Universal Pro Strategy Football 2018 (by Pro Strategy Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DTK, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I don't think Kerry is 'against' people sharing/uploading such things - but I know that creating the game isn't his full-time job so it'd require one of the games fans to take up the gauntlet in that regard.

(I hope someone does as I think it'd be cool to see PSF fansites pop up :D )

Congrats :D

2. ProStrategyFootball

ProStrategyFootball Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Unless you go no-huddle, your team will run the clock down most of the way, and even more if you tell your players to stay inbounds. I probably should name that "Burn the clock"!

3. ProStrategyFootball

Feb 8, 2013
    First, grats!! Your life will change a little now, LOL! Our two sons are now adults (if boys are ever truly adults), one's at Texas A&M. I've loved the whole journey.

Second, as Marc said, I'd LOVE folks to share leagues, and I wish I had time to create a community site. If this catches on like I hope, then I'll be glad to look at even more community options (maybe have multiple player image sets, different ones per league?) next year!

Meanwhile, enjoy PSF 2018!

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I finally had some time to delve deeper into this game and so far I’m loving it!
    Solid contender for iOS game of the year for me.
    Good football games are almost nonexistent on the App Store (Madden Mobile is trash imo) so this is a breath of fresh air.

That being said, the game is not without problems. Some things I’ve noticed so far:

- No iPhone X support
    - There doesn’t seem to be an option to adjust/turn off sound/music
    - Ridiculous amounts of penalties, I know there is an option to turn them off but I like the realism of it so I wish there was a slider to adjust how often penalties occur, kinda like Madden has
    - Too many big special team plays, long returns and Kick/Punt return TDs seem to happen WAY too often
    - Field Goal percentage seems just a bit low (maybe my kicker is just bad, idk)

These are just minor complaints (except iPhone X support, man I really want that :D) and nothing that can’t be patched.

All in all a great game for anyone who likes football.

5. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I'm so close to buying this. If some of these issues are addressed (yes, especially music toggle!), I'll jump in. Always on the hunt for a good, coaching football game. Fingers crossed.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Loving this. Just finished my third season. Love seeing the season by season stats of players.

Only minor criticism is too many games finish 41-38 etc. Would like a few 27-10 type games

But well worth the money

7. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I’d say go for it.
    This is a great game if you’re into football manager/ coaching games and its not like there are any alternatives on iOS.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly. It’s a great game. If everyone stayed on the fence for these very cheap games (a few dollars !) then devs would go out of business. The more sales this guy gets helps

Best NFL simulation game on ios

9. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Money is not the issue with me. I'd pay this or more for a solid coaching game. But if there are problems that will keep me from playing it, including an irritating lack of music toggle, then I've simply wasted my money. However, when a developer listens to his or her customers and issues are addressed, I'm all in. So, I'm probablly all in for this one. ;) Just thought I'd wait a bit in order to hear the dev's future plan.

10. ProStrategyFootball

Feb 8, 2013
    Audio toggle

Hey, guys, click on Settings (or Menu->Settings if you're in a game) and check out the various tabs. On the Experience tab, you can turn "Play Music" on and off. Also, over the course of a season, the percentage of penalties has always been pretty much dead on, but you might run into some bad streaks.

That said, I'm always working on improving the game, so if you continue to find penalties or anything else to be unrealistic, let me know, and I'll take care of it.

BTW, be assured the AI never cheats or anything like that. It looks at the situation, your playcalling in the current game, and the personnel (and its team's coach's tendencies). So if you lose (or win) in the last seconds, enjoy it, because it's as real as it gets!

Thanks, I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

11. ProStrategyFootball

Feb 8, 2013
    Great points, thanks!
    - I use cocos2d-x, which limited me on devices, but I'll dig into iPhone X support
    - I keep tweaking the realism, including penalties, special teams, and FGs each year, so keep an eye on it to see if those hold true over time. If so, I need to know, thanks! This year, for example, I responded to folks who said that last year's top QBs were about 4 percentage points too good. After running several seasons, I think I got it in line with real stats now.

Thanks much!

12. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    and... SOLD. #

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    In one of the last versions PSF 2016 I got up to about 25 seasons ! You start getting tough decisions on when you bench or retire your old QB who has led you to the super bowl years back.

Also all the year by year of career stats are just brilliant

14. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I found the option to turn off sound and music now, sorry I have no idea how I missed that.

Regarding penalties yes it could be that I just hit a bad streak and they go both ways so the AI gets penalized too but I wish there was an option to just lower the amount of penalties, not turn them off completely.

15. ProStrategyFootball

Feb 8, 2013
    That's a nice idea, I'll look into that for next year. I could easily lower or raise by some amount that you set (maybe 1 to 5%?).

16. Ch3st3r

Ch3st3r Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Germany
    Are there any plans for different languages?

17. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Man oh man, the more I play this game the more I’m convinced that this is the game of the year for me.

Just now I had an incredibly tense match where I had a missed extra point, after that a blocked extra point, a missed field goal from 20 yards, penalty after penalty that gave my opponent crucial 1st downs, 2 lost fumbles and a safety scored against me, then I managed to win with 3 seconds left on a 75 yard Hail Mary.

Thats why I love this game. ANYTHING can happen just like in the real NFL.

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, this is the best NFL sim since the first version (2011 if i'm not wrong), its complexity is mind-blowing for every real football fan, mostly in this latest installment. congrats to this dev, excellent work!

btw, i would like to have a file with real players names, numbers, etc, is there something like that out there?

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Wow, the first year I didn’t buy the game because my wife and I just welcomed our daughter into the world and all my money now needs to go to dialoers and baby stuff.

Congrats to the developer who I must say listened as year 1 I inquire about changing names and shared Information on how Konami Pro Evolution Soccer series for game console allowed for user created teams including logos, colors etc...

While this isn’t as deep as that it does allow us to play with “real teams or players” etc....

Maybe next year I’ll get to begin gaming more!

20. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Ditto on the real teams/players. Not an easy thing to accomplish, but would be oh, so appreciated.
    Loving this game. Finally got the football sim I've been looking for (Madden sure ain't it). I look forward to seeing this continue to grow.