Universal Prevail (by JohnnyTwoShoes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by joshsslade, Jan 28, 2017.

1. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    I only came back on the forum to watch out for this. Really sad news, but I know what it's like to have a mental illness. I have depression and I'm on anti depressants and my mum is schizophrenic so I know what it is like.

I just hope that one day it will get finished.
    But thanks for letting us know..

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    When I requested a refund for another game, they asked me about the reasons for a refund. If I wanted to ask for a refund for Prevail, I'd say something the most similar to "game is not final, it's in beta stage and very buggy: overlapped texts in main menu, black screens, many crashes, etc. The developer even removed it from sale because of this". Hope this helps

3. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I don't want a refund. I waited years for this game and I am happy to pay for it, even if it's not the complete vision. I wish Josh the best and hope he chimes in soon. This feels like the type of game that would do well with a Kickstarter.

4. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #224 IOSgamer1980, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    I'm going to echo the people pledging to buy Prevail again, who didn't already, to support Josh. As someone who has recently just begun seeking the help of a counselor, I have a lot of sympathy. In my case I think I've always had the issues that I have had, but the past few months I've just taken one or two hits that pushed me over the edge and once you're past a certain point it's impossible to get back to a functional footing without support or help. I think the best thing that can happen is for people to use this thread to send more positive energy and encouragement Josh's way. With so many mental illnesses one of the symptoms is a lack of faith in other people which translates into thinking people regard you negatively in some way (they don't like me/he thinks I'm an idiot/she doesn't believe in me/etc) and the only thing that can make these and other negative thoughts go away is validation.

While I haven't played Prevail yet, I can't really offer that myself. But I can point out that the core concepts, presentation, and game mechanics in their current form have gotten a lot of positive feedback in this thread. For an "unfinished" game, that's quite something. Hopefully Josh connects his sense of self worth to the apparent brilliance and craftsmanship inherent in this game and finds the strength from that connection to not only fully realize his game's potential but to also improve the entirety of his life.

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    But the thing is that the money won't be sent to Josh or Max as their account isn't connect to their bank (it was written in the interview) so the money will go to Apple only I think.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It just sits there until you do something with it, kind of like having a balance in your PayPal account. Apple doesn't just take it if you don't claim it. ;)

7. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Ok I'm glad to hear that, it would have been so sad otherwise.

8. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I would gladly donate to a go fund me

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Same here.

10. maxscottslade

maxscottslade New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Game Design Director
    London, UK
    Hey guys,

Definitely an interesting response around Prevail. Thanks for all the kind words.

At the moment I would be uncomfortable taking any money without having a solid plan in place to support your funds to go into the development of the game, at this stage Josh is unable to make those changes, hopefully in the not so distant future.

As much as possible I will try to answer any of your questions about the game if you want to talk about that, our plans were very bold with Prevail and I can share a lot of artwork if anyone wants anything related to that.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks a lot Max for your response. Maybe when Josh and/or you are ready and you've closed all the projects you're working on, you could get Prevail sort of "finished". Obviously, from the very bold plans you had to reality there's possibly a big gap, and time doesn't allow for more, but having played this Prevail beta (I think we can call it a beta, right?) I think that with some touches, polishes and a few things added, it would be much better than many things I've seen in the App Store.

Anyway, first things first. My words are just an idea for the future :)

12. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I find it somewhat odd that you guys wouldn't scoop this game up and finish it on behalf of your brother, it's practically there -- especially after seeing how much people liked the unfinished release. Seems like a goldmine you're passing up.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've been following Prevail since the very beginning. In my opinion the problem is the scope: they wanted to do a lot in the game. I'd say the current version is a 25% of the aimed objective. I think that with 35% of the scope it would be a great game, but it would be just a 35% of the original idea, and I'm not sure Max and Josh want that. I don't know if you get my point.

14. Talxn

Talxn Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    This makes sense to me. I'd love to see the 35% come back refined as a smaller experience. Then keep updating it over time. I had planned to submit it to ProductHunt which would have got it exposure but it was removed before I could.

15. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    I would rather see the game finished than having a game that is only 35% finished.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm not talking about 35% finished, I'm talking about a 35% of the original scope, but always a finished game.

17. jmonett

jmonett Active Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Hi has there been any future plan or progress for the future of Prevail?

18. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I recommend you give this thread a read, specially the last 5 pages, and you'll get a general idea of where this game's progress is. There's nothing new aside from what you can read here.