Pre-Order Apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by hdgreen, May 25, 2009.

?

Should we be able to pre-order Apps

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

you should be able to pre-order apps/games like you can with films and music etc...

What do you guys think?

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Why? There isn't limited supply, so what is the point in preorder?

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I haven't really played any apps that've knocked my socks off. They're their for fun. Play 'em whatever. You don't pick a little time slot of your life to play them. They don't generate enough hype (except here, maybe), to justify pre-ordering them. GTA IV, Super Smash Brawl, CoD are understandable. Mario Kart was sold out for freakin' forever. I got tired and never even got to play. Besides, like Brewcy said, there's no limited supply. It's digital. I pre-ordered the Deluxe version of 21st Century Breakdown, and realized after downloading it how pointless that act was. Especially considering how much i sucked.

4. brewstermax

I also don't get preordering music on iTunes. It does add bonus tracks, and perhaps preordering here could add some DLC with 3.0 if you preorder, but I still don't see any sort of point. And why preorder when you can camp out? lulz.

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah maybe pre-ordering would get you extra content. That way sales line up before it's even released and companies don't have to worry about users having money at the time it's released. And impulse buys can have you sucked in to spend your money sooner. Although that could lead to false assumptions of the game before it's out and a lot more let-downs for people.

Or if pre-ordering got you the app early, that'd be cool. Like a day early or something. :cool:

6. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

the reason i suggested it is that you hear about all these apps that are coming out like Sims 3 and like Zenonia before today. If you could pre-order them then one used know they were on their way because you'd be able to pre-order them and two you'd have the app automatically download onto ur ipod or your computer the first time you turn them on when its released which means you don't have to go looking.

Also it helps smaller developers with pre-release revenue and know a sort of small guide as to how popular the app will be. And they could offer free content for those who didnt want to wait around like limited addition versions with extra unlockables in the app or something depending on the app.

7. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    If you're too lazy too type in a couple words into a search engine... well, I feel sorry for you.

And as guide to how popular it'll be? That doesn't help if you've already coded and marketed the game. You're doing the same thing as releasing it with the option to pre-order.

The additional content really isn't THAT much of an incentive. Like I said before, it's a game for your iPod/Phone. It's not really a big deal if you have an extra gun in the game. Only hardcore gamers would care about it, and those types usually have 2-3 dedicated game consoles.

8. Mwalk

Mwalk Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Dirt poor student
    In the old stompin' grounds of Simon Kenton on the
    Well pre-ordering will allow Itouch users the ability to get the apps on their computer and transfer the app to the Itouch, in wifi poor places.

9. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    ... this post makes no sense.

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    pre orders could give devs money beforehand to fund the game and make it better before release so we don't have to deal with the whole, 1.1 update which remakes the game (directed at you, light riders :mad:)

11. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    there is an unlimited supply of each app so i dont see a point to it

12. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    no because what if you pay $10 and the app gets rejected!:eek:

13. brewstermax

That's what I'm saying. When there is a completely unlimited supply, preorder and waiting all night is pointless.

14. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    if i know a dev is going to release a game i'm interested in any time soon, then yes, i'd like to pre-order.

there's no particular reason why or why not to. it's just a bit of convenience. and why not? if i wake up one morning to find an expected game is already waiting to be installed in my in-box, then yes, i'd be happy.

i'm off on a 3 week vacation without my ipod in the next week or so (yup, it's gonna be tough), and there's 3 or 4 games i'm looking forward to being released probably whilst i'm away, so if i could pre-order them and have them waiting for me then i'd be happy :)

15. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    before release doesn't mean before coding. how much before do you mean? would you buy a game that hasn't been coded yet? That sounds crazy.