Universal Proto Raider (by UAB "Puzzle Lab")

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Holy crap! This looks awesome! Thanks to MC's impressions and that video, I'm in. I've honestly never seen a game done with ASCII before.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Wow! This looks incredible. At first I wasn't so sure but then the video won me over.
    I think this would be good to play with the lights off.....
    :)

I will be getting this one as soon as I get my new iTunes card/ balance. Unfortunately, I allready spent the one for March! LOL .
    I blame everyone here at Touch Arcade! Kidding!

So... I will wait, with extreme jealously....

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This is one touch gameplay right?

5. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    NetHack (Rogue, DCSS, Moria, Angband, etc.), Brogue, Dwarf Fortress, Sanctuary RPG, the list goes on!

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#26 Anotherkellydown, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Well, aren't I a dummy! Haha, kidding. ;)

I'm only up to level 9, but I was so impressed with what little I played so far that I had to come back here real quick.

The music is so beautiful! I love the waterfalls and water. It's crazy what this dev did using only symbols and a few different letters (a stack of "H's" makes a ladder, clever!). There are dialogue boxes with regular characters that pop up when you come across a signpost.

To answer coolpepper, yes it's one touch to jump, and that's it. Your dude moves one direction automatically and can only change directions when bumping into arrows (a stack of these <-).

I would highly commend this if you're on the fence for the music alone. Can't wait to see what lies ahead!

7. rseller1

rseller1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I'm also enjoying this so far, and I'm not usually a fan of one-touch autorunners. The level design is clever, and new gameplay elements are sprinkled in often enough to keep things interesting so far (I'm at level 12). What really shines for me is the music and art style. The soundtrack is great and complements the feel of the game, and the ascii art looks really good in motion.

8. Puzzle Lab

Puzzle Lab Active Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Hi Guys! Thank you very much for playing our game! We are preparing an update now which will contain Game Center and additional inverse mode (characters on white background)

9. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    After enabling disabled mode on my phone (color inversion is great for reading at night - white's bright!) and watching that demo vid I think inverse will look equally as awesome.

10. Dekovir

Dekovir Member

Apr 1, 2012
    This game is a real masterpiece. Gongrats, Puzzle Lab!

11. Puzzle Lab

Puzzle Lab Active Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Thank you Dekovir!
    Xaintrix, it is possible to enable Inverse and Monochrome simultaneously. It looks interesting

12. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I second this statement. The ASCII animations are beautiful, the music is appropriately soothing, the level designs are clever and engaging, the controls are responsive and well-suited to one-handed play on the iphone, and the game is unique enough to stand apart from similar offerings. What a phenomenal experience! I am already looking forward to new level packs, sequels, etc.!

13. Puzzle Lab

Puzzle Lab Active Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I've just submit an update of the game for approval. The update is based on comments and suggestions. Thank you! Here are new screenshots:
    [​IMG]

14. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    This game is fantastic!

15. Puzzle Lab

Puzzle Lab Active Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Thank you, Glorkbot!

16. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I just beat the game. I got all the chests. I had a terrific time, and felt always challenged but never frustrated. This game hit that exact sweet spot for me, so thank you.

However, there is one level that I think is too hard... Level 26* I felt like it was totally random that I made it through alive. I have been unable to beat that one a second time. If I didn't get through by chance that level would have been a total roadblock for me and my game would have ended there. Which would have been a bummer because everything after that was such a blast to play, so great.

Also, after switching the options around a few times in one game, the game started to slow down and got slower and slower and slower until it crashed.

*(In an early attempt at that level I made it through alive and then died before the winning animation completed, and had to retry. That was kinda cool, but also felt unfair.)

17. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    @Glorkbot - try force closing the game and rebooting. Sounds lik a memory leak, but that usually is the workaround until the optimization ;)

18. Glorkbot

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    It crashed to the ipad home screen, and when I started the game again it was fine.

19. Puzzle Lab

Puzzle Lab Active Member

Oct 19, 2012
    #39 Puzzle Lab, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    chief78, thank you for feedback! We are in process of preparing third update now (second one have been already sent to approval), so your info is very helpful! Trying to fix level 26...

20. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Whoa this looks awesome!