iPad Promo Codes for Petri

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gillygize, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Hey, I posted this over at this thread, but it hasn't been getting any attention, so I thought I would give it a new thread with a more descriptive title.

I'll be checking both threads, so those people who answered in the previous thread won't get left out.

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

What is your philosophy of games?

superficially for entertainment, and distraction from the real world
    optimistically for insight, honing the brains of the skills in quick thinking, logic,
    and strategy

sometimes the best ways to learn about a complex real world concept is to turn it into a game, and tackle it piece by piece, plus you get to save and load when you die, a 2nd and 57th chance

3. alexbates

alexbates Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Student
    GA, USA
    Games are my life! I have about 20 iPhone games and many other games for both Wii and PS2. The games that I enjoy the most for iPhone and iPod Touch would include RTS, racing, and Tower Defense. I am also interested in most action games that you can buy for PS2. For Wii, I usually play games like Rockband and Guitar Hero.

I know a lot about games, mostly for the iPhone. I try to keep up with the newest games and price changes. I have a lot of good games that I got on sale because of this. A lot of games for Wii and PS2 I probably haven't even heard of.

I have even wanted to start making games of my own. I have been working on making iPhone games, but that has not gone very well so far.

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Leave this world for awhile, but just for awhile.

5. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    simple

im 38 so I grew up on atari and my philosophy is that games need to focus less on graphics and more on game play. too many games have great graphics but left out the fun.

some of the best games ever made focused little on graphics. Anyone remember Kaboom!

jfsypeck@comcast.net

6. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    what is my philosophy of games?

i remember when i was a basketball fan. i was a kid, eight or nine year old and just wanted to be another mj. you know, i wanted to play in chicago bulls, meet dennis rodman, scottie pippen and shake hands with phil jackson. i loved that game. when my parents went bed, i was turning tv on just to watch a game (i live in poland, so games are like at 2 am) for a minute or two.

after school i played nba live just to feel like a real baskeball player there. to be someone else for a just one sec. win a game in a last three seconds.

now i'm 21. i don't play a lot. but when i do i remember those times and just keep smiling. games help you dreaming.

thank you.

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    My philosophy of games is that I have always been a fan of movies and comic books and video games essentially put me into these mediums. The interactive nature of video games makes them alive, and I can place myself into these movie or comic-like environments. Video games are thus a living imagination.

8. Genocidia

Genocidia Member

Dec 21, 2008
    games were solely built for the purpose of relieving stress and draining away extra hours of our daily life. its a good form of escape from reality :p

9. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    couldnt agree more. my dad was an alcoholic, evil bastard, and my atari 2600 was my life line. it took me away to a better place, if only for a while. thats why i think i still play games even at 38.

j

10. thor0298

thor0298 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    games are my life been playing since i was 6. now that i have to work for a living i dont get to play as often. always been a part of my life. drifted away for a few years but came back in full force with the dreamcast

11. Billhouse

Billhouse Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'd have to echo the gameplay over graphics. I suppose my view on games has changed. It used to be about trying to beat your friends at the arcade, now it's about trying to transport yourself back to that time again by playing.

12. yosaso

yosaso Member

Dec 11, 2008
    A game... a true, good game, is a distraction without the connotations that the word distraction has picked up over the years. In theatrical terms, it is akin to the technique of an aside. It is where the player can have a transcendental experience, rising above the mundanity and mediocrity of this life, and be brought into another state of consciousness. A good game, whether through graphics, gameplay, gimmick, addictive qualities, nostalgia, and so forth, needs to be so engaging that it is able to do this.

Contra for the Nintendo system was a game that was not graphically advanced. Yet, even after 20 years of being released, I am still able to play the game and enjoy it. It creates for me an amalgamation of good gameplay, great controls, and nostalgia that lets the time go by and places my mind on a different state of being.

Games may not make me a better person. Games may sometimes by brainless and pointless. Games may not be fully understood outside the 18-35 years old male population. Yet, games are perhaps the best way to experience (more so than books, tv, movies, or meditation) the transcendence that all people are looking and yearning for.

13. jordancoolj

jordancoolj Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    #13 jordancoolj, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    i dont get petri...

14. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Philsophy of games for me is that it lets you become a kid again. Wheter your 5 or 45, when you get playing video games, you get sucked in the entertainment and forget about your age. Also since i work my ass off, it lets me burn off the steam and stress by playing video games rahter then showing it to my familes and friends

15. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    My philosophy of games is just to enjoy them...a little step back from reality.
    As a business owner, this is my only true escape, which i feel everyone needs once in a while.

16. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    For me, playing a game is a "transcendental experience" which can be revisited many times to escape temporarily from reality (life in the physical world) and allowing people to forget their difficulties in life (whether it be depression, problems at work, family issues, and even boredom).

17. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    For me games are more then a hobby, games are my life. I live breath and sleep games. I would be bored for my entire life if i did not have games. But games expand more the past video games. Games have existed for a long time. Baseball, football, basketball those are all games. Without games I dont know where i would be.

If your speaking of what kind of games in the app store, here is my checklist.
    They must be easy to pick up but immpossbile to put down. A fun different idea that is not a carbon copy of another game. Games must have a transcendental experience that makes me escape my worries and escape my life and just have fun. Finally it must be well polished.

18. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Games bring my life together.
    It doesn't just have to be a big xbox or ps3 video game, a game can be a 25 cent prize machine toy that keeps a 6 year old occupied for hours and hours.
    Games are works of art in their own form. We cahnge with times. We are not focused with a ball in a cup any more, we are focused in what the prime of technology can offer us. Although iPhone and iPod Touch games aren't the best and most enjoyable games that Korean developers have to offer, it is still the most advanced of its time.
    Think about it, 60 years ago, a 5 mega-byte hard drive took up half of a room. Now, 15,000 times that much can be carried around in our pockets and be used to play magical schemes of color and entertainment mechansims.
    It is truly amazing how far electronics have come in a century.
    iPhone games are very important to me because it doesn't matter if I fail a test at school or burn down my house, I can be anywhere, and by clicking on one icon of a very good game, I can be in my own world and not have a care to offer. This is what iPhone games do for me.
    I believe that petri is a truly fantastic game, unfortunatley the only money that I had left to pay for games was spent on my card by my brother when I was not home.
    If you grant me a chance to play petri, I believe that it will change the way I look at iPhone games, and I will be most thankfull.
    Thank you for your time and I understand if you don't chose me because there are many others that deserve this game just as much as I do.
    Regards,
    Alexander

19. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Not sure if im too late but it's my birthday today, I might be lucky:

My philosophy on games is simple. I look for the basics of a game first: good instructions, nice screen navigation, UI is excellent, gameplay is simple and unique.

I do not require a lot of fancy schmancy. The game speaks a lot more for itself if it's really organized

20. RaNd0m

RaNd0m Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Games help us detach ourselves from our world, however grim or exciting it may be. It could be a simple card game, or a complex game for a high end system, regardless, it helps our minds detach themselves from the body, and get plugged in to a game. You can be 3 years old playing Leapfrog, or 70 years old and enjoying a virtual tennis game with your grandchildren on their Wii. Games are universal and they are pure (In the sense that they are nuetral until a kind/evil person puts them to use).