Promo Code Forum

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by TheUnrealEngine, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheUnrealEngine

TheUnrealEngine Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Student/Lifeguard
    Vancouver, BC
    Okay, this has probably been asked before but I want to bring it up.

Is there no way for an admin at this site to make the Promo Code Forum viewable to members only? It's kind of annoying to go get a code, only for it to be snatched by a guest or someone who doesn't have an account and won't say if they've taken one or not or even say thanks.

If you are aware of this, it'd be nice to know why the site keeps the forum that way.

Personally I think you'd have more members is you made the forum members only so that more people would join in order to get codes.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  3. TheUnrealEngine

TheUnrealEngine Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Student/Lifeguard
    Vancouver, BC
    Well maybe instead of whining about someone bringing it up again, you could explain the situation and save others some time...

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Well, as I see it:

Developers can post codes here. They are allowed to do so in whichever fashion they desire, from flat out posting codes to giving them out via email/PM/twitter/facebook. They can run contests or whatnot. There are several simple methods of posting codes so that only TA members can get them, for example: as a text file attached to a post.

This debate has come up several times - the consensus is that developers can do what they want with their codes. Some developers have expressed that they want codes to go to random people and don't care about feedback, or don't want to deal with the effort of responding to a flood of PMs. On the other hand, there was a great thread by Atommo where he went out of his way to make sure no lurkers got codes...

I'll say it - I was a lurker once, many members here probably were too. Be glad that developers are willing to share with us, and enjoy what you get. Between TA and the free app sites there's a ton of great (and not so great ;) stuff to be had for no cost whatsoever (except perhaps for a bit of time...)

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    By whining about someone bringing this up again, we are showing that we have explained it and by explaining it again we would only be proving that it didn't save us or others time. On the other hand, you now know that this has been asked before so you should search for a thread similar to this and stop whining about us whining and save everyone some time.

This response will most likely anger you so I will try to explain to you what people have said about this topic.

People in favor think that there is a higher chance that members would write a review, but those opposed argue that the chance a member would write a review is no more than a lurker writing a review. If a developer wanted to give out promo codes to members only, they would require a PM for a code. Also, the admins of this site believe that the promo code section is just a way for developers to advertise their game to everyone and they may do so however they choose. The promo code section wasn't designed as a way to get more members.

Wow that was a waste of time.

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #6 ImNoSuperMan, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010