iPad Promised updates...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sambo110, May 5, 2009.

1. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Who is sick of promised updates for games? I bought Warfare Inc. and Dead Man's Dungeon expecting awesome updates, but they never come out. I was going to buy Light Riders for multiplayer, I'm glad I didn't. Why do they keep lying about updates, I'm glad some developers still release updates when they say.

2. arykmax

arykmax Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I made the mistake of buying Urban Tycoon expecting an update too. I learned my lesson.

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Having no updates for Warefare Inc. yet really hurt me. Though i'm still not disappointed in buying it.

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lol,

I;m with ya all.
    specially with DMD..........

5. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I said this in a another thread a few minutes ago... you'll be buying Light Riders soon enough...

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameloft's 'Ferrari GT: Evolution' is supposed to have an online multiplayer update coming, the app description has been saying "Update coming soon" but for the past year or so......... :mad:

7. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    on top of my head:

Urban Tycoon
    That PIXEL game (can't remember the name)
    Lightriders
    Ferrari GT

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

Touchsoft mobile..the maker of Urban tycoon is a Fraud
    there is no update coming, he even removed that promise in the update
    so for everyone who bought it for 2 bucks, like myself, got screwed out of our money and burned

the app store is full of BS products, i dont buy like i use to, and i dont believe delevopers unless they have a proven track record of actually coming through with their products and their updates

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    3d world

I bought 3d world which said it will add jumping and shooting. No update and all you can do is run around. How can I contact apple because they also breach copyright

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I too have pretty much stopped purchasing products with the promise of an update.
    I've decided I'll pay any potential increase in fee when I actually see that it's been updated.
    It's one thing to buy and you're pleased with the product as is and hope/want more/updated, but if you're buying with the caveat of an update, you're bound to be screwed over on more than one occassion...

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

there was a report abuse button, but now i can't seem to find it

there is also this procedure

Report an issue

If all other troubleshooting does not resolve the issue, you can report the issue within iTunes or from the App Store on your iPhone or iPod touch.

To report the issue from your iPhone or iPod touch:

1. Tap Review on the application's information page to open the Reviews section.
    2. Tap on the composition button in the upper right to load the composition choices.
    3. Tap "Report a Problem" to load the "Report a problem" screen.
    4. Select the appropriate symptom.
    5. Tap the "Comments?" box to add comments after you choose your issue.
    6. Tap the Report button in the upper right corner to submit your issue.
    7. A confirmation screen appears. Tap Cancel to cancel the report and return to Reviews screen, or tap OK to submit the report to the application developer.

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ivory Tower

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Just make sure you're happy with the price you're paying and the app you're getting before you buy it. When there are so many games on the App Store there's really not much reason to buy a crummy or incomplete game just so you can sit around with your fingers crossed waiting for it to get updated.

Not really much sense in getting worked up over the lack of updates, developers aren't under any obligation to give you anything other than the app you got at the time of purchase.

14. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    I have been in touch with the people at Transgaming in regards Puzzle Quest 1.3? to an issue where, if you have to restore your iphone, the character saved on their servers is lost.

They have said an update to the issue is forthcoming. That was 8 weeks ago. I contact them weekly. Here is what they have said:
    March 13:
    "Hello,

Thank you for your email.

At this time we are experiencing an issue with restoring characters saved on our server, and
    they are temporarily unavailable. So if you choose to remove and reinstall, your hero will
    not be available for use until our next update. You could start a new hero, however.

Please go into iTunes, and with your iPhone/iTouch connected, click on the status pane.
    Click where it says "serial number". It should change to "Device ID" and become a very long
    (40 characters) string. Please copy and paste this into a reply to this email, as it may
    help us in tracking and fixing this issue.

I am unfortunately unable to say when an update will be available, but please be assured
    that we are concentrating our efforts to get an update rolled out to the App Store as soon
    as possible.

Regards,

Alec
    TransGaming Support
    www.transgaming.com"

"Hi Jeff,

Thanks for following up with your device ID.

I can appreciate your frustration, and I do apologize for the inconvenience of being
    temporarily unable to restore your character. I suggested the option of starting a new
    character because some people are happy to explore the other classes they have not tried -
    however I do understand that for others the time investment is a significant factor.

Currently, character retrieval from our server is not working. I am unfortunately not able
    to comment on when a patch will be available on the App Store, but understandably this is an
    issue of major focus for us. We are doing everything we can to get this functionality
    implemented as quickly as we can. Collecting device IDs along the way does actually help us
    with this.

