Promo Codes can't be rated, reviewed and don't count as purchase anymore!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by slewis7, Apr 29, 2011.

1. I was able to review yesterday.

2. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I ran Promo Dispenser, which was giving away Promo Codes for reviews and users reported that they get an error message if they try to review promo code downloads.

They emailed to Apple and they all received the same message:

3. schoolmate

schoolmate Active Member

Mar 22, 2011
    South Korea
    I received same answer from same concern.

Can't scoring redeemed app

4. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Maybe codes, which were claimed before the update, still can be rated and reviewed, but the new ones can't be anymore...

I don'T know.

I only know, that we received these messages and our users reported this permanently in the last 2-3 weeks.

5. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    If we cannot rate the app, it is hard to know did we own that app before. I used review and rating to test the test best I press BUY to re-download it.

6. ReventonX

ReventonX Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I have The problem unable to review the app also. It's been a while now since last week. Problem only happen for using promo code redeemed app :(

7. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Weird, cause I just tried it and it worked for me.
    I just won a promo code for a game yesterday, redeemed it, and then today was able to successfully write a review in the Canadian app store.

8. adamjones

adamjones Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Developer
    #28 adamjones, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
    I also got the same alert but from another user, i really want to know if apple has announced this officially or may be selected ones only got this mail. :confused:

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This is bad news. Developers who pressured those who got promo codes to give 5-star reviews are probably to blame for Apple's decision to do this, but people who gave honest feedback either in these forums or in a review only helped developers make improvements to their games.

Now, there will be little incentive for developers to even bother with promo codes. There are so many developers (mostly ones that don't come here looking for feedback) that either gave the codes to friends and family or just had them purchase it to put up "shill" reviews to boost sales. I don't think this will stop those kind of reviews.

Promo codes -- at least those from developers who want honest feedback -- were a way to get a game noticed and help make updates to make a game better.

10. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I agree, they were particularly good in helping indies devs.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I successfully submitted two reviews over the weekend.

12. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Of the ten or so promo codes I've received over the past few weeks, only 2 allowed me to post a review. All of the other ones, I'm unable to post a review. I have tried multiple times to post reviews (on different days and even yesterday) and it still says I can't because I didn't purchase or download the app. Looks like Apple's new policy still has a few kinks to iron out.

13. bem69

bem69 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    this is bad, looks like we're heading for a big change in the way we can help the devs with reviews here.

14. mianpi

mianpi Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I was able to rate and review all promocodes I received. Still haven't this problem in the spanish store.
    I agree that the review is a great tool for small developers to promote his apps.
    I don't give reviews and rates to any app I sincerely don't think it deserves.
    Also, promocoeds allow developers to have users to give them impressions about the app and bug or features they think can improve the app.
    Perhaps apple must "mark" review made using promocodes. I think this solution will be good for customers and developers. What do you think?

15. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Has anyone thought that maybe it's just the newer codes from (x) date - present? As in, before this new policy was put in place, those codes will be fine for reviewing, but from (x) date onward, the codes that devs get disallow ratings/reviews.

16. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I thought the same. Even though some folks are just getting promo codes, it's possible they were generated prior to the cutoff date.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Isn't this sort of a good change? I mean sure, some people claimed codes, played games, and left honest reviews... But more often than not this just seemed like it gave ammo for promo code beggars and shills to go hog wild both pestering developers and saturating the App Store with bogus 5 star reviews.

I can totally see where Apple is coming from with this. The purpose of the review system is for crowd sourced feedback from people who bought the apps... Not to dupe people into buying your app because you found a few dozen people to give you a 5 star review in exchange for a promo code.

18. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I agree to some extent. There are some sites that would reward you points for reviewing an app.

Any feedback or user rating system can be gamed. Just a shame for honest reviewers or developers wanting quality feedback.

Alas, the devs could still do a very short free price drop though. Not the same but a good work around.

19. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#39 blitter, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    This does need stomping out, but not really this exact way as now the abusers just have to pay for the priv.

When did the change take effect...maybe there's only 1 way to find out...fight! 2 codes - WARHKH6AW44W (generated 23rd April) and FTH7KRTYLT49 (generated 1st May)...now, as a developer I get perhaps a small reward of a review for taking time out for this experiment, plus a couple of folk get a free app...those are what is being taken away from us, I hope we can replace this feature without all having to find cash for gift codes, which gives the advantage to the bigger teams.

edit: ok so I messed up there by somehow reading the word promo as the sub-forum name, well I still think it's a valid experiment...and yes Sinecure Industries, having again been through PM feedback and links it is clearly a great reward to be in contact with the end-user! It did however seem like a nice idea to get an app started by hearing new feedback on the store, that would be my inexperience sorry, these forums have much more detail.

20. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

This is only as bad as all the promo codes I've given out and heard nothing in return. Now I KNOW I won't hear anything back, hahaa. Seriously though, the people around here provide fantastic feedback which is worth more than a review on the app store any day.