Universal Prevail (by JohnnyTwoShoes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by joshsslade, Jan 28, 2017.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Games have launched with bugs and a clunky UI before, that isn't particularly strange. I just can't get over the App Store description. A veteran developer (/one that has released a game before) doesn't launch a title that is five years in the making with a four word description, that just doesn't happen. Even stranger is the fact the dev actually posted it himself - surely you'd notice such a glaring mistake on the launch on your game (on a Saturday, no less)?

It just doesn't make sense. Waiting on word from the developer before I truly judge this critically, but like man this is strange.

Either way, would love to hear from anyone who has taken the plunge what they think of the gameplay beyond the issues on the surface. Is it as ambitious as the years of marketing have suggested it is? The stills and preview trailers from before look fun, at the very least!

2. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    How does it look on the iPhone? My iPad mini has iOS 9 too. So my only option is for now is the 6.

3. loox

loox Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    iPad Air 2, iOS 10.2.1, not jail broken...

Hitting "play" then all I see is a blank white screen. Tried restarting with no luck.
    Hitting "tutorial" just takes you to a YouTube channel with tutorial videos

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    All the previous games are published under "Glitchers Ltd". I had Plunderland bought through Johnny Two Shoes, afterwards it was removed from the App Store, and now it appears under Glitchers Ltd in my purchase history. My guess is that they separated and made two different companies, and they transferred apps to the new one.

Beyond the issues and silly bugs, I think the game is very enjoyable. Nonetheless, I also believe that during the 5 years of development, the project has been on hold a lot. I remember several years ago reading that the main problem was getting the story mode to work out well. Now it's published without story mode.

If I had to compare situations, I'd put it in the same box as Star Command, which promised a lot and in the end was a good game, but nothing to do with the original promise. Or even Topia, a world builder which ended up being more of a tech demo than a game.

If you ask me if I enjoy it beyond the silly bugs, my answer is yes, a lot. I just hope that it gets ironed out.

5. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    I messaged the slade brothers on twitter only 2 people make this game so that is why it takes 5 years to get it done. I am sure they will be on here they always chat about stuff on here. Also facebooked em lol.

6. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I'm in the same boat. At least waitin for details from Dev here. Really want to play this, but would rather wait for polish, version correction, lower iOS version support (which it is obviously capable of), etc... Once these are addressed I will smash that buy button so hard!

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    If you get the black screen bug, go into the inventory menu, press "save", quit game and reboot. You'll be with all the items you had and where you left it, but with the graphics correct.

At the moment I'm destroying spaceships, which makes a bunch of space police come and shoot at me. I destroy them and take their weapons and ammo, lol. I also collect resources from planets and process them to get money.

I've been able to buy the jetpack, which makes moving around the planet much more enjoyable. What I'd love is some kind of objective, missions to take, or something similar. Even if it was just a "deliver this package to planet A" or "kill alien on planet B".

All in all, I don't regret the purchase. And there's nothing similar in the App Store.

8. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Has is been confirmed that this is the real game and not a scam as some posters believed? Has the dev been communicating at all? It does seem strange there's no description and the size is so small.

9. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    The game runs fine on my iPad Pro 9.7 after Many reinstalls
    Black space bug ether A close game out and reboot
    Or B reinstall (worked for me)
    The white screen bug is a lag issue my iPod 6 does the white screen for maybe 30 secs to a min then it loads in but still it's laggy on a 1gb device oddly ..
    My iPad gets no sound besides the logo effect at start nor can I turn in sound ..
    The games tutorial doesn't go very far the taxi was the last tutorial I got x.x
    It is kinda ...boring ..
    Like we go around collecting a few items, go through space to get to maybe at most 20 planets collect more items process for money ..can't build a house no missions I don't know..I'm ready to refund when I get my email it's buggy as all heck I gotta worry if that black space bug will show back up I've had to reinstall many times to fix it ..no missions nothing to do heck Junk Jack or Terraria is worth the 5$ not this ..this is a 3/4$ game maybe ...on top of that the fear of it being a fake kinda worry me ...

10. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    That alone, will keep me from hitting the buy button. For now, at least.

11. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    People saying this game fake its been in development for 5 years can't see this being latest build

12. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Well if a confirm comes from the real Devs that it's real then I won't refund but for now seeing others saying that it's odd that it came out with little description and it's from the real dev (which I still don't get why that's bad) it's buggy like beta buggy, I do many beta tests and it feels like a beta game ..few lags here and there among the major bugs I listed ..if it's a accidentally release ... THATS EVEN WORSE ...you can't get a refund and your gonna have to pay again! I seen those accidental games and boy I hope I didn't buy one, this idea alone is gonna push me to get a refund cause I won't buy the game again ..
    We really need some info wish the Devs would speak up ..
    It's a neat game but 5$ seems so little content much bugs and issues then anything ..

13. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #73 Dailon80, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    I took the plunge too
    Not worried about refunds at this point because it's listed under the real dev name and not a persons name like most fakes. I think the wrong build got put up this wouldn't be the first time I have seen that happen. So I'm gonna hang tight and hope for a new build or fix before I start refunding because I do feel it's the legit dev. Risk worth taking so hope it pays off.
    Also last two times I tried to refund I didn't get the refund so screw it
    I knew I was taking a risk and so I will have to accept what happens

14. reverand79

reverand79 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Reading the comments with tremendous amusement. You guys talk about "taking the plunge" with such gravity and trepidation more akin to buying a car or a house. This is app priced at less then a happy meal at mc dicks. Not hating at all you guys are awesome... and very, very amusing. ##

15. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    I also find it odd that they have not said it's out on there Facebook or twitter. Being the 2 brothers who have taken 5 years to make this you would think they would be on here hyping it up as they do normally like they did with plunderland. They are proud of there work. I think this is a pre final build release. Not even a description, 2 pictures this is unlike them.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #76 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    The upcoming games' thread was created by user "joshsslade" nearly six years ago. He was the same user to announce the game was finished on the 6th January and the availability of the game yesterday.

I don't think at all it's a fake release. What I really think is that something weird happened between "Johnny Two Shoes" and "Glitchers Ltd" which ended up in having all the games' rights transferred from JTS to Glitchers. This affected production of Prevail and ended up having the game enter a development halt for a long time. In the end, the game code was getting dust and devs decided to finish it as good as they could and publish it instead of delaying it ad eternum.

Quite possibly it was published under Johnny Two Shoes instead of Glitchers because whatever happened didn't affect the Prevail IP. All this chaotic situation (or whatever you want to call it), along with the evidence of the lack of screenshots and the 4-word app description, not to mention that the link to the official developer's web page takes you to a 403 forbidden page, makes me think they ended up publishing a beta build instead of the final one. I haven't played too many betas, but I've played some, and this game as it is feels like a final beta to make the last polishes before publishing.

Their Facebook page is kinda weird too. They publish on par with here, and then they don't post too much. There's something here we're missing... Maybe something happened between the two brothers... They argued or something similar.

17. reverand79

reverand79 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    After getting burned by the defunct bioshock app I understand the apprehension. It's the gravity used in the language that cracks me up. Whenever I buy a game on the mobile platform it feels a lot like rolling the dice... sad its comes to that really.

18. libtroll

libtroll Member

Nov 13, 2014
    The icon looks like cartoon arms covering his nuts

19. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    lol!

20. reverand79

reverand79 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    That's a really hairy sac... this app needs a barber not a patch fix!