Universal [Pulled] Darkin - (by ten foiled hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 14, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, it is a little weird. We'll probably see a review randomly pop up a few months from now

2. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I was especially surprised there was no review after Eli spent an hour in the coming tonight Twitch stream playing it. Everyone kept asking him to move on, and he was like, "Just one more round. It'll be quick."

I took a break for a while from playing, but picked it up again (figuratively, I mean, it's been there in my games folder) two days ago. Such a good game.

3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I just downloaded Chip Chain and now that's on my addictive rotation. thanks vector for the mention, it's also a great game.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Awesome, glad you like it. While on the subject of good match games, check out Hipsta Chez. An oldie but goodie.

I had never gotten around to downloading Dungeon Raid and the consensus was that now that Darkin is out, there's no point...too bad that dev didn't feel the need to updat and optimize his pioneering game in the genre.

5. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I don't really see a consensus at all. I have them side by side and usually pick DR most of the time... I enjoy sense of tension with the clanging armor and pulsing heartbeat as it gets tough. I don't really get that feeling from Darkin.

But maybe they will address this one day - DR had many upgrades that really polished the game.

6. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Yes I am loving this game too. I go back and forth between it and Dungeon Raid now! Back and forth, back and forth ...

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    So you still rexommend DR?
    When this forum started I asked which I should try, I guess I was referring to the outdated Open Feint and lack of long screen support? If it still holds up I would like to give it a try too....but people told me not to bother, that Darkin is definitive.

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't say definitive. But if you haven't played DR, you might as well ignore it and just go with Darkin to get all the latest polish (universal, iPhone 5 screen, Game Center, etc.) That's not to say you wouldn't love or even prefer DR, but if you don't know the difference... ignorance is bliss.

I, for one, actually prefer Darkin to DR. A big part of that may be that I hate things that are out of date. But, I think the gameplay is really solid and enjoyable.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you guys are waiting for a review, just download it. If you liked Dungeon Raid you'll like this. You don't need to keep waiting. It's a safe $3 to spend.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    100% agree. I couldn't recommend this game more. It's the best puzzle RPG I ever played. What worries me is this game is so good but not many people know about it. I could easily lose 3 hours playing it if I don't check the clock. Lol. Did this game even chart in the US for top overall paid? If it didn't it's very depressing.

11. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Thanks Eli, I was waiting on this then forgot about it!!!

Thanks to the forum for getting this back on the hot games list as I have now just downloaded a game that had slipped past me!!!!

12. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Totally agree with this. I used to think Scurvy Scallywags was about as good as it could get for a match 3 type of game. Then this came along and showed what a puzzle RPG could really be. One of the few games that I have on both my iPad and my iPhone. It's that good.

13. first2choose99

first2choose99 New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    +1 greate game!! :)

14. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I hate to burst the joy bubble, but I just bought this after it stormed up the charts and I must say I'm not much impressed.

It feels pretty generic and I'm not compelled to keep playing. Does it get better? Why/how?!

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    You get more upgrades and stuff but the general gameplay doesn't change.

May I ask what other tile matching games you have played since you are calling this one generic?

16. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I think most people here have it. I think they just wanted to see the game get more coverage to reach a larger audience.

17. wigzisonfire

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    10000000, puzzle craft, puzzle quest 2, dungeon raid, pawn'd to name but a few.

This struck me as a well polished but unoriginal take on dungeon raid. Hence why I have not been complelled to keep playing.

I didn't particularly like puzzle craft as it was too Grindy but at least they put an interesting spin into the gameplay with the city building. 10000000 was the best so called match rpg hybrid. Game was addictive as hell.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I am very happy that this game finally got a really well written review. Congrats on 4.5 stars!!!
    Since,you are getting some more exposure do you have any info on an update? There are two things that I REALLY want to see in this game. Something that tells me how much damage that I am going to take in the next turn and when I am going to die in the next turn or if I am running really low on health it would be great to show that I am almost dead by having some sort of effect that shows the screen flashing red with a heavy heart beat thumping or something. I really think it would be a fantastic touch to the game and I have died so many times because I didn't realize that I was so low on health. What does everyone else think about these two ideas? For me they are a must have.

19. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    #279 vectorarchitekt, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    I would give anything for the Dungeon Raid dev to update his game. I can't imagine for the life of me why he wouldn't...but Darkin takes the crown now.

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Fantastic review! Definitely a well deserved 4.5 stars ;)