iPad PSP Vs iPhone (an IGN article)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matt, Dec 20, 2008.

1. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    Over at IGN there is a great 6 page article detailing the differences between the two mobile devices. You can head here to read it but here is my favorite line from the article,

Just awesome.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    iphone all the way :)

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #3 Kamazar, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    It's hardly a fair fight.

The PSP is 4 years old. The iPhone 3G is only three months old (correct me if I'm wrong). The PSP is not gonna have certain capabilities that the iPhone has, but it has had plenty of time for developers to come out with great games. Plus, it has hardware controls.

The iPhone 3G is ridiculously younger as is the AppStore. The PSP was made FOR GAMING. The iPhone was made as an all around device that just happens to include gaming.

The PSP and iPhone are two waaay different devices. I'm sick of hearing these arguments. It's unrealistic that the iPhone's gonna take over the handheld gaming industry in just a few months. Companies aren't even taking the platform seriously yet.

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I own a PSP and while its a great handheld, there is only one decent game released every couple of months! :mad:

5. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Agreed!
    and the app stores been around for about 6 months ;)

6. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    still, the psp has more impressive games.

7. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    This debate can be a can of worms...

I have a DS, a PSP, and an iPhone. The PSP has been my favorite gadget for a long time.

However I feel that the model currently offered by the iPhone (convergence + digital distribution) is the way of the future. I think as smartphones become more popular and offer such a variety of games (from racing to puzzlers to action to RTS), the public in general will not feel the need to drop another $150 just to play ($40) games.

8. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I think these sorts of comparisons are silly. It's like writing an article comparing a mansion with a condo. They are different things for different people. I myself am a simple 'gamer' and I like word games, puzzle games and stuff like that. I am not interested in a game that makes me feel like I am at a movie. I like the little $1-2 games like Firewords or Gamebox Classics. So for me an iPod Touch is more than fine. I just sold my Nintendo DS, actually, and I got more than what I paid for the iPod for it. But it you want the hardcore games, that is a completely different audience and for them a dedicated device might be better. It's just a different sort of 'gamer.' Me, I like having one device that does it all, and my 'gaming' needs are more than met by what the App store seems to be offering.

9. damballah

damballah Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I can argue tech specs, and all the different features all day long, but I can tell you this: I game more on the iPhone than on my DS and PSP combined. It really boils down to convenience, and the iPhone has it all over those two in that area.

10. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Same for me.

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Yes. I just wish we could have more than 9 home screens. I'm going to end up with too many games and apps for just the 9. 148 apps sounds like a lot, but its not.

12. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    i think sub folder apps would be better like those layouts on jailbroken apps.

more than 9 pages would be EXTREMELY painful to scroll IMHO

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

hmm. I don't see the point in comparing the new kid in town with mature devices which have been around for years. But what I find interesting is the speed in which the apple platform increases in versality and quality. The iPhone or iPod touch is around for 1.5 years, started as a media player and evolved into a subsubcomputer just half a year ago. And now we have thousands of apps, are already on the 2nd gen of games and this is only the beginning. What Sony and nintendo should be frightened of: you don't buy the iPhone for serious gaming. You buy it to phone, play movies and music and go to the Internet. And they sell millions of these devices just for that feature set. Then they see the games and ask themselves "why should I buy a ds or psp?" that's what they should worry about. And of course is the iPod touch much cheaper than the ds if you calculate the game prices to the device price.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I too play mainly on my iPod touch.

I really don't get the whole "PSP is a dedicated game platform, of course it's better than iPod touch/iPhone for games" thing.

PCs aren't dedicated game platforms, and while there are those who argue the merits of console gaming vs. PC gaming, the fact is that PCs are a viable platform for games. The iDevices, in that sense, are really no different, especially considering that they are, in many respects, Apple's main reason for not releasing a netbook as of yet (I'd like a Mac netbook, but, hell, the iDevices do much of the things netbooks do).

