Prairie Chute 1.1 : iTunes Gift Certificate Contest!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by matt.johnson.mobile, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Super if you can, maybe practice clearing the sky prior to getting to the cactus. Try and tap the birds maybe like the last two or three and hope that there flight path is near the edges before you bounce. It's worked for me a couple times. May have just been flukes but at least you think you have some control. ;)

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Easy or not, luck alone should not be factor in any game IMHO. And in anycase the game is still challenging even without that combo. There's a fine line between challenging and frustrating. Right now I think it's more on the frustrating side than challenging.

If adding the speed up button makes it too easy then add some restriction with it. Like you can only use it once per level and that too for no more than 2 seconds. Or else think of some other way to ensure that luck alone does not become a factor in any situation.

3. Maelick

Maelick Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    do you mean because the cactus in middle + hole in middle with fence zapping once your below bouncy cactus = death?

if so think horizontally go in side ways gives you that extra time...not luck

regardless you still dumped on my score...jerk (kidding) :D:D:D

edit - still didnt look clear to me, drop your parachute while going in at an angle

4. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    I do that all the time and it works in the levels where birds are moving slowly. But the faster ones you can't control this way at all. By the time you touch the cactus the top most bird already has completed 2+ rounds.

And once again. My bringing up of such suggestion has nothing to do with my own frustration here. Only trying to point out how this game can get better. For the greater good of man Prairie-kind ;)

5. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #105 ImNoSuperMan, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah that really helps when there is bomb on the side of the mountain and that dog/jackal watever is coming from the left side :p

Also not to forget there are bombs on the ground on either side of the hole too. So if you drag away too much then you'll hit the bombs while coming back.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah I guess as long as there was some limit to it a speed up power up would be a good idea. Maybe you could collect speed up power ups while falling and you would be able to keep them throughout the entire game.

7. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Argh.... Same damn thing happened again after 22 holes. Tied with Jason now.

If speed up doesn't sount like a good idea, how bout adding some sort of indication for electric fence to know exactly when it'll go off. This time I tried Maelicks idea and swayed side ways to buy some time. But I bought a little too much time and hit the bomb on the ground on the way back. This happened coz I had no idea when the fence will be electrified as it was off when it first came to sight. Had I not swayed I'd have made it as the it was electrified within a second and would have went off before Wally hit the hole even when it was going down straight only.

Adding an indicator like green lighs on the fence when there is more than 5 seconds remaining before it turns on again, yellow light when it'll be on in 3 seconds, and red when it's going to turn on in just one second.
    This will allow the player to have a chance at better judgment call in that one particular(and most frustrating) situation. Otherwise I'm sure people will son be asking for refunds. Not for the app but the iDevices they broke out of frustration when such a thing happen again n agin :p

8. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    +1. If you need to collect these powerups then the game won't become easy with the speed button.

9. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    We have confirmed the final two winners of the contest:

Rachel : Easy Difficulty (41)
    Maelick : Medium Difficulty (19)

Congrats to all! We will probably run another give away contest soon. We appreciate your continued support of the game.

Matt

10. matt.johnson.mobile

matt.johnson.mobile Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Murphy, TX
    I'm not crazy about adding another button or mechanic to the game to be honest, the idea about the indicator lights are interesting... but I'm curious if you feel the following might help with the chance frustration you are having:

Version 1.5 which will most likely be finished next week will incorporate the ability to earn extra lives, so... you have a chance to earn another life before the onset of the fences, so if this situation occurs and you don't luck out, at least you can have another chance. Also, the timing on the fences are shifted from round to round, I could look at making it consistent if there is a widespread issue with them... personally I like the tension of not exactly knowing :)

11. Maelick

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    oh yeah, i forgot about the upcoming extra life....thats gonna make the leaderboard crazy addicting once again! CANT WAIT!!!

As a person that has won nothing more glorious than a t-shirt ONE TIME in 26 years...THANK YOU!!!!! Your game rules, and so do your constant updates!!! Thanks so much...this is honestly the best thing ive ever won!

BTW dont try to redeem your code from the iphone mail app...says its not recognized, i even tried using the redeem button under featured in the appstore app and it still didnt work.

Once i used my computer clicked the email worked first time! SWEEET!

12. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    I completely forgot bout extra lives in the next update. With the ability to earn extra lives, I think it won't be as frustrating when you die mainly coz of luck. So not that much need to speed up I guess.

But I'll still vote for indicator lights. If not as detailed as I mentioned earlier, then just keep the red light only which alerts one second before it turns on.

13. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    And one more thing I forgot, touch controls for the birds needs to be improved a bit. It works perfectly most of the times but sometimes it doesn't at all for some reason. I need to touch it quite a few times before it's recognized by the game.

14. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    This is a really good thread and has a lot of game changing discussion, it's too bad it's in the promo section.

I get ya super with the whole fence thing. It seems as though part of the game in the current state is to play and reply until your luck gets you past the certain progression points. Like 9 and 22 on hard. Those two are frequently the demise of my game because that's where your luck ends. Unless you know to hit the cactus before hand there's no way out. Not much you can do about it either except start over. Just curious what we would do if we had lights and realized in that last second that it just wasn't gonna happen. Would we be at the point where we could even hit the cactus and take a chance bouncing or would we be past the point of no return? Rather than a light how about a 1 second pulse charge on the probes before arcing? I think that would stick with the theme better. Question still remains though what would the warning give us. I have a feeling I would see that I wasn't gonna make it and all I would be able to do is panic to my impending failure.

I think Matt is going to revamp the hit detection on everything including Wally in the next update. I also think the extra lives may take care of the sacrificial life that will be given to the non passable electric fence.

15. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Well right now the fence turns on and off at a random pace in each level. So you can not be sure if you`ll make it or not. If I have an idea about when it`ll go on as soon as it shows up on the screen, I can make a better judgement call on wether to go straight in, or sway a bit. In case It looks like it wont work out in any of the option, then we still have time to try and jump off the cactus.

Or one more idea here to further confuse you Matt. What if the birds cant eat wally on his way up? In that case we can take a chance jumping off the cactus without any fear of being caught on the way up. Though the problem wont be as big if you have extra lives, just found 2 cents in my left pocket and decided to throw them at you :p

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I just have to say thanks again! This I think is the first amount of money I have ever won (I normally have terrible luck). I will certainly be participating in upcoming contests, it was really fun (however frustrating sometimes haha).

I can't wait for the update, the one life thing should really improve gameplay and take out some of the luck factor.

I don't think this should be implemented :p, I see where you are coming from but this really adds to the challenge plus we are getting an extra life.

17. Maelick

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    im with rachel on this one...it adds to the difficulty, but i would however have no problem with maybe just the top 1 or 2 being able to eat you on the way up.

honestly i dont use the cactus much so i could take it or leave it

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah that could work but it could be hard to implement since the birds change position every level. I'm no programmer but it seems it could be problematic, maybe not though.

19. Maelick

Aug 7, 2009
    Read Above
    Myrtle Beach, SC USA
    this is true im not sure how the positioning of wally works, i know it measures fall but not sure about jumps hmm..

20. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    was playing a little bit ago and dropped just after the plane and hit a cactus and went high enough to see the question mark in the title screen
    for a second i thought you were holding out on a special feature until i realized what it was
    not really negative or positive just thought it was interesting lol maybe it could be incorporated in a later version as an achievment (could be called 'off the charts' lol)