12. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I have to wait until tomorrow for the US store, but maybe I'll try it. 10000000 pissed me off and I deleted it because I couldn't figure out why you could only slide certain rows or columns and others wouldn't let me match. Plus, god that icon....

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #73 ste86uk, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Damn how do I save a game? I closed it down before opened it back up hoping to carry on and it's starting me over again from fresh : ( I thought the game saved?

I tried to save by pressing pause and home but clearly that didn't work.

14. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    This and devil shard on the same screen of my iphone = BOOM. Match 3 heaven baby! Another hour and I shall be shmexin it up. Can't wait!

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Pixel Defenders Puzzle is criminally overlooked; look into PDP.

16. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Everyone seem to be playing Darkin but why can't I find find it in the HK AppStore ? Should be available already, cos I already bought/downloaded Dream Quest, Joyjoy, I Dig It, Demon VS Fairyland... all the rest of the games listed here are to be found too, a part from Alone in the Dark which has been pulled. Please someone knows why? This is like one of my most wanted games coming out this week

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    8:02 p.m. and downloaded!

18. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Same here... Got Joyjoy, Darkin doesn't appear. I'm using the Uruguay App Store.

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I think Horde of Heroes may be #1 or #2 on my list of match 3 games. Possible #2 just because there's a bunch of annoying gathering puzzles that aren't fun at all.

20. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    I wish I could play this all night but sadly I need to hit the rack. Work in the AM. This games unbelievable good. Just what I've been waiting for. The link mechanic is extremely fluid and responsive. The music is quirky and perfect. I love the whole perm stat upgrades and clans / abilities. The temp abilities are pretty darn neat as well. I was dissapointed when I heard no equipment, would be pretty cool to pick up vampire equipment for stats. Like after very boss, a cape or a hat ect. But all in all, darn amazing game. Will have fun with it tomorrow, night toucharcade !