Universal PPSSPP - PSP Emulator (by Henrik Rydgård)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 15, 2024.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    #1 Boardumb, May 15, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2024 at 12:33 AM
    Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ppsspp-psp-emulator/id6496972903

PPSSPP - PSP emulator

Henrik Rydgård
    Play PSP games on your iOS device, in high definition with extra features! PPSSPP is the original and only PSP emulator…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Play PSP games on your iOS device, in high definition with extra features! PPSSPP is the original and only PSP emulator for mobile devices. It can run nearly all PSP games with great performance on iOS. No games are included with this download. Use your own real PSP games and turn them into .ISO or .CSO files (see the homepage for instructions), or simply play free homemade games, which are available in the built-in "Homebrew Store". The PPSSPP project is in no way affiliated with Sony. PSP is a trademark of Sony.
    Information
    Seller:Henrik Rydgård
    Genre:
    Release:May 15, 2024
    Updated:May 15, 2024
    Version:1.17.1
    Size:34.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

PPSSPP Gold - PSP emulator

Henrik Rydgård
    Play PSP games on your iOS device, at high definition with extra features! PPSSPP is the original PSP emulator for mobi…
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Play PSP games on your iOS device, at high definition with extra features! PPSSPP is the original PSP emulator for mobile devices. It runs a lot of games, but depending on the power of your device all may not run at full speed. No games are included with this download. Use your own real PSP games and turn them into .ISO or .CSO files, or simply play free homemade games, which are available in the built-in "homebrew store". PPSSPP Gold has all the amazing features of the free version, like savestates, higher resolution and post processing, but also has a nice gold icon and makes you feel good about supporting the project's development. The PPSSPP project is in no way affiliated with Sony. PSP is a trademark of Sony.
    Information
    Seller:Henrik Rydgård
    Genre:
    Release:May 15, 2024
    Updated:May 15, 2024
    Version:1.17.1
    Size:34.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    VirtualBoyFreak and sebgo like this.
  3. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because there are no differences between both versions that it's not going through?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Very impressed with this. Played a fair few

5. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Bought on iPad but not available on us App Store

6. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Great emulation so far on my iPhone 13 Pro Max

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Switched to 1080p (PSPx4) on my 15 Pro without a hint of performance loss. Still navigating the system, but so far so good.

Would gladly pay to support the dev.

Hulkino likes this.
  8. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    For some reason my games aren’t showing up on the app. They load from my files and play fine. They just won’t go into the app as games.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Had the same problem. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as with Delta, which automatically copies the file to its own folder. You need to do it manually, either with your Mac/PC or using the File app on iOS (PPSSPP has its own Games folder in your device).

elcrazy likes this.
  10. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Ahhh. Thank you. I’ll look for the folder.
    So far for iOS delta is the one for me. It really is the easiest to use.

Edit: That worked. Thank you!! Still like Delta lol

sebgo likes this.
  11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Can’t play Final Fantasy Type-O with Delta :).

sebgo likes this.
  12. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Bloodiest FF game I've seen. It has some slight visual issues on Provenance's PPSSPP core, I'll check it on actual PPSSPP and see if it's better.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    So far it looks beautiful on PPSSPP. Do you have the English patched version?

sebgo likes this.
  14. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#14 sebgo, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
    Yes, that's the version I just checked.

It somehow runs or feels a bit faster than on Provenance and the visual issue I experienced isn't present now (some "ghost" clone being cast above the character when standing behind debris at the start of the game). Surprised it works so well, given the fact I have an iPotato (iPh8), although I had already noticed the good performance with my go-to PSP game, Rockband Unplugged, although I first set some settings to their lowest values in order to start from the bottom until I can find a better balance between visual quality and performance.

I forgot to check whether game-specific settings can be applied, so that games that aren't too demanding may be set to higher quality while still performing well and the opposite for demanding titles.

Edit: Yes, it supports game-specific settings. GoW: Ghost of Sparta runs bad on my phone, no matter the settings. Still, that's a game I already beat looooong ago, twice, and only checked it for testing performance. Maybe if they add Vulkan some games can get better performance (I think that one runs faster than GL or whatever).

(ಥ‿ಥ)

15. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    So it works on iPad just downloaded fight night round 3 on the psp emulator

squarezero likes this.
  16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Glad to hear that — so far I’ve found Type O to be a very well written game, and it would be a shame to miss that.

I know you can do Vulkan on Android — that’s what I’m using on my Retroid Pocket 4. That said, I’m getting 60FPS on iOS for Ghost of Sparta, even with OpenGL, but that should not be a surprise on a 15 Pro.

sebgo and Hulkino like this.
  17. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Miyoo mini plus is the small system I have retroarch on. Much different on that than iPhone. But not powerful enough to play certain, mame games. And can’t do n64 or psp. But for what it’s worth that machine is awesome. Gave me all the nostalgia I needed lol.
    Well I thought so. Now I am just downloading all the same stuff to my phone lol.

Oops wrong chat lol

sebgo likes this.
  18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    @sebgo Thanks for reminding me of GoW: Ghost of Sparta. Started playing it again on PPSSPP and I’m just blown away. It’s amazing what the ReadyAtDawn team was able to accomplish in such a limited platform. Highly recommended, even if you haven’t played other games in the franchise.

sebgo likes this.
  19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Cool! I’ll try Test Drive Unlimited ASAP on my iPhone 12. It ran great on a Pocophone F1, so I guess it should be great on the iPhone too.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #20 VirtualBoyFreak, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
    So I tested TDU and it works great, at perfect 60fps using the .INI cheat archive. I had one enormous slowdown which I think was due to having the resolution at PSPx2 and the iPhone overheating, but I turned it to PSPx1 and it’s fantastic.

One weird thing was that I couldn’t copy archives directly from iTunes to the PSP folder. Nonetheless, since I have access to archives through the iPhone, I used another app which accepted archives (Canva) to copy the archives to its folder, and from there move it to PSP using the iPhone internal file explorer (the .ISO to the PPSSPP folder and the .INI to cheats folder inside PSP). on my iPad, which iTunes has detected as a completely new device, I can copy archives to PPSSPP. Therefore, I guess not seeing the PPSSPP archive sharing on iTunes in my iPhone has to do with a wrong setting or similar in my iTunes configuration. Oh well, no worries,

EDIT: Forget it, I wasn’t scrolling down well enough, doh…

I’ve already tested Out Run 2006 and Ridge Racer 2 and they both look awesome. It’s great to be able to play these games on iOS. They look so much better than in the original PSP…

sebgo, Hulkino and squarezero like this.