Prevail - Open universe game - by Johnny Two Shoes - DEV BLOG (Plunderland creators)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by joshsslade, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

wow! these new sreenshots look awesome. really can't wait for this game I'm sure it's gonna be as fun as it looks.

2. joshsslade

joshsslade Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Thanks guys, great to hear you are into it.

Well we are trying to get fun things to do in each aspect of the game - running around new planets, combat, flying spacecraft, driving vehicles or whatever it may be.

We spent a long time building the Prevail game engine, every thing is written by us. So we are trying to take advantage of its features with nice gameplay.

Also beyond the main mission based gameplay we want to have a lot of freedom and fun things people can mess around with, find their own way of having fun in the game. Something that isn't in many iPhone games and we want to provide.

3. TaiyrTress

TaiyrTress Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Gaming? Or something cool. :)
    Unicorn fun park.
    I can't wait for this! >.<

4. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Awesome, Cant wait for people to play!

5. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    looks great!
    ETA would be too much? :)

6. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Thanks! What is it you are looking forward to in the game? Would be cool to know what features people are excited about?

All I can say is early next year, we are still working getting the adventure and nuanced interaction balanced with combat and action, always something good to do, but freedom too. If you want to enjoy and experience a new planet or fly around shooting space pirates.

7. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    What I would like to see.
    It says it's an open universe, it would be cool if you can make it more GTA\Fable like,
    Choices you do effect the world, you need to collect 6 fruits, okay?
    You can steel them from the local shop, actually collect them from the forest,
    Rob a poor maid who picked them up, destroy the orchid with a bulldozer etc.
    Steal a cab (or cab like transport) and move around from different plants collecting people.
    Have like a derby where you can do tricks with off road vehicles I loved it on GTA San andreas..

Lots of guns, and melee weapons and upgrades, secret secondary missions..

That's all for now, tell me what you think :)

BTW you are definitely going the right direction by listening to the customers :)

I think, since it's open world, a freemuim or a 0.99 price would be fair since you can make a lot of IAP for money to progress faster in the game..

8. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Yeah this is cool, ill prioritise some of my work to get some of this stuff in early. Just good to get an Idea of what people expect, deliver on that to a level but also do some new things people dont expect.

Thanks for your feedback, I should add a taxi mini game in from the city, random planets and customers. Could be a fun little way to make some bucks in the game

9. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm not sure if this would be in the game or if it's even I good ideal but it would be cool if you could fly your space ship in space in between planets and be able to put weapons on it. Than you could have battles with other space ships and shot astroids. I know it's like a side view but I always thought it would be cool to switch perspectives in a game. Like when you are in space it would be top down like space miner and you would go to a planet and it would be the perspective of the screenshots we have seen. I don't expect to see that in the game but just think that would be cool. To be honest though im pretty confident in what you will do with the game and just can't wait to play.

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Love the taxi idea. One thing I used to love from gta was if you get into a taxi you could actually sit back and watch the whole journey (if your a passenger)

One thing I'd like to know: are the physics the same or similar to how they are in plunderland? (I love those physics)

So am I right in thinking this is going to be a 2D exploration game? Kind of like galaxy on fire'ish, flying around the galaxy landing on different planets and having a wonder around.

11. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Yeah that was cool, there are moments in this game where AI characters take you places. Maybe I should add a taxi for if you get stranded, that or a spaceship drop off.

Glad to hear, yeah I wrote the physics engine in Plunderland and Ive made a better one for this game, we are trying to retain its feel but push it further.

Yeah its an exploration game with a narrative to progress the game

12. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Taxi missions are in

I made randomly generated taxi mission for the player, customers and destination are randomly generated. ITS DONE!

Should make for some funny moments of delivering or picking up a client who is in a hostile environment. No doubt lots of funny moments will spur from the AI interactions.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sounding like good stuff. So if the missions are randomly generated does this mean we could technically play for ever?

14. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Not all missions are randomly generated, the story/main missons are purpose made to progress gameplay and explore planets, find out their relationships and how to find your missing people, from your home planet

15. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    How many planets will there be? Will they all be mostly the same size or will they differ?

16. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    In the first release there are 9 main planets in the first galaxy, but then future galaxies will come in updates adding to the universe.

Planets can be 10 times the size of the planets youve seen so far, some will have unique properties, we have a few funny and interesting ideas for planets, stuff we havent seen in games before.

Updates will even add new features that make the game even more fun, moulded by players feedback.

Can we have more driving missions?
    Id like to see more wildlife planets.
    More combat sections etc

Our vision of the game but also knowing people get what they enjoy, in a way that fits the games style.

17. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Was trying to enjoy a picnic...

[​IMG]

18. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    That sounds great! So excited for this can't wait.

19. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    So your back

So JTS is back. Nice. I am a big fan of Plunderland. Got it the exact second it came out. The only this I was dissapointed with was the depth. The gameplay was great the concept was beyond great the creativity was excellent but it left you wanting to see much more of it. Happy to hear this one will be deeper as expandable. Of course I will get this one the second it comes out. Any rough time frame? Hope it comes out as great as it sounds and looks. You guys had some great talent showing in Plunderland but from the sound of this game it will give you guys lots more ability and room to really show what you got. Hope to play it soon. And keep on making unique games. There are way to many done a million times type games on the App store lately we need more and more original Devs like you guys. You guys and F.M the brothers behind Bug Heroes and B.H Quest and Mad Chef are two of the most unique Game makers.

20. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Thanks, great to hear you appreciate our creative efforts, trying to do something different.

Yeah I think the same about Plunderland, Im really pleased with what we managed to do with it but in the end we pushed our dev skills. Also given it ran on all devices, that limited the scope of gameplay.

But with this new game I went in designing the engine from scratch to suit more content and depth. This new concept has so much potential its been a lot of work to get it to this stage hehe, but its coming together well now. Certainly a very different iPhone game to whats out there.