We do appreciate any positive posts you've put out there about Puzzle Quest. There has been
    a lot of constructive conversation as well, and we are doing our best to adopt the comments
    we receive and improve our products and service accordingly.

Kind regards,

Alec
    TransGaming Support
    www.transgaming.com"

March 24:
    "Hi Jeff,

Thank you for following up with us. I have requested an update on when the patch is
    scheduled for release, and am waiting to hear back from our developers. I apologize for the
    delay, and you can be assured that I will be in touch as soon as I have even an approximate
    date for you.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Kind regards,

Alec
    TransGaming Support"

April 8:
    "Hi Jeff,

I run TransGaming's mobile business unit, so thought I'd connect directly with you. I'm sorry we haven't been able to resolve your problems more quickly. The simple truth is that we're swamped. We'd like to ship an update that solves the character bugs, as well as enables savedgame downloading. However, with all the things on our plate, even I am spending time writing code.

So, I can't give you a timeline on an update, but know that we're working on things as fast as we can.

If you'd like to speak further, feel free to give me a ring at +1 415 680 3565.

Kind regards,

-Sutha "

April 28 (after resending an email that went 4 days without reply):
    "Hi Jeff,

Thank you for resending that.

I can certainly appreciate your frustration with your experience with PuzzleQuest. We
    encourage our customers to provide feedback to us and to share their experiences with the
    gaming community. Although we try to ensure that we have provided the best game and gaming
    experience possible, we recognize that we can't always be perfect and will endure our share
    of criticism. Our hope is that it will come constructively, so that we can improve and grow
    from the experience.

I realize that you have been waiting on the update that will re-enable character restoration
    for quite a while. Regrettably, due to the unforeseen work load involved in us completing
    and releasing that update, it has been a larger task than expected.

I would like to assure you that we do devote significant effort into supporting existing
    projects. As you certainly know, customer reviews are an important aspect of the iPhone
    gaming community. If we want our games to succeed and for our customers to be happy (and
    share this in the form of reviews) we must support our games, not merely release them. This
    is an ideal that we strive to meet at every opportunity. I realize that from the perspective
    of a customer waiting for a game update it may seem like PQ is not being worked on - I would
    like to assure you that it is, but the magnitude of the project unfortunately requires
    significant development time.

We will continue to work on the issue of restoring characters, but I do not have a time line
    for when this effort will be complete. It is important to us and we -are- working on it.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to write to us. I know that I may not be able to
    alleviate all of your concerns, but I hope at least that you understand that we are not
    abandoning the first two PuzzleQuest chapters.

Best regards,

Alec
    TransGaming Support"

Still haven't restarted the game, not likely to buy from them again. I was defending them and their fairly shoddy first release of the game as being playable, but my interest in doing so has eroded over the weeks. It's a fun game, just so long as you don't expect to be able to play after a restore. Had I known I would lose my character, I would have restored from a backup but I wanted to use the restore to see if some issues I had were corrected by a fresh install. Puzzle Quest WAS the game I had by far spent the most time on (20+ hours), and wanted to be sure I didn't lose it. Silly me, thinking that because they offer to store the saved games on their own servers, I would be "safe" to restore... Silly, silly me.

15. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Exactly.
    Well put.

16. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Ok...here's another one!!!

THE CREEPS - ok, we had one update with new levels, but the dev. promised some more coming out "really soon".

i remember someone contacting him...(maybe it was me) and he said that he just moved and would get to it when he could. That is just lame.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

How is it lame that real life comes before iPhone games? It's a $1.99 game that has flirted with a 99¢ price point. Do you really expect him to drop everything and add more maps? You guys fail to realize that when you're selling games for this cheap and taking home anywhere between 50¢ and $1.00 per download after Apple's cut and taxes... You can't really afford free content updates for life.

18. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    :p;)

19. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Actually it looks like The Creeps is being updated. ;)
    Recent thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=10668&highlight=creeps

20. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    There may be a reason why you folks don't see updates on certain games. If the developer doesn't make enough money with the initial release (and we are mostly talking small developers or even totally new ones) then why would they bother creating updates for it? Creating updates costs time and money and if it doesn't pay off then why do it.

I could go into a big rant about Apple, people's expectations on pricing (everybody expects $0.99 games or free games).

Have any of you thought about the time and devotion and money it takes to create games? Perhaps some folks should think about the ROOT problem here.

//end of rant

Thomas