promo codes are out of control

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by renton, Jul 25, 2009.

1. It didn't seem to me that giving away promo codes to random people on the forums helped sales at all anyway.

Plus if you try to do something original it ends up taking up a lot of time, and in the end the same 20 people get the codes anyway.

Shen

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It really doesn't. It might generate a little buzz if your game is absolutely stagnant, but more often than not you're right, it's the same 20 people and most promo code contests end with those people posting their codes up for trade in the Promo Code Exchange Club.

I kind of think you're much better off as a developer to just send your codes to people with actual web sites, even if they're low traffic than just giving them away for people to sock away and trade for other games.

3. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Being somewhat new on here ( I did alot of learking before posting) the only thing that bugs me is people trying to get codes for things they will never play just to get a free game. Now that bugs me. They should at least stick to the ones they really are interested in instead of trying to get as many as they can.
    The only time you will see me pop up is games I either really want to play or some I had already purchased.

But on the other hand, when I do get to speak to a dev and help make a game better or give my honest feedback, I really enjoy that. After playing a game I get a code for I always post in the forum and iTunes my opinions. I think that is only fair to the devs trying to get thier games and ideas out to others.

My 2 cents :)

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I agree with this. I mean it's cool that they give out promotional codes, but most of them do it posting it in a thread, and like you said: the same people get them over and over. Review sites and stuff could put more use to them. I love this site and it would be cool to get Promo codes too, but I do have a job. I cannot be on here all the time VS. the kids who have nothing better to do. I am not nessisarily complaining about me having to work, but it would be cool if it was done in a different matter, or just not at all. I don't know...

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm only bothered by people who miss out on a contest or give away, and ask the dev to "give them one".

In fact, there's a couple people with their signatures reading "Give me promo codes!" =P

As long as the devs are happy with their feedback (mummy's Revenge) to improve their game, I don't think it matters.

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The best way to go here is promo contests which asks the forum members to give suggestions about improving the game, or what kind of change will it take acc to them to consider the game worth buying. These codes are free for devs and even if u consider them as lost sales(which probably wouldn't have happened anyways) it's a good price to pay for some creative input which could help make ur game more appealing to the customers. But giving them away to whoever sees them first or asks for one first is the worst way to go here IMO. Not saying that's a complete waste as u might still get some good input but definitely not the best possible way either.

7. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    This is where reputation comes in.
    say a dev were to give you a promo code and asked for feedback if you dont supply feedback like asked and promised they could give you a -1 and it will warn devs from said member so they can pick someone else who will give them feedback.

of course prove me wrong guys :D
    just adding some brain food:eek::eek:

8. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    You're right, rep points would make sense.

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Rep points are not the answer.
    The same people then get rewarded time after time and others will say rep points are unfair because how can they earn more if they aren't given codes to earn them? Seriously, it.does.not.work.

Many people here seem to think that the fact they read this site gives them the absolute right to free games using codes. You can tell this through their indignant posts when they don't get their code.
    Many people here shout and scream that they'll give a review for a code and they are plain lying.
    The number of times I have seen dev's post "Thanks for the reviews!" I can probably count on my thumbs.
    The number of times I have seen free codes given out I would need the thumbs of an entire village.

It makes no sense at all to throw all the codes into the forum. Your return rate must be fantastically small.

Devs should not need rep points or other nonsense to decide on codes. There's a forum here for devs where ideas are probably happening, look at the posts where codes have been given and see who did a review, look at the upcoming games forum and see who gives good feedback and then give those people codes.
    And part 2 is to go elsewhere. Why not find some blogs that are being written by gamers? Given them a code and another for a reader of the blog. They are way more likely to blog about that than someone where who expects a promo code like I expect the sun to rise.

We should be coming here for games, not codes. We should be coming here for good information, constructive discussion, chatting about games and everything else game related. But we should not have codes being given away so freely. I think it is very significant that the forum where codes are given away usually is in the top spot on the main site page and on every post page. In some ways giving some codes away bumps the name of the game to the front and it is effectively advertising. Nothing wrong in that but the noise generated is not good. But because one dev/publisher does it others think they have to do it and it goes round and more and more codes are give out.

A couple of things are needed and I honestly believe the first part is to make all promos be posted in another forum area and for that area to be either not featured on the front page or to get the same 5 posts as some others do.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    No, making a forum specifically for promo codes is silly, people will camp there the whole time for give aways.

Simply not including the words promo code in your title, or even the first post, and giving them away later to people who were genuinely interested is a better solution IMO.

11. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Uh, how is this really different than what we have now? And why would that be bad or worse than what we have now?

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #32 drelbs, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    My $0.02 (plus tax)

I'm guessing some people might lump me into that group of 20 people, and I just wanted to chime in that I use all the codes I get myself (except for two duplicates which I have told devs they could send to someone else). I also post actively in game discussions on this forum, post reviews on iTunes, and have even written a few detailed reviews here. (I have been offered to review for other sites, and am not doing so as TA has been good to me!)

That being said, I think it's great when devs take the time to run contests (SpeedR, Sentinel, Magnetrox, etc... (links go go relevant threads)) as it's a lot of fun to participate in them, and it guarantees that lurkers don't get the codes.

"First 5 people to PM me" and attaching a list work fine as well.

I always rate things a bit higher on iTunes to help people out, and mark good reviews as helpful to bury the one star reviews...

I'm just happy devs are actively participating here and have been willing to share codes with us.

Drelbs

EDIT: I just remembered one for thing that I've seen devs do that seems like it would work well - post codes several pages into a regular discussion of the game: as long as the words "promo codes" don't appear in the thread those codes should safely fall into the hands of people reading the thread...

13. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Read my next sentence, I didn't mean I think it's fine the way it is currently.

14. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Are we trying to discourage developers from giving away promo codes? I, for one, really appreciate being able to play a game for free and can't imagine complaining about it! I can understand the posts about trying to help the developers get the best value (usually posted reviews) for their codes. I always leave a review on iTunes for developers, but I know a lot of people don't. What I can't understand is throwing fits about whether or not you got a code. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't, but I always appreciate the chance at getting one.

15. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #35 markx2, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    No. Just put it somewhere that does not clutter the rest of the forum.

Please understand that they sell these iphones and ipod touches outside of the US and every person outside the US cannot use these codes. So effectively that makes the forum US-centric in that all we have are the bleatings of those who did not get their daily freebie.

What I want is for the devs to get more bang for their code. More feedback, more reviews. If that means everything stays as it is because it's more discreet, great. If it means another forum, great. I'm just massively fed up of the kids who promise their world for a freebie day after day after day.

I don't now even read threads with the word 'promo' in the titles. Why should I? It's full of kids.

The more people buy the idevice the more kids will come here and the more noise that will be made. I like this forum but I liked it more before noise got so high as it is now.

16. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    They're games. Kids play them.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I used to spend a lot of time in the arcades when I was a kid.

Now I hang out in the TouchArcade forums when I have free moment.

Christmas 1979: Santa brings me an Atari 2600 with Combat, Maze Craze and Space Invaders.

Today: Downloaded and started playing Space Invaders Infinity Gene.

Life is good. :cool:

18. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yes sir, I too am a fan of arcade games... :cool:

VVVVVV