iPad PSP games cost more than $9.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by blakespot, Dec 20, 2008.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
  2. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    o really?

I thought they were like 5$

(end sarcasm)

By some of the posts I have read I think some people really don't know this though.

3. Wulfsige

Wulfsige Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Not only do that cost MORE then 9.99, you have to carry them with you if you have more then one that you want to play. Plus ipod touch games are constantly updating and new content all the time :O.

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #4 salsamd, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

but to be fair to the people on the other side

at least the PSP games are finished, i've bought some $10 games for the iphone that are buggy, not entirely finished, and show no sign of improvement

6. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    The thing about PSP are the controls, very easy. I would like to sick a analog stick on the ipod touch or something like that, not that big.

7. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    PSPs have buttons (6 of them), a directional pad and an analog nub. Sony also charges a larger licensing fee to publish games on their system and for the most part (roughly 99.5%) of the titles titles on the PSP offer way more professional and playable experience.

Admin or not, I fail to see the point of this post. It comes off as snotty and the argument is getting old FAST.

Happy Holidays to one and all.

8. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    PSP actually show a better graphic,better game storage capabilities (UMD),real hardware control and REAL game (look at GTA or burnout or tekken 5),that I"something" will never reach.
    Iphone/touch are paragonable to a DS about the game potential,with an improved graphic,sure.

9. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well the games from big developers are always finished. It's games from indie devs that suck.

10. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    you have to be living under the rock to not be aware of this

11. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    How exactly is UMD better than the digital distribution model adopted by the AppStore? The UMD has been an embarrasing failure from day one.

(PSP owner here)

12. BadSanta

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    The point isn't the distribution model but the storage capabilities of the support.

13. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    WoW! I just found out that PS3 games cost more also!

Man, I better start buying more of these bargain games for my iPod

14. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    #14 IzzyNobre, Dec 20, 2008
    Why is that so much better, I must ask?

To give you an example - LocoRoco is a 500mb+ UMD. Rolando, an equivalent game with the same amount of polish, art, music and etc, is less than 30mb. I find more merit in squeezing a lot of content in a small package.

More storage space doesn't infer much in the quality of the console. Look at the PS3; bluray discs can store about 6 times the amount of data dual layer DVDs (Xbox 360). That doesn't make it better.

So what I'm trying to say is, saying the PSP is superior to the iPhone/iPod touch because its UMDs pack more data is like saying the PS3 is superior to the 360 because bluray pack more data. We both know that's not really true.

Just a thought ;)

There are many things that make the iPod touch/iPhone a better console/end-all-be-all gadget than the PSP. For instance, they are a VIABLE mp3 player (ever tried using the PSP as an MP3 player? I tried, for about 5 minutes). They have a better browser. They allow you to buy games withing the actual device, without the need to even step outside. They are lighter, fit better in your pocket. And in the case of the iPhone, it has a built-in camera, GPS, and 3G connectivity which allows you to carry the internet in your pocket.

The PSP doesn't have much to offer in that sense.

By the way, I own both a PSP and a DS lite.

15. BadSanta

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    #15 BadSanta, Dec 20, 2008
    You are talking about a "DS like" game.
    Your consideration are true.
    The games that I have listed are very different from the LocoRolando gayness (yes I've purchased both LOL).
    It's impossibile to squeeze a "REAL" game into a small package.
    You'll have to cut something,usually the graphic and the content.
    However there are other reasons that make the comparison absurd.

Please I was speaking of gaming, it is obvious that there is a reason if I sold the psp long ago and I bought an ipod touch.

16. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I'm having some trouble understanding your post, but I assume English isn't your first language so I'll cut you some slack :p

What comparison is absurd, exactly? Comparing UMD to digital distribution? Comparing the PS3 to the Xbox 360?

And define a "real" game. Why do you think it's impossible to have "real" games on the iPhone?

There are many "real" games in the AppStore. Rolando, Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta, Orions, Warfare Inc. They go way beyond the scope of the traditional cellphone puzzle and they offer a lot of content, production and replay value.

Remember, the iPhone/iPod touch have only existed as consoles for as far as the AppStore has been running, which is just a little over 6 months. I dare you to show me a console with killer apps in under six months.

It's a growing world right now. I believe the devs are testing the waters before fully investing in the iPhone as a viable gaming alternative to the PSP or the DS.

Well, to make a well rounded decision one must weigh in all the aspects, right? There's a lot offered by the iPhone/iPod touch that we can't ignore. And they'll affect any buyer's final choice, too.

17. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
  18. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Really interesting read, bootant. And I agree - I believe the iPhone and the iPod touch will soon prove themselves to be a thorn on Nintendo's/Sony's side. Think of the absurd amount of people who own iPods/iPhones. That's a huge market to capitalize on.

If I were a betting man, I'd say there's far more touches/iPhones out there than PSPs.

19. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I think you're probably right. iPhones are way cooler than PSPs anyway ;)

20. BadSanta

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    #20 BadSanta, Dec 20, 2008
    Sure my english suck,sorry :)
    The comparison between PSP and Iphone/touch (gaming).
    Orions,Warfare are real game,but seem like 10 years old games.
    BIA and HoS are real game,but... not the best of their kind,they are the best on ipod.
    Look at GOW on PSP,can you really compare it with HoS?

This has nothing to do with the thread we are talking about the difference in price of games for psp/ipod.