Promoting a Kickstarter campaign

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maggiesgames, Apr 3, 2015.

1. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey,

Has anyone used Kickstarter to promote their App and can share some ideas on how to get backers? I launched a campaign yesterday and while it pretty quickly got 5 backers who found it in the "new" category, it then also pretty quickly scrolled away from the new category and now I am struggling mightily to get people to discover it.

Of course I am doing my best on forums, social media, friends, etc, but it has not yielded much results yet.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone who's been there and succeeded / failed?

2. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I have managed to successfully fund a campaign. Do you have a link to your campaign that you can share? I think that that could be helpful.

One thing I can recommend, without even seeing it though, is a press release. It will give you something else to point people to and could bring some eyes on your project. You can even do it for free at prmac.com. I use them all the time (and 20 bucks for the extended release is a bargain, IMO).

3. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    #3 maggiesgames, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Hey, well, since this is a forum for apps and this project is actually a paper card game, I was not sure if it was ok to share it here. I am hanging around here because I am an app creator first and foremost, and people here usually have good advice about all sorts of things. And Kickstarter promotion is something that would apply to any type of project really, so I hope it's fine to discuss it here. But actually I should probably have posted this thread in the "lounge" section of the forum. Heh, I did not realise we had an "off topic" section until now.

Anyway I don't wanna come here and seem like I am just trying to get free advertisement so I didn't just post the project link right away. I am really looking for some first hand advice from someone who's been successful on Kickstarter. That would be much more valuable then some free clicks. But I added the project link to my signature for those who want to check it out.

I've considered doing press releases for my previous apps, but never did since so many say it's not working for them. It worked for you then? Did you get picked up by any magazines / websites etc after sending out your press releases?

Where did you get most of your backers? Friends and family etc, or "unknown" people? May I ask what your project was? I take it it's still on Kickstarter, they save all old projects right?

4. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I get you not posting the link now. Makes sense.

I can't say how much traffic the press release generated for me. A lot of my funding came from friends/family but not all of it. I had a few backers that found me through other sources, from the press release to getting featured on their home page for a couple days. It probably also helped that I wasn't trying to raise a terribly large amount of money. And I also only ran the project because of that for 15 days.

My project name was Sweet Revenge in the mobile games section. You should be able to find it there.

Good luck!

5. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    Checked it out. Yeah, looks like most projects get their majority of backers from friends and stuff. It's really a struggle to get other people to discover it. We have 6 "unknown" backers so far. They all pre-ordered our game though, so that's good. But yeah... need more!:)