iPad Price Drops Galore...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MarkEightThree, Nov 25, 2008.

1. MarkEightThree

MarkEightThree Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    Seems like a lot of big apps are dropping in price for the upcoming weekend. The big question is which of these are worth picking up?

Speedburst 99c
    Cro-Mag Rally 99c
    Bugdom 99c
    Billy Frontier 99c
    Spore Origins $5.99
    Tetris $5.99
    Scrabble $5.99
    Yahtzee $2.99

I already have Crash Nitro Kart but I can't ever get myself to play it. At 99c, should I grab Cro-Mag Rally? And what about Tetris? Are the controls too frustrating to drop the 6 bucks on it?

2. i'm scheming on scrabble now

i really wish this was linked to pixie scrabble

3. oh, and quick draw

i wanna know if they're going to add more things to draw, though :[

4. MarkEightThree

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    Sorry I should have given my own thoughts!

Avoid Bugdom. I picked it up at 99c and didn't like it at all. Not even worth grabbing at that price in my opinion.

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Tetris is one of the easiest games to control. Not to mention it is 10000000x better than Tris

I recommend

Tetris (EXTREMELY underrated, and buried by people whining about EA, or the price)

Scrabble (for any kind of Scrabble fan. It is a breeze to control as well.)

Nanosaur (if you can mind the save feature, which I thought they would transfer from Bugdom 2)

Cro-Mag is not nearly as good as Crash Nitro Kart... The only fun stage is the Atlantis level IMO

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

oooh..Spore...Spore...Spore....not

too bad NFS, Sim City, and Monopoly aren't released to experience this black friday goodness

im not really swayed into purchasing any of those games

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No, do not buy Spore lol... Good game, but you play it once

8. MarkEightThree

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    I think I'm going to grab Tetris then. I know everyone complains about Billy Frontier but is it not even worth the buck?

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    In Swedens this is still at full price!
    Curse you EA!

10. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #10 istopmotion, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    Definitely worth getting:
    Cro Mag Rally
    *Maybe* Yahtzee

Um... I don't really recommend this one, but it is fun once in a while:
    Spore - You'll either hate or love the game. It's only got 30 levels though

The game that I don't see how anyone can like is Billy Frontier. It's just not fun.. The graphics are OK, but it's just stupid!

[EDIT] And I definitely think you should get Bugdom. Bugdom used to be my favorite game on my Mac wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when the first one came out. I had no trouble buying this game because I knew I'd love it. BUT!!! It's not a game that you can just pick up and play for 5 minutes. It's a FULL game that will take you LOTS of hours playing to finish. It'll take you about an hour to an hour and a half to finish one level. SO, it's DEFINITELY worth the $1 but only if you know that it's not a short game for quick rides on the bus or something.

Oh, and if you really like scrabble, get it. I used to play scrabble online with my parents all the time, so I bought this and sometimes we like to play this one across wifi. :)

11. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Did you play it before or after the "save" update? I am considering buying it. What didn't you like about it?

Anyone have any opinions on Nanosaur?

12. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, very very good game. Needs the Bugdom-ish save feature though. An absolute steal at 99 cents

13. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    0.99 is certainly a pricepoint at which I'd buy a couple of games if they get discounted for this weekend. However, the games by Pangea have had too much mixed reviews in my opinion, so I'll wait and see if there are more discounts around the corner. (And if not, that's OK, I still have lots of games I didn't properly play until the end!)

14. CosmoMan

CosmoMan Active Member

Nov 25, 2008
    The Pangea games are probably the highest quality iphone games out there, especially Nanosaur. A buck is a steal for any of those for sure!

15. MarkEightThree

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    I guess at 99c it's not the biggest gamble, but I just didn't find Bugdom's controls to be much fun. I'm still waiting for a dev to use controls similar to that of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for DS. I have to give it to them though, the game is really polished and has a complete feel to it, as opposed to most iPhone/touch titles which are more like tech demos.

16. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    the problem i have with pangea's software is the basics of a complete iphone game.

the help/instructions redirect you to their website by opening safari. you're a big company for chrissakes and cannot provide me instructions on the native app??!!! :mad:

second, no instructions per level. how simple is it to indicate tutorials for a couple of seconds? it's like they dump you in the game and everybody should be this gaming master to think of what to do.

17. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #17 ravenvii, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    Fools, you missed Ambrosia's games!

mondo Solitaire for $0.99! Instant BUY for me! YES!

I also snapped up Tetris, been waiting for it to drop in price forever! Goodbye Tris, you've been good to me, but your time's up. :D :D :D

EDIT: Jesus H. Christ! mondo Solitaire sucks! So slow, the cards are hard to read, and the controls suck!

Waste of 99 cents! Thank god I didn't pay the full price on this crap!

Solitaire City for the win! *Waits for the Solitaire City guys to drop the price*

18. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Are you kidding??!?! Or maybe everyone else here is wrong about Pangea games except you. LOL.

19. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Scoops is on sale just like the big boys! ($0.99) And it has a 4.7 avg rating with 236 reviews.

20. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I think CosmoMan is partially right. Pangeas games have great graphics and production value. Compared to the other crap in the appstore these "feel" like real games.
    This doesn't say anything about gameplay though. So far the only pangea game i could really enjoy was enigmo. The others are plagued by bad controls, bad camera and an atrocious save system.