Practical applications for your iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Christopher, Mar 31, 2009.

1. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Apols on iPhone so not able to include links

Filemagnet: use to sync across docs from desktop version on my Mac via wifi (still feels near to drag a doc into the window on Mac and see it instantly appear on phone)

Stanza - superb book reader which is so customizable it seems (to me) easier on the eyes than hardcopy books (hope they don't get killed by amazon's Kindle app)

Netnewswire - RSS aggregator / reader (another which is best in concert with it's desktop version as it syncs which feeds read on all versions)

Truphone - VOIP - use for calling parents abroad of partner when she's back home in Australia - great to be able to call international for a couple of pence a minute on a mobile in a coffee shop with wifi!)

London Cams - traffic camera views in nice free app

Shapewriter - her clever note taking app - you make a shape on a keyboard linking all letters to spell word - can be quicker than in-built keyboard (not so hot with numeric keypad and symbols - so still use Notes a lot

Sadly my all time favourite non game app was discontinued - specific to uk but very well implemented FREE train info app called My Rail Lite. National Rail Enquiries who own the train timetables in Uk cancelled the dev's prev agreed right to use train times info - and then - surprise surprise - brought out their own 'copy' app with a 5GPB price .... Bstds

Anyhoo - hope some of these of use to peeps who hadn't stumbled across them

[this thread highlights, I think, a need for great non game apps review site along the lines of what this place does for games]

2. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Numerus - best calculator app to replace a TI-84. It has a running tape that's easy to scroll, plus the ability to quickly edit prior calculations.

Gas Cubby - I don't know why, but the geek in me loves tracking mileage. This is pretty easy to use, and has charts galore: mileage graphs, price graphs, average miles per week, and so on. It also tracks maintenance and total expenses.

Snap - This is a network probe tool. It works great for setting up a network, checking for open ports, and general knowledge about the devices on the network.

Weatherbug Elite - Ugly icon, but this is the ultimate weather tool. Finally moving radar! You can also see charts of wind speed, cloud cover, surface temperature, and so on. Very nice!

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I use iExpenseit to keep track of all my expenses, right down to the 100 yen pack of gum I buy. It's really handy because I tried to do this on the computer but I could never keep track of my receipts and by the time I got home it just seemed like too much work. But on the iTouch I can update it as soon as I buy whatever.

4. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
  5. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Unfortunately, weather bug only displays the temperature in Fahrenheit, and has a very limited set of possible locations, at least here in Japan.

6. TheZimm

TheZimm Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Appigo's ToDo-I love it, so useful

G-Map US EAST-It's so much quicker to use on edge, and when 3.0 comes it'll be awesome!

Quad Camera-Now I can take up to 8 pics at one time, back to back to back

Weatherbug Elite-The best weather app that I've used

Quickoffice-Although some bugs, it's finally a mobile office solution

Guitar Toolkit-Very very useful for a guitarist

Google app-Always need to google something =]

istat/freememory/memorystatus-RAM help

Speed dial

Voice dial

Dictionary

iDicto

Light- =] (not on app store anymore because it changed the brightness)

Zimm

7. adamsm

adamsm Active Member

May 4, 2009
    nobody use bloomberg?!
    it's the best for financial informations on the store...

8. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Nice thread!

How do you guys post just pics of the app which are active links?

When i try to copy the app, i get a long ass url.

Thanks.

I use these the most.

SplashID - great password keeper and easy sync with home computer
    SpellChecker
    Appsniper
    Premium Assistant- all my financial liabilities info on one app
    Epocrates, Lab Values, Lexi-Comp, DxSaurus,Skyscape- Healthcare apps
    Wikipanion
    FML- when life gets too serious...

9. Madeline74

Madeline74 New Member

May 5, 2009
    #30 Madeline74, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
    Practical applications for your iPhone

thaxs for give me valuable information.......................
    resveratrol ultra

10. hanrandy39

hanrandy39 New Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #32 hanrandy39, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    HI, this is hanrandy. this is the discription of the iphone application.

Visa brings you this comprehensive calculator suite as part of its ongoing effort to help students of all ages boost their financial literacy. Explore your own financial information in greater detail by using these powerful tools fore forecasting and assessing your financial choices. During the process, you might discover expenses you can eliminate and more effective ways to manage your money on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. This suite of calculators is also available at the Practical Money Skills website.

11. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Amplitube (or Ampkit) - use my ipod for amp effects and pedals. I use it at church for praiseteam all the time.
    BatteryDoctor
    BibleReader by Olive Tree - has the most functionality for the bible readers.
    Guitar Toolkit - Has metronome, tuner and best of all, HUGE chord dictionary
    Tab Toolkit - For song tabs. GuitarPro and Ultimate Guitar Tabs are also good
    iFitness
    LoseIt - Great app for counting calories
    Nike+ ipod - for running with GPS
    Pandora and TuneInRadio - music
    PimpMyScreen - has some really great wallpapers and app shelves
    Let's Create Pottery - part game, part stress relief
    SketchBook
    WikiHow (Emergency survival kit) - learn how to survive a skydiving accident, escape a sinking car, etc. Very interesting reading if nothing else.
    WhiteNoise - great for going to sleep to.

12. Blairvoyach

Blairvoyach Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Thought I'd give it a try as I am looking for a good converter.

Went straight to LENGTH and typed in 22 in the Metres box, it seemed to miss off the first "2" as every answer was accurate only for 2 metres. Could you give it a try for me and I'll report it if you see the same.

Jeff.

13. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    iPhone Replaces

This is a different take on the thread topic. Not apps, but a list I made for our Simplicity group of all of the things my iPhone replaces. Some are replaced using out-of-the-box iPhone functionality, others are replaced by apps. This is just my list - people in the group responded with ideas as well. If I were traveling and could only take a backpack and an iPhone, its crazy how little I would have to do without. Now only if my iPhone gave me a shower!

My iPhone Replaces List

Phone
    Address book
    Camera
    Video camera
    Scrapbooking
    Scanner
    Note pad and pen
    Calendar
    Alarm clock
    Timer
    Flashlight
    Mail/email/social connectivity
    GPS/maps/metro maps
    Star charts

TV guide
    TV remote
    DVR remote
    TV viewing (Watch ESPN, more coming)
    Movie guide
    Movie viewer (stream Netflix)

Radio (TuneIn, Pandora)

Video game system
    Games/game boards/cards/dice/chess/checkers/backgammon/etc

Word processing
    Presentation creation/editing
    Spreadsheet creation/editing

Books
    Bookmark, bookshelf, booklight, bookstore
    Reference-Dictionary, bible, Koran
    Newspapers
    Magazines
    CD's/records
    CD player/record player

Calculator
    Compass

Weather
    Sports score board
    Geocaching
    Music identification
    Shopping (GasBuddy, Starbucks card, scan apps)

14. cvoregon

cvoregon New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I recommend Polaris Office. It is Productivity app and you can edit document (word, ppt, excel) through this app. If you are iPad user, then you will definitely need this app. It is universal app and support both iPhone and iPad.

15. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India