Universal Prune (by Joel Mcdonald)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Well how's this for tall. Level 2-5 I made a tree so tall I reached the limit of how tall it can go! Right past the stars into space and I couldnt chop the top because it went off the screen. :D

Attached Files:

2. Lol! Now I want to try that. :)

3. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    What fun! I'm off to try it right now!

Now there's an idea for a player challenge: "I did this, can you?" That would be fun.

4. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Now that is some serious pruning!! :)

5. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    :D yeah don't know if it matters but I managed that one while playing on ipad and kept zooming in to trim little bits of here and there.

6. That's what I've been doing, too. ;) I didn't even realize it zooms in that far until I tried it.

7. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    well it seems like your trees have no limit to stop growing when going through again as I've made really tall trees on a few levels now.
    as soon as you've completed the flower objective just keep trimming away bits and it constantly re grows parts. :D
    found a couple of little extras in there to keep me occupied.

8. Yeah, I think most people are just playing to pass the levels and move on. But I keep going back to mess around with the trees and see what I could make. Even have it on my sad, dying iPhone in case the mood strikes me on the go.

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm actually taking it very slow through the game, I usually play a level at least 4 or 5 times trying for new and unique solutions or just beautiful trees. Does the game unlock some sandbox mode once you clear all the levels? I feel like this game definitely needs a sandbox mode.

10. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    no, no sandbox mode unfortunately but there does seem to be some extra things to find and go for.
    if you build a high enough tree to bloom blue flowers on some levels you earn a blue star, and I've found a little white sapling but don't know what that's for

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, I noticed that on some levels.

12. Yeah, I started compiling a list of them as I found which levels have it (at the bottom of the page so as not to spoil it for those who want to discover it themselves): http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/07/24/prune-walkthrough-guide/

It's definitely kept me playing!

13. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Fantastic game! Highly recommended ...

14. I just spent waaaaaaay too much time pruning a tree off the screen like you did.

Surprised I didn't get a blue star, though.

15. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Hi wow great game just finished, but it crashes a lot on my girl friends iPod touch 4, is there a fix coming in the near future?

16. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Wow. Seems to be a really nice game. I'll definitely give it a try. ;)

17. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I've noticed this.
    if you pan around the level you can find a blue flower growing somewhere and there the levels you can earn blue stars on.

18. So you can see it before it grows on your tree?

19. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Still playing with trees...
    I took a screenshot and noticed that the leaves blowing in the wind are shaped like ginkgo leaves. This reminds me of hearing once that a ginkgo tree was found alive and growing in Hiroshima after the bomb. Kind of fits with this theme of the somehow redemptive tenacity of life. (Or, you know.. Whatever.)
    Good Work, Joel Mcdonald.

20. -Kiki-

-Kiki- Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Oh wow. This game looks beautiful. I have just enough money left over to buy it, but I was planning on buying 80 Days! I did just buy the three Sorcery! titles, though, so I might want to hold off on another gamebook, haha.

I have a question or two, for those who have played it.

1.) I don't own an iPad, just a fifth generation iPod touch. The game is universal, but will it still be good to play on the smaller screen? It doesn't look terribly hard to control, but I just want to be sure.

2.) How challenging is it? It looks to be quite a relaxing game, and I am all for that. I read that there is a skip feature - is that always available or can you only skip so many levels/only have the option to skip after a certain period of time being stuck on the level?

Everywhere that I have looked, people seem to be praising the game! I just want to make sure it's worth the money - it looks and sounds gorgeous, I just really want to be sure it'll still play well on a smaller screen!