Universal [Pulled] Darkin - (by ten foiled hats)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 14, 2014.

1. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    We'll done devs for making a great game and being responsive in the forums. A couple of early thoughts.

At the moment Darkin doesn't quite have the Must... Play.. One... More.. Time... quality that I was hoping for, for me at least.

I'm playing on Torture cos I found Normal a bit slow.

DR had a audio heartbeat mechanism when health was low, which really helped drive up the tension. Obviously you can't use heartbeat with your theme! But danger cues need to be stronger; I keep dying with health in hand.

The four-in-a-row mechanism for Templar appears almost useless at the moment; this game appears to match DR in that minimising number of turns is critical, so generally speaking picking up really long runs is better. But adding a 2x into that mix might change that.

There is something a bit clunky about the backtracking mechanism -- I'm not sure exactly what.

More when I've played more.

2. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    This may not be a kind of glitch, but Templar's ability works a bit weirdly. Though every tile's effect is doubled when 4 or more tiles are linked in a straight line, it gets to be inactive when linked to additional tiles together.
    Don't you think the bonus should be kept if once made a straight line?

3. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about the game. On one hand I want to give kudos to the devs for taking the time to produce a game that finally rivals DR in terms of detail and execution and of course the better GFX and polish.
    On the other hand just matching or maybe slightly bettering a four year old release seems a little... hollow to me. Maybe I'm being unfair.

And as others have noted I'm surprised the beta testing didn't reveal the big loss of game tension as the game will simply end in a very non-dramatic fashion

You're happily playing along - yet another boss appears... looking much like the others but you don't realize how much more powerful he is. Then boom... a couple of turns later its over.

If there was some ominous screen flashing or a musical tone warning you of your potential destruction you'd get that "sweaty palms" feeling that would inspire you try to salvage the situation. That kind of tension and drama is what makes people want to come back and play it again.

Right now it's kinda like... hmmm - it's over?

Still an awesome game but I think if this one bit of polish was added it would greatly improve the entire experience.

4. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Maybe a stupid question, but is there something like a story or do I just play against a (my) score?
    Thanks! :)

5. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Looking for GC leaderboards are ye? I think I'd find my results too humbling
    ;-)

6. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Good game. However, in essence, it's Dungeon Raid with better graphics but less depth. I personally would rather have depth (weapons, equipment and abilities that can be upgraded) over graphics as this brings the character you are playing 'alive'.

In the video demo between Touch Arcade and the Developer, the Developer said he wanted to ensure it was accessible to everyone and that your granny could pick up and play. They have successfully done that, albeit by watering down the RPG elements. I would rather have an in depth RPG experience that my 'gran' can't play - like Dungeon Raid.

I would recommend Dungeon Raid over this.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The devs are hoping to add more stuff if the game sells well. Not sure what it'll entail exactly, but they said they have ideas.

Remember, Dungeon Raid wasn't all it is now when it was first released.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I agree with Hard Squirrel. This is an excellent game which is quite well put together, but it is entirely derivative of Dungeon Raid and seems to lack some of the spark of the original for me. Some of the pre-release hype posted in this thread seems over the top.

Regardless, I would strongly recommend this game.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    As I stated before, never played Dungeon Raid.

So...as someone "fresh on the scene" I think this game certainly has that "just once more" appeal, I love all the power-ups/special abilities, and the different game modes are awesome. Also, I should add the GC integration is excellent. For three bucks I'm extremely pleased.

Richard

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I particularly miss the character customization that came from combining class, race, and tweaking the list of abilities that show up in game. Selecting clan and a starting ability is not even close in terms of player control and strategic depth. But...

...much like you, I'd recommend this to almost anyone who likes puzzle RPGs. If you belong to that (surprisingly huge crowd), the only reason not to play Darkin would be if you haven't already exhausted Dungeon Raid.

But Dungeon Raid first, regardless.

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Hey! Why are none of you guys playing the torture difficulty? Well on my friends list I only see me and 1 other person. Looks like most are playing on normal. I like the torture difficulty because on a 15 min break it seems just about right :)

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    #24 over all! Torture feels perfect, casual and normal take to long now.

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Exactly how I feel.

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I just enjoy getting punished.

15. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    TMI lol!

16. Thank you everyone for all of the feedback we've been getting on here, through PMs and via email. We are listening to it all and have been thinking about what we can do to try and please everyone without upsetting the ones who are enjoying Darkin as it currently is.

We've been working non-stop on implementing as much as we can since the game was released yesterday and will be submitting version 1.01 to Apple within the next 24 hours. It won't have everything just yet, but, rest assured, over the coming weeks we'll be working on all of the topics addressed thus far. We are only a 2 man team working on a $0 budget, so we would like to ask that you all be ever so slightly patient with us =).

The overwhelming amount of positive comments that we've received through every method possible has blown us away. We could have never expected this kind of reception and we're so very grateful to everyone that has supported us. Darkin has a lot left to give, this was only the beginning ;)

Keep the feedback and comments coming and we'll keep trying to keep up with them through updates!

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm glad the game is doing great and getting such a good response and I do hope everyone remembers Dungeon Raid didn't have most of its features at release or for quite a while after that.

If that game gets as much love through updates as Dungeon Raid it could become one of my top iOS games not just match 3 iOS games.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Same here (I think I'm that 1 other person :D ) it's certainly my favorite way to play. I love all the attention to detail and little surprises that the devs have included. Darkin is officially my #1 played game, atm

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This ^^^^^^^ makes me feel all warm and cozy as an early adopter and I can't wait to see what the future holds not just with Darkin but with other Ten Foiled Hat projects. Loyal supporter here ;)

20. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Lol you might be!