And then there are those who still think that PSP is more powerful than the iPod touch/iPhone. I mean...seriously...what part of better CPU, better GPU, and more RAM isn't understood? I'm not talking MHz to MHz comparisons here. Measure DMIPS, and the ARM 11 outclasses the MIPS R32K based CPU in PSP, and as for GPU...Sony is still full of BS, just as they were with PS2 (75 million pps my aching eye). 30+ million pps for PSP is pie in the sky, untextured, unlit, not in game polys. Add in the fact that the PowerVR MBX-lite does stuff in hardware that PSP's GPU can't, including tile based deferred rendering, and iPhone/iPod touch is more powerful. We haven't seen it yet? Of course not. The SDK hasn't even been released for a full year, and we've yet to have some more capable dev studios on board.

And there's a reason Nintendo is making DSi, and a reason Sony is going download happy for PSP, as well as possibly using a PowerVR SGX GPU for the PSP2. Both companies are more forward looking than most gamers seem to be. They have to be. It's a business. They see Apple as a viable threat, because it is capable of being one. Maybe not now, but if they don't nip it in the bud, it could be what MS is in the home market. Sony in particular cannot afford that.

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Oliver, I think they fear the touch more than the phone. The phone is clearly in another market segment, but the touch is within the price range of both, and from what I've read, Apple can afford to lower the price to sub PSP MSRP levels and still pull in profit from hardware. If Apple really gets serious about touch as a gaming platform, all bets are off. I gather Sony is more worried about that than Nintendo. Nintendo has their market, and it is seemingly airtight. In many respects, Nintendo and Apple are very much alike. Rabid core fanbase, and an expansion into the "casual" market with "casual friendly" devices. But Sony has seen their userbase ebb this gen in the home console sector, and they cannot afford to see that happen in the portable sector, as PSP is just starting to really take off in terms of sales. iPod touch may be to PSP what XBox 360 is to PS3.

16. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    If Apple wants to have a chance, they would have to build a strong library of good games. Right now there are a few games that are good, like Rolando. More quality games have to be put out in order for the iPhone to become a viable gaming platform.

The games may be cheaper but most of the games on the appstore don't offer any value and aren't as engaging as the full fledged PSP or DS games. I think the iPhone is a great device, and I hope more and more big titles will hit the appstore (Where is Puzzle Quest?!) The news of Metal gear coming to iPhone is also really awesome.

It's a good thing that the big publisher like EA and Namco are making games for the platform, but it's way too early to talk about the iPhone taking over the PSP.

17. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    there are some realy good points on this i think people are picking up on,
    your more likely to play games on your ipod more than your ds or psp you dont take them everywhere,

the app store hasnt been around long and we're allready having some big hits, bioshock is coming, and rolando is a hit :D i think iphone gaming has a bigger future :rolleyes:

18. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    This is EXACTLY right.

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Sega seems awfully quiet. You'd figure after the success of Super Monkey Ball on iTouch/iPhone, a game that was basically a glorified demo developed very quickly (iirc, less than a month), they'd be on board with more games. Especially since they're probably more familiar with the GPU hardware than anyone else. PowerVR GPUs were used in their Dreamcast console, along with the NAOMI (which Dreamcast was based on) and NAOMI 2 arcade hardware. Hell, their Aurora arcade board has the full-fledged PowerVR MBX as the GPU. You'd figure we'd see more Sega games on this thing.

House of the Dead. Panzer Dragoon. Jet Set Radio. REZ. Sega Rally. Sonic. Anything.

WTF Sega?

20. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Wait for a year ---I think this little gadget will get some blockbuster games ---just takes time to code and time for publishers to realize the amount of money they can make without spending money on distibution and storing their games on media( no cost for burning disks and such)

I think the ipod touch will out sell the PSP, mabey not the DS. It can do so much and it fits in your pocket ---very multipurpose.

I have not touched my DS or PSP since i got this little thing....plus they are not getting any good games ----atleast for the last 6 months ---and the ipod gets them daily at the appstore

Just cant wait for PUZZLE QUEST ---- I think it dead in the water...damn D3 publishers.