Universal Proven Lands (Sci-Fi, Rogue-Like, Sandbox, 3D, Survival, RPG)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SirHanet, Mar 13, 2014.

1. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    #1 SirHanet, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    There was a article on a game that was only on pocketgamer(Link Below):
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Proven+Lands/news.asp?c=58008

Most of the details about the game is in the article but the game needs your help to be funded. The game is currently on Kickstarter(Link Below):
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesetales/proven-lands

It would be really helpful if some people from the forums donated some money to the devs so the game can be funded. It would also be really helpful if there was a article on the game on TouchArcade. You can download a demo of the game(Link Below) so you can see for yourself if you want the game:
    http://provenlands.com/demo.html (Windows Only)

Screenies, art, GIFS, and details at(Link Below):
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesetales/proven-lands/description

Game's main website:
    http://provenlands.com/index.html

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#2 Bronxsta, Mar 13, 2014
    Hey, you beat me to it! Was planning on posting about the game tomorrow. Yeah it's awesome, ambitious, and has a huge scope and tons of promise

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please support this!

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That top GIF :D

4. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Thanks man, for the rest of the details. Somehow I couldn't copy all the info that you posted. I just hope that this gets funded and beyond because this game is my dream game.

5. Bronxsta

#5 Bronxsta, Mar 13, 2014
    I know what you mean

I started the NeoGAF thread, trying to drum up support. Will be doing a preview on my blog next week

Also if you can, might want to add something like "sci-fi survival roguelike" to the title, will probably get more people interested

6. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Questions

First, I want to know your blog! Second, I don't know to how to add stuff to the title!

7. Bronxsta

Check my signature :)

And either, try and edit the top post (go to Advanced) or message a moderator to change the title

8. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Answers!

First, thanks for the directions to your blog and second, I was only able to change my post title and not the main title!

9. Bronxsta

Yeah, so you probably need to message a mod and ask them to change the title.

10. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
  11. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    I am NOOBIE!!

And how do I do that?

12. Bronxsta

13. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
  14. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    #14 SirHanet, Mar 13, 2014
    Game update #3: About the mood, trait and ambition system, and multiplayer

Hey

Let’s talk about the mood, trait and ambition system, and our multiplayer plans which make Proven Lands probably quite unique.

But first of all I want to say thank you for all the questions! Also: Feel free to chat within our comments or just write me a personal message and I’ll try to answer it as soon as possible. Don’t worry, I read all of them. Furthermore I’d like to tell you about two friends here, two very cool sci-fi Kickstarter campaigns which will end very soon!

The idea behind the mood system - which is influenced by old Rogue-Likes and more known games such as The Sims, Project Zomboid and Crusader Kings - is to make your main character less predictable. I think these type of details are much more important for a survival game like ours than a Metroid, Zelda or Titanfall. So basically an AI is constantly managing your moods and traits in the background – like “sick”, “tired”, “thirsty” or “very thirsty”. Give the pre alpha tech demo a try to check this out. Instead of just showing bars with a “strength of 5” I’d like to display your mood and traits with icons and warnings. Tom already did a couple first spacesuit sound alerts for this (see below). Like in real-life you do not see your current health at 90% or hunger at 55%. Instead you notice yourself being “injured”, “sick” or “hungry”, sometimes as a placebo effect. Zomboid for instance did great at placebo effects, where you sometimes don’t even know if you’re sick because of a cold or the zombie virus (big plus to the devs, imo). This is where we are heading: We already have advanced moods/traits in the system. However, some moods/traits make no sense without proper 3D assets and subsystems. I’d like to make this system as dynamic and pragmatic as possible (with modding in mind) because it’s fun when your character doesn’t behave exactly the same way you do.

AN AMBITION SYSTEM

The ambition system on the other side, as of yet, isn't a part of the demo due to the quest subsystem. However if you know Crusader Kings 2 you probably get the idea behind it. Your character will have one ambition at the same time – sort of a major quest. For instance: “I need a new spacesuit”, “I’d like to be alone” (for 3 days?) or “I hate those guys over there. Let’s kill them all”. If you do not pick an ambition manually, the AI will assign a random ambition to your character - which could interfere your plans. All ambitions have a deadline, a negative effect (if failed) and a positive effect (if achieved). For example: “depressed” or “happy like a butterfly”. The Sims uses something quite similar. Proven Lands is not The Sims, obviously, but you probably get an idea of such a system. You might be wondering: Why ambitions? The goal is to have some sort of a very basic Black & White behaviour instead of a linear and predictable Metroid (great game though, really. Just a different gameplay). So, in fact you do control and manage your character in Proven Lands, but from time to time he/she will do something unpredictable that might upset you.

FIRST NOTES ON MODDING AND "STATE MACHINES"

Both systems - the mood/trait and ambition system - share the same “state machine” of your character (computer science term). For the character state machine those moods and traits are just part of a different category, which makes extensions, management and handling quite easy - technically speaking. What does it mean?Well, it means, in short, that for the Proven Lands engine there is no major difference between “traits”, “moods”, “ambitions”, “quests”, “laser guns”, “trees” (except for rendering), “space bread”, “cucurbit farm” and “vehicle x”, even knowledge of an item x or y. One may combine anything with everything that comes into one's head, and it already works with our first "categories" such as moods, traits, crafting, spawning of plants and creatures etc. etc. See demo.

I think this is something which modders will go crazy about as soon we have first mod tools because it is an extremely powerful concept. It is probably the reason why we made such a good progress in just 6 months, I think, I hope, not counting the terrain engine and own shaders. :p

MULTIPLAYER

I’d like to be careful about multiplayer. I have years of experience with servers, however, multiplayer is an own dev step. But: We will have a multiplayer for sure, one way or another, don’t worry. A higher funding (see stretch goal) just speeds it up a bit - thanks to an additional coder for less complex issues and tasks. We’ll start with basic co-op and then we’ll see how it feels to all of us. I definitely think that Proven Lands needs a multiplayer, perhaps with the beta or release, as soon as we have all subsystems, a better terrain engine and a few other important improvements – “even if it’s friend-friend co-op without the bells and whistles of a true MP server environment”, as Mochnant mentioned. ;)

15. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    The developers, not me!

Oh also guys, the top post that I made was from the devs and not me!

16. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Wow, this sounds amazing!! A lot of ideas that haven't been brought to the App Store yet!

17. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Some things!

It would be very helpful if you spread the news about this game or maybe back the game on kickstarter!

18. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Bringing the devs here!

Over the next days, I am going to bring the devs here on this thread!

19. SirHanet

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
  20. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Will there be plenty of different types of weapons for combat? And I watched the video and got a little confused. Sorry if I misunderstood but we won't be making our own planets like making caves, kanyons, plants, and animals will we? Like there will already be planets with these things to explore that you guys created, but we will be able to build machines and various devices on the planets right? Sorry that part confused me :/