Project Jetpack: game concept.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by ProjectJetpack, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ProjectJetpack

ProjectJetpack New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    #1 ProjectJetpack, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have been developing an idea for a game that will combine multiplayer, platforming gameplay (mario style), jetpacks, powerups (possibly weapons), and extremely heavy character customization. If you want more details on the game please feel free to let me know. I'm looking for opinions, feedback, and help. The game is still in the initial concept stage and since I'm a beginner at developing I am looking for help.

App Details:
    - Game will be a 2D sidescroller.
    - App may be free, with in-app purchases. (Ask me for more details.)
    - Art design to be very clean, colorful, and uses retina display.
    - The app is very multiplayer extensive.
    - App will feature a heavy 2D character customization.
    - Characters need to look like humans, but small and sprite like. (super mario style)
    - Characters can earn power-ups through the level which include gun, jetpacks, super speed, etc.
    - Users are capable of changing the look of the character. (Hats, Shirts, Shoes, Pants, Glasses, etc.)
    - Users compete online to earn credit to purchase new clothes.
    - Users are able to use in-app purchases to buy premium clothes.
    - May also include chat system.

Payment:
    - I will pay using PayPal.
    - Willing to pay developers based off app revenue only.

Thank you.

check my website: www.projectjetpack.com

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    so you are a beginner, want someone who developes your game for free and pay only something if you make a buck of youre genious idea?

great idea, good luck.. possible you should step over to this endless group of "idea men" standing in this corner there waiting for someone else todo their work.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Ok before the hate parade rains down, I wanted to share this:

http://weheartgames.com/2010/08/how-to-get-your-game-made-even-if-youre-not-a-programmer/

Chris, it looks like you are designing a pretty well thought out game. If you are serious about getting a game made, then you are going to have to work pretty hard to find a developer to work with you. The tips in that article will give some ideas for how you can better present your case. Unfortunately, since everybody has an idea for a game, being a first time game designer isn't enough these days.

Hope that helps you, it helped me!

4. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well it wasn't meant to be a hate parade.. but this is one of the most asked questions here on the board.. " i don't know jack, but i have an idea, want to make a game, but don't have any money to pay for work.. ahh and i'm twelve and wait for my mom to sign up for the iphone dev programm"

coming up with ideas is worth nothing.. i can sit down and analyze god of war and make notes and have a speadsheet an hour later ready to show my latest great idea..

this won't change the fact that i won't be able to develope such a game.

only seeing his "feature list" makes it clear that this wil be the 1000th unrealstic development prosal..

instead of trying to make a small interesting game around one! gameplay mechanic.. you always see thoose bloated lists.. the biggest great example of simple gameplay is doodle jump.

my suggestions would be to learn coding.
    take a course, buy some books fiddle around , learn something..

if coding is not youre cup of tea.. well go earn some money.. so you can pay someone for coding. you should get tiny projects done for 1-2k

be prepared to loose all the money and time you've invested.. chances are more than high that youre product will fail miserably in the appstore.

at the end one thing will be yours.. experience gained.. :)

5. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Nice blog there Bravado.

You need your programmers to be motivated because I think a lot of the fate of the quality of the game falls on the shoulder of your programmer.

I wouldn't say the idea is a total lost cause. If it's a really good idea I'd be willing to sign on as programmer as long as I get paid my fee first out of any sales revenue plus 50% of the proceeds after that.

6. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

what games did you do so faar 99c_gamer ?

7. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    I love the idea of the game. I have bookmarked your site, it sounds very interesting and I will follow it all the way if it is developed.

8. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    My only released game is called Rollatron. Dont download it though, the current version is buggy and I'm working on an update.

9. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #9 BravadoWaffle, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    @Mr.Ugly- I totally agree with you, that was no way to pitch a game. Hopefully the article will help him before he goes and does the same thing on any other forums and gets flamed into oblivion.

It's also good to scan through these and other developers forums and see what kinds of game proposals were well received, and what the designers did to make their proposal look professional.

I'm one of those for whom coding is not my cup of tea. I'm a marketer and game designer, fortunately we managed to put a very cool team together and are working on an awesome game. We'll be unveiling some screenshots soon, and I'm hoping we can make it the next Gunbound for the iPhone!

@99c_gamer- You are absolutely right about the programmers. I've managed a number of teams for internet startups, and keeping your developers happy is usually goal #1! Without them, you are dead in the water!

10. ProjectJetpack

Sep 25, 2010
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I really want to pay developers, that's why I'm seeking those who see my idea worth their time and actually wanted to be involved can help me out. I can pay for the app developer fee, that's not a problem. But I wanted to do a revenue split, and that's how the developers get paid.

11. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Out of all the possible skills you could bring to the table, game design is the least valuable. A good idea does not necessarily make a good game. Some of the most successful franchises are based on absolutely ridiculous ideas. There's this game where you play a mushroom-eating plumber who's trying to rescue a princess from a hostile turtle race, for instance. You break brick blocks with your head, you enter rooms by falling down pipes, and you tend to defeat enemies by squishing them flat. That's all pretty absurd, isn't it? But I hear the game is doing quite well...

What you need to get a game off the ground is great code, art, music, sound effects, and typically some kind of financial investment that guarantees that the people doing these things stick around. If you are serious about starting some kind of career in game development, find a way to provide more of these things. If you can't get an investment together at this point in your life, learn to code or to create assets. The more you can offer, the more seriously your pitch will be taken.

12. ProjectJetpack

Sep 25, 2010
    You guys are right, it's good to have an idea, but I do need more. I'm taking a computer programming course next semester in college. I'm actually majoring in Computer Science. I hope that in a year from now, you will all be playing Project Jetpack on your iDevice. Wish me luck!

13. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #13 originalcopy, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    You know, that's what is constantly posted over and over when the "serious, from the trenches" experienced people come down crushing any naive fool "with an awesome game idea". So basically a game is just execution. If you have enough $$ you can get a sound guy, a coder, and pixel animator guy to make a game for you. I just tell them, Make me a game, any genre, type, whatever it's popular right now. Make it like Angry Birds or Doodle whatever it's called. Oh, and put zombies on it too. Just polish the **** out of it until it shines brighter than the surface of the sun, and ship it. There's your game.