Psp..2go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Justinth, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    How do the graphic specs compare with the PSP and PSP Go? Are they the same? Is the PSP better with graphics? PSPGO has better?

2. Justinth

Jul 29, 2009
  3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I hear the graphics are supposed to be in between PS2 and PS3 graphics with a sharp resolution too. It's gonna be great.

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #5 spiffyone, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    *sighs

the Go is not a new PSP. It's the same PSP, but redesigned. Well, there are changes, obviously. The internal storage for one. Most critical as far as power is concerned is that, apparently, the Go has a slightly faster clocked CPU...but, again, it's the exact same CPU as the 1000-3000 versions of PSP clockspeed aside and it has the exact same GPU. So the graphics will be the same.

It's just a refresh. A slight update model. A revision. Think 1st "gen" iPod touch to 2nd "gen" iPod touch. That was just a revision of a prior unit, the only big change as far as internal components being the slightly faster clockspeed.

You'll notice the quotation marks around "gen". That's on purpose: for gamers, "core" gamers, we wouldn't even call them different gens, but minor revisions. iPhone and iPhone 3G isn't a new gen to gamers, but a revision. The hardware isn't vastly different, but a minor revision. The step up to 3Gs, however, is a true new gen. Big difference in hardware. But gamer usage of that term is different than Apple's usage I guess.

And, yes, I know that some developers tweak some games for 2nd "gen" touch devices, and those devices run things a bit faster. But the point stands: the CPU, GPU, etc. is basically the exact same aside from a slightly faster clockspeed and it has the exact same amount of RAM. 3Gs, on the other hand, has an entirely different and vastly superior CPU and GPU and 2x the RAM. PSP, being in the portable game system market...well...devs who are traditionally in that market mimic what they do in the home console market: they ain't gonna tweak anything differently. They'll go lowest common denominator. And the fact is, the CPU and GPU are the same in Go as PSP1000-3000.

5. Justinth

Jul 29, 2009
    I consider it diferent because I heard it doesnt use UMD.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    It is quite different but not in power, the go has internal memory just like an ipod or phone, it's a different shape and has a slightly bigger screen but the resolution is the same, the performance is more or less the same and it plays the same games, but can not read umd's as it has no drive so you will have to download them, either from the ps3 and then connect it to the go, or straight from the internet to the go.

sony are also making an "app" marketplace but you have to still buy an sdk from them, it's no where near as open as the idevices are for indie development.

7. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #8 inferi22, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    I like playstion version of updating the gameboy advance to the gameboy advance sp for the upgrade in shape and size for the technical features I would compare it to the upgrade between 2 generations mostly non changing generation of iPod like the inclusion of crappy game capabilities on a nano 2 generations later. Oh and the screen is actually smaller than the current psp and the psp AppStore is only a rumor at this point so saying it is not nearly as open is compltely coming from your own bias as there is absolutely no information about it even paying for the sdk

8. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #9 Yagami_Light, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Its the same thing with removed features and a higher price.

PSP 1000 (initial release)- Awesome system

PSP 2000 (slim and lite)- No IR, removed metal chassis supporting the frame (making it really fragile. The whole thing is basically plastic now.), worse packed in battery (though the model is better on batteries, Sony just gives you a worse battery with it, so battery life is the same. If you use a 1000 battery, it lasts longer, but it is huge, and sticks out). Sony has confirmed that the battery that comes with the PSP 2000 has 1/3 of the life of the 1000's.

PSP 3000 - Worse screen, no modding, exterior looks terrible compared to older models

PSP 4000 (PSP GO) - No UMD drive, awkward shape, smaller screen

PSP 5000 (Imaginary next model) - No screen, can not play games

There is already a Playstation Store for the PSP, where you buy games and stuff.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    PSP 6000 (latest technology in 2014) - box of toe nail clippings

10. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i was talking about an "app" store which would refer that there would also be apps which is currently a rumor for the psp go currently

11. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I have lately been thinking about getting a PSP, because there are a couple games I think I would really like. But I still don't know what model I would aim for getting, since I heard they keep getting worse. Any advice on which one to get?