previously slow framerate games revitalized on the iphone 3g S

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Phi6, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #1 Phi6, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    Not 100% if anyone has posted a similar thread, but I did a quick search on slow framerate and nothing came up.

Anyway, now that the 3G S has been released, I'm frantically testing all those old games that used to have slow framerate which basically made them unplayable. On the new processor/GPU, they run much smoother than before!

Here's two that I've tested:

Katamari

Crash Kart

Both run much better than before, and that makes them 100% more enjoyable!

Anyone want to add others?

2. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#2 sticktron, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    Brothers In Arms / Terminator Salvation
    Try these on the new 3G-S, it's a whole new ballgame (IMO)... the controls are so fluid and responsive now, the games are much more enjoyable.

PS. I don't know why you would list Crash Kart.... it was one of the first games I got for the iPod Touch (1st Gen), and I beat all the levels without any slowdown problems.

3. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    What about all those FPS (some free) that have horrible framerates?

4. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Yea, i heard [app]Cube[/app], the most unresponsive acceleromoter controls ever, works perfenctly fine

5. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Terminator Salvation was always fine to me, but it's awesome that the 3GS is out now, I might have to buy one myself.

6. cjb43

cjb43 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Can someone post a video of Katamari on the 3GS?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed on Katamari -- it was unplayable on my 1st Gen iPhone, now it runs great (though there's still a tiny stutter in the "growing" sequences.

Pandemonium also runs great -- the animation is fluid and the controls are much more responsive.

Just as dramatic is the change in Pirate Wings -- a personal favorite, though not as well known in the forums. On the 3GS it has become a near-platform quality adventure/racing game -- definitely worth picking up.

8. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    In my experience, Hudson’s Aqua Forest was the worst offender when it came to frame rate. I can’t say whether it’s been fixed, as I've yet to upgrade.

9. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Oh of course, I beat it too, but as I recall on 2 levels there are framerate problems. Just aesthetics really, but it's so much better now.

10. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    It's pretty much faster and more responsive so yea it works good before but now it's like heaven

11. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Over at MacRumors, there is a video comparing a roller coaster sim between the 3G and the 3G S. The difference is amazing! This is on an old game without the developers optimizing the graphics for the new hardware.

12. defaude

defaude Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Peggle: the rainbowlike spring after fewer has ended and ball is in a 10k/50k/100k slot, comes faster and looks smoother/faster animated, also the big high score animation in the middle is faster

Sim City - moving the map is snappier

Real Racing - much smoother, also light effects look a bit better

Crash Kart - can confirm much better framerate, the course on the space station is finally playable :D

Tux Rider - was extrem laggy on 3G, super smooth now and faster game speed on 3G S, finally stearable the pinguin

BIA & Terminator - can confirm much better framerate and better aiming

Otto Matic - game runs super smooth now, character is because of the fluid experience much better controllable

Hero of sparta - on 3G choppy, now smooth, the better light effects someone mentioned/gussed in an other thread here on TA about the announcement of the 3G S, are not visible

Katamari - can confirm much better and fluid framerate, only exception as mentioned is pick up of some new objects, when a sub window on screen appears with object name, then it's still very choppy

Solar Quest - much smoother now, should say, finally fluid experience, on 3G always too choppy

13. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Dark Hill. It plays much much better on my 3gs compared to my first gen.

14. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    My game CastleGuard2 got a beatdown for bad framerates on the iPhone. If you happen to notice it, would love to hear!

15. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    I'll have my 3G S later on this week -

but have read that Pinball Dreams runs at a butter smooth 60 fps.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Smooth as butter, though there seems to be a bit of a problem in the light rendering -- sometimes, when you turn, the background seems too bright.

17. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I'll be upgrading to a 3G , but it's unfortunate for those who don't upgrade that devs wil probably not bother to optimize for the 3G anymore.

"It's a bit choppy, but let's submit it, it'll probably run fine on the 3G ."

Wolfenstein 3D and Real Racing prove the framerate achievable on the 3G if the game is optimized enough.

Anyway, I don't really care, I'll get a 3G , and I do understand how hard it is for devs to extract Real Racing performance from the original hardware. I just love this platform!

:)

18. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Sonic the hedgehog, and golden axe

No framerate problems, controls very responsive, they now become excellent working ports!

Once 3G S becomes jailbroken, we'll be able to substitute the rom files and we'll have a 100% full speed megadrive emulator with 3 buttons (using golden axe)