iPad Price volatility in the app store

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GatorDeb, Feb 27, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #1 GatorDeb, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    Price volatility in the app store.

Discuss.

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    What about ones on sale for two that will go up to five and the app is christmasy with presents?
    ;)

3. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    It would be better for me if I were with you, but I JUST CAN'T DO IT! ;)

4. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Not me! By refusing to spend more for games we are cutting ourselves off from better content being developed for the app store.

Price drops don't really bother me, if I liked the game enough to spend XXX cents in it to begin with it doesn't really matter if the price drops after the fact. And I have benifeted numerous times from price drops, so meh - win some lose some.

5. hirschy75

hirschy75 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm for sure not. That's a horrible plan...
    Just saying

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I alsow can't do it ;).
    It's just soooo hard not to buy apps from the appstore.
    Somehow you always see something you REALY want.

7. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well my problem is I buy too much so I have so many apps left unplayed - The Quest, Virtual Villagers, Sim City, Scrabble, Uno, the find objects games, word find, etc. etc.

8. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I'm NOT in! I will continue to only buy games if the price fits what I want, whatever that price may be.

I do my research and read reviews and watch videos. If the game is worth $5 and I want it for $5, then it doesn't matter if the price drops. I wanted it for $5 and I chose that. Who cares what others get it for?

But that being said, there's nothing wrong with waiting if you want to see if there's a price drop.

9. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I can understand people saying "I'm spending too much in the app store", but personally I'm more than happy to pay $10 for an app if I think it's worth it. (I've payed $20 for a few, and they've been worth it!). As always, it's buyer beware - make sure that you've researched the purchase, check AppShopper to see how new it is, if it's gone down in price before (it will again!), etc.

Other than that, just remind yourself that you were willing to pay $? for the game, and were (hopefully) happy with it. Missing a sale doesn't make it less valuable! :)

I'm pretty against an "ALL GAMES MUST BE $1" movement - I really think that you'll see nothing but a drastic decline in the quality & scope of games if this takes hold. And fwiw, I'm really liking the quality & scope that the app store has brought out in NEW devs, that otherwise wouldn't exist if PS3 & XBOX were the only platforms! I say, SUPPORT THE DEVS! (You can choose which ones are worthy of our support, and which ones aren't.)

(Oh, and you know that karma is going to kick you in the a$$! :eek:)

10. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I don't have enough money to have that problem... wish I did. :)

11. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    :confused:

12. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Usually I'm willing to spend more than a buck if I feel that it's really deserving... there actually are exceptional games out there, at least for me. But I do like your one dollar mentality, it's just that the developers also worked hard on their games so I guess in the end it's all up to you to decide whether or not a game is worth your money (price drop or no price drop). Like for example if you purchase a future classic, I'm sure it's really gonna be worth it regardless of the price :)

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Personally a lot of 59p app's I buy never get played more then a few times, where a content filled game for a few £ more stays on my device and get's played.

So i'm the complete other way around, but mind you I won't jump in blind to buy a £3 app, i'm not that silly :p

14. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................who cares what you do.

If a game is worth it and if i want to have it, i'm more than happy to pay a higher price for it.

Why should i bother, when the price goes down? Price drops are almost certainly a sign that the app is not selling well. Usually i feel sorry for the developer and i'm glad to have supported this guy with a fair payment.

But maybe i'm just not such a cheap bastard like many other people.

15. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I stopped purchassing expensive games already. Mostly just 1 or 2 dollar apps now. I found out that the iPhone is just a casual gaming device for me and I get most of my serious gaming needs from the PC or Xbox 360.

16. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I like when a game is cheap, but I prefer quality. There are some awesome deals like idracula which combines quality and good price. I guess my problem is when you buy an app full price and two week later it drops the price. When the Appstore open I wasted some money on some crappy apps. Now, I wait for reviews.

I am not going to limit myself blindly to ,99 cents. I am very happy I paid $20 for beatmaker, or 9,99 for Hero of Sparta for example. We just need a good combination of quality and price.

17. Alf101

Alf101 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    #17 Alf101, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    The amazing worlds we live in

All I can say is WOW seems like some people just don’t think…..In order for more games to come out and by more I am talking about GOOD ones you will need to spend more that $0.99. If all you want are crap game go right ahead ban the games over $0.99 (there are some good $.0.99 games out) but do not expect to get any thing good. Wail some do drop to that price you really need to keep in mind it takes time to make a game and a lot goes in to them.

To start a thread with “I'm never buying another game over $1” is just dumb.
    People just don’t make sense sometimes. Think about it you go out and pick up a X360, PS3, Wii game for $30-$60 or even a PSP game for $20-$30 that you play for a short time then it sits on a shelf and some how you have no issues spending that kind of money for them. Yet you see a game on an ipod or iphone for over $0.99 and you freak out…GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

And no I am not a developer and do not work for any game company I am just makeing a point.

18. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Obviously you did, since you clicked on the thread, quoted, and left a reply.

19. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    This is a ridiculous idea. If everyone does this ... soon there won't be any games WORTH over 99c. It's economics. Why make a worthwhile game if it's not going to sell?

I get the sentiment - it sucks getting burned, but the only reason people are having to lower prices is because of this very attitude that apps have to cost a few bucks. It sucks and will ruin the appstore.

20. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Aww Debs, don't make developers cry. We TA ladies should support each other. And I'm a TA lady with a few $1.99 apps out, all of which are awesome. Which brings me to...

Little Red Sled! Yes, $1.99 for now. And there's nothing Christmasy about it, IBITF. If you think snow and bunnies and fir trees and red power-ups are Christmasy, well, those are your own personal issues. We just wanted to make a totally non-seasonal game that's fun all year round ;)

Hehe.

Thanks to everyone who is ok paying full price. You are the reason why we bother making games. And yes, if a price goes down, it's not because a developer suddenly decided to screw with you personally. It's because *they're not making enough money.* Plain and simple. If developers don't make enough money to do this job full time, they won't keep making those games y'all love so much.

So thanks again to everyone who buys games. We love you all